Car advice

Just now, deej said:

Yeah I'm going to get it in next week I think. 

Is selling privately easy enough? Can't be arsed with any hassle tbh

Yeah, you both just sign the log book and send it off to the DVLA. You can probably do it online now.

44 minutes ago, deej said:

Yeah I'm going to get it in next week I think. 

Is selling privately easy enough? Can't be arsed with any hassle tbh

Edit: Obviously depends on the buyer, but I mean the paperwork side of things

I've only ever sold a car privately once but was surprised at how easy it was. Unless you're absolutely desperate to get rid ASAP, i'd say avoid WBAC.

I just took a few photos, stuck it on Auto Trader (think the advert was about £60) and it had sold within a couple of days.

I was selling an Astra at the time so there were loads of them out there. My thought process at the time was to set the advertised price at around 10%-15% more than what I was willing to accept as nobody will offer the advertised price so it gives you a bit of room to negotiate. When I was selling mine I put it up for £5000 but had a figure of around £4500 in my head. Think I ended up selling it for £4700 in the end.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've only ever sold a car privately once but was surprised at how easy it was. Unless you're absolutely desperate to get rid ASAP, i'd say avoid WBAC.

I just took a few photos, stuck it on Auto Trader (think the advert was about £60) and it had sold within a couple of days.

I was selling an Astra at the time so there were loads of them out there. My thought process at the time was to set the advertised price at around 10%-15% more than what I was willing to accept as nobody will offer the advertised price so it gives you a bit of room to negotiate. When I was selling mine I put it up for £5000 but had a figure of around £4500 in my head. Think I ended up selling it for £4700 in the end.

Done both private sale and WBAC sale depending on circumstance. 

I find that private sales are best for low value cars that dealers and others aren't interested. The issue is the tyre kickers and time wasters- "I know it's £2500 but I've only got £1500".

I'm always wary of getting paid with private individuals when it gets to be a large sum too. WBAC and Part-Ex are quick and less hassle so it is a balance. Last car I sold was worth £5k-5.5k but had some wear and tear / rust and things starting to need done. I had a new car and I wanted shot quickly. Did WBAC who were only interested in visual appearance. Got quoted £5000 but accepted £4500 eventually from them after the nonsense £3000 quotes they started to give were kicked into touch. I was happy with that price and it took about 1 hour from me driving down there to getting home so not bad.

Saw it on Autotrader with a dealer trying to flog it for £6500- good luck to them - as good a car as it had been to me, I'd never buy it at that price with knowledge! Just isn't worth that!

Edited by flyingscot

Thinking about selling my wee swift. Whats the best way to go about it? Webuyanycar quoted 760 which is a pisstake, its not a hugely valuable car but should be worth double that. 

MOT is due 5th September and Tax on the 1st. 

Gumtree. It’s piss easy and free. Set the price competitively and your phone will ring off the hook.

On 23/07/2019 at 00:41, pub car king said:

Our fiesta has a light on with the fault code for the front o2 sensor I have a cheap code reader so turned it off. It's not driving any differently so going to leave it. O2 sensors are common on petrol cars so will just have to wait and see. 

I drive a Vauxhall Astra.

Engine Management light needed to be turned of for the MOT, now a fail if on.

Cost me £250,  170 of it for the part.

Passed MOT two weeks ago and came back on again today.

Don't know whether to take it back to Mechanic or wait untill near next MOT date to get it sorted.

The EML's are notoriously hard to keep off at times.

Edited by sureiknow

15 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Don't know whether to take it back to Mechanic or wait untill near next MOT date to get it sorted.

Some shoe polish over the warning light should do the trick.

Failing that heater on full windows open 

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Some shoe polish over the warning light should do the trick.

Failing that heater on full windows open 

Wish it was that easy, was considering a bit of black tape over it but the MOT inspector has to see it come on then go of again. And stay off.

Spoil Sport.

The 1.3 diesel by any chance?

A friend has sold his to a mechanic after years of it cutting out whilst driving around.

Its suspected to be the fuel manifold pressure sensor but it's been in 2 garages about 3 times each.

33 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

A friend has sold his to a mechanic after years of it cutting out whilst driving around.

Its suspected to be the fuel manifold pressure sensor but it's been in 2 garages about 3 times each.

Not a 1.4 Petrol.

Maybe problems with Vauxhalls?

My Girlfriend has a Corsa and her EML is on too.

Take the lamp out behind the dash, problem sorted

9 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Not a 1.4 Petrol.

Maybe problems with Vauxhalls?

My Girlfriend has a Corsa and her EML is on too.

This fills me with joy having traded down to a 1.4 corsa.

I will be shortly taking ownership of a 5 year old astra excitingbtimes agead, anyway it has only got an FM factory radio (first world problems).

Has anyone got a DAB adapter kit that converts their FM radio to digital using a little box?

If so is it any good and which one have you got as I have seen the pure highway 600 is quite heavily reduced on amazon and also acts as a hands free for the phone.

Yes I have pre emptied this by winding down the windows and turning the heater on.

I will be shortly taking ownership of a 5 year old astra excitingbtimes agead, anyway it has only got an FM factory radio (first world problems).
Has anyone got a DAB adapter kit that converts their FM radio to digital using a little box?
If so is it any good and which one have you got as I have seen the pure highway 600 is quite heavily reduced on amazon and also acts as a hands free for the phone.
Yes I have pre emptied this by winding down the windows and turning the heater on.
I got a Majority Journey A10. £25 from Amazon. Does hands free, Bluetooth, DAB, mounts on vent or windscreen.

On 16/08/2019 at 14:35, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 15/08/2019 at 22:01, pub car king said:

I got a Majority Journey A10. £25 from Amazon. Does hands free, Bluetooth, DAB, mounts on vent or windscreen.

Took a punt on this for 25 quid from amazon, I've test fitted it in the outgoing motor. By fitting I've left the aerial in the packet on the dashboard and plugged in the charger. That said f**k me this thing is good not just good for the price but genuinely decent, the sound is crystal clear, its easy to use and quick to respond. Only issue is the hands free is a bit hit and miss when you press the button for the phone book, but I never bought it for that so not overly concerned.

The centre part of my exhaust started sounding rough. Took it to a garage:

Spoiler

Hunters of Linlithgow

They quoted me £191 supplied and fitted, but added that it was likely that the catalytic converter would split whilst they were doing the work. If this happened, it would cost me about £500.

Took it to another garage in Polmont. £95 supplied and fitted,. No issues at all. Car works a dream now.  Never using that other garage again. 

My hyundai i40 automatic judders like f**k when it moves forward in idle or in first gear - especially when the engine is cold. Presume a gearbox issue. Car is only 3 years old.  Warranty job? 

My hyundai i40 automatic judders like f**k when it moves forward in idle or in first gear - especially when the engine is cold. Presume a gearbox issue. Car is only 3 years old.  Warranty job? 
Being a Hyundai it must still be under warranty? I say you take it to a dealer and let them suss it out.

Guest Moomintroll

The car is fine.
It's because you are possibly the worst driver I have ever seen.
No spacial awareness, every stop is like an emergency one.  Truly terrifying.

Spacial awareness, you say?