Car advice

On 22/08/2019 at 17:35, HTG said:

My hyundai i40 automatic judders like f**k when it moves forward in idle or in first gear

Pardon?

Edited by RandomGuy.

The centre part of my exhaust started sounding rough. Took it to a garage:
Spoiler

Hunters of Linlithgow

They quoted me £191 supplied and fitted, but added that it was likely that the catalytic converter would split whilst they were doing the work. If this happened, it would cost me about £500.
Took it to another garage in Polmont. £95 supplied and fitted,. No issues at all. Car works a dream now.  Never using that other garage again. 

The other place JK?

Always found them to be good and reasonably priced.
No spurious works suggested either....

On 24/08/2019 at 14:28, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Wifes car going in for annual service on Monday. Will be waiting on the call and video telling me about heat damage and new brakes required all round.

Had this the other week at the Skoda garage. I received a letter through the door saying the car was due a free engine technical solution upgrade or some such thing, all to do with the VW emissions scandal a couple of years back. I thought f**k it, it's free so may as well!

Suffice to say after an hour of waiting the front desk/service sales dude comes out and gives it, you need this done, that done, new wiper blades at £40 a pop, full set of new tires, brakes needing replaced, etc... I mean the car had literally just passed it's MOT a couple of weeks back! 

So I said thanks very much for washing the car inside and out, and bid him adieu.

Wifes car going in for annual service on Monday. Will be waiting on the call and video telling me about heat damage and new brakes required all round.
Only advice this time around was to fit new discs when the pads are replaced next time. 'Bizarrely' these are the same discs that were on the car a few months ago that needed replaced according to the free healthcheck during some warranty work. Same garage as well. Guess I either got an honest mechanic or targets for the month had been met.

Only advice this time around was to fit new discs when the pads are replaced next time. 'Bizarrely' these are the same discs that were on the car a few months ago that needed replaced according to the free healthcheck during some warranty work. Same garage as well. Guess I either got an honest mechanic or targets for the month had been met.

It’s new apprentice season at AC and brake disc replacement is the first job they learn. Thick spotty teenagers near safety components *shudder*

On 27/08/2019 at 20:27, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Lost a wheel trim tonight. No idea how because they are cable tied. Anyway due to how much I’m working this week it will likely be Monday before I can get anything delivered/collected. I take it there’s no serious issue driving without a wheel trim for a week?

It'll be ok from a distance, but up close people will know you can't afford alloys. This will be humiliating, leading to dangerous lapses in concentration and certain death.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my stupidity but should tyres not be same front and back?
My scenic has 205/60/16r at front but 205/55/16r at the back.
Seems odd for family car