Car advice

Car shopping tomorrow.

Going to test drive a Vauxhall Crossland X. It's within my budget and looks to have decent kit but it'll come down to the drive. I was put off buying a Corsa last time because I'm not an 18 year old ned and because even with a 1.4 engine it felt really underpowered.

Other options would be a year old Qashqai. I liked the size and the comfort when I had one as a courtesy car. Also looking at a 2019 Honda Jazz 1.5 sport. Had a first gen Jazz and it was a great wee car to own. I like the idea of the updated sport version.

One for the mechanics here, is there an easy way to change the side light bulb on a grand scenic MK2 if you have big hands? How the genuine f**k am I meant to get my hand in there?
There is a battery and a bloody bar in the way
Also, there is a certain place in hell for whoever designed their bonnet release mechanism.

Car shopping tomorrow.
Going to test drive a Vauxhall Crossland X. It's within my budget and looks to have decent kit but it'll come down to the drive. I was put off buying a Corsa last time because I'm not an 18 year old ned and because even with a 1.4 engine it felt really underpowered.
Other options would be a year old Qashqai. I liked the size and the comfort when I had one as a courtesy car. Also looking at a 2019 Honda Jazz 1.5 sport. Had a first gen Jazz and it was a great wee car to own. I like the idea of the updated sport version.

I bought the wife a Crossland X at the start of the year. She seems to like it. I drive it occasionally and it’s a decent enough drive. Not particularly powerful when pulling away, but depends what your used to.

I’ve just ordered a Honda Civic EX. I needed to change from the Audi as the BIK Tax was crazy.
Anyone had any experience with the Civic (and particular EX)?
Low emissions help on the BIK Tax.

Ford fiesta, 2015, 49,000 miles

Engine light came on in March, no obvious change in car behaviour, was due a service in April so fully serviced and ran fine till last month

Engine light back on, into garage, was told there's nothing obvious and the engine fault code suggested maybe the car maybe sat around a lot. Car is used 40 per day miles mon - fri. Was suggested I put some engine cleaner in the fuel and that would assist the problem.

Got that done, charged me 30 quid for it, now i trust this guy with cars he has serviced me and families cars for years. Engine light came back on 3 weeks later.

How worried should i be? Its got a lot of miles for its age, car has felt no different all 3 times light has came on, feel a little confused that the mechanic seemed unsure of the exact problem.

20 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

One for the mechanics here, is there an easy way to change the side light bulb on a grand scenic MK2 if you have big hands? 

No.

18 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I’ve just ordered a Honda Civic EX. I needed to change from the Audi as the BIK Tax was crazy.
Anyone had any experience with the Civic (and particular EX)?
Low emissions help on the BIK Tax.

Depends. The 2.2 diesel engines are solid if you service them regularly.

6 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Engine light came on in March, no obvious change in car behaviour, was due a service in April so fully serviced and ran fine till last month

Engine light back on, into garage, was told there's nothing obvious and the engine fault code suggested maybe the car maybe sat around a lot. Car is used 40 per day miles mon - fri. Was suggested I put some engine cleaner in the fuel and that would assist the problem.

Got that done, charged me 30 quid for it, now i trust this guy with cars he has serviced me and families cars for years. Engine light came back on 3 weeks later.

How worried should i be? Its got a lot of miles for its age, car has felt no different all 3 times light has came on, feel a little confused that the mechanic seemed unsure of the exact problem.

Hard to tell without the actual fault code, tbh.

Our fiesta has a light on with the fault code for the front o2 sensor I have a cheap code reader so turned it off. It's not driving any differently so going to leave it. O2 sensors are common on petrol cars so will just have to wait and see. 

5 hours ago, Crroma said:

As RandomGuy says without the fault code it'd be pretty hard to guess, it's not throwing your car into limp mode so I wouldn't be shiting myself to much. Depending on how confident the mechanic is on the car, how great the software he's using and how good he is with it might determine why he's not sure.  

It's pretty odd to say the car sits around allot if it's got 50,000 miles before it's 5 year point. If I was going to throw out that I would've checked the mileage first tbh. 

Our fiesta has a light on with the fault code for the front o2 sensor I have a cheap code reader so turned it off. It's not driving any differently so going to leave it. O2 sensors are common on petrol cars so will just have to wait and see. 
The front one went on my old civic and it passed the emissions tests no bother, it was more economical after I replaced it mind you

22 hours ago, Mitch said:

I bought the wife a Crossland X at the start of the year. She seems to like it. I drive it occasionally and it’s a decent enough drive. Not particularly powerful when pulling away, but depends what your used to.

I went for a test drive this morning. Other than a gear box that feels slightly vague and a biting point thats a bit higher up the clutch, it drove pretty well. The 130 version of the engine didnt feel underpowered or sluggish. Certainly something I can live with.

I'm picking it up as soon as my bank clear my loan.

Get a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and OBD fusion app for your phone and it should help identify the code which you can then google to get the issue.

I went for a test drive this morning. Other than a gear box that feels slightly vague and a biting point thats a bit higher up the clutch, it drove pretty well. The 130 version of the engine didnt feel underpowered or sluggish. Certainly something I can live with.
I'm picking it up as soon as my bank clear my loan.

The two mentions around the gear box and the clutch are the two things I notice when I jump in. I’m bound to find a car a bit strange if I am only jumping in it once a month or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about selling my wee swift. Whats the best way to go about it? Webuyanycar quoted 760 which is a pisstake, its not a hugely valuable car but should be worth double that. 

MOT is due 5th September and Tax on the 1st. 

32 minutes ago, deej said:

Thinking about selling my wee swift. Whats the best way to go about it? Webuyanycar quoted 760 which is a pisstake, its not a hugely valuable car but should be worth double that. 

MOT is due 5th September and Tax on the 1st. 

If you think it will pass the MOT I'd get it done now, much easier to sell with a year on it. And put the word around family, friends and work colleagues, if it's not a wreck it sounds ideal for a first car for somebody or somebody's kid, especially with college about to start.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you think it will pass the MOT I'd get it done now, much easier to sell with a year on it. And put the word around family, friends and work colleagues, if it's not a wreck it sounds ideal for a first car for somebody or somebody's kid, especially with college about to start.

Yeah it'd be an ideal starter car. Not sure on the MOT as I've got a feeling it'll be expensive, but that's pretty much based on previous issues that have been fixed, as it runs absolutely fine. 

4 minutes ago, deej said:

Yeah it'd be an ideal starter car. Not sure on the MOT as I've got a feeling it'll be expensive, but that's pretty much based on previous issues that have been fixed, as it runs absolutely fine. 

It would be worth £50 to find out for the added value if successful, doesn't commit you to get any work done. If someone tried to sell me a car with a few weeks left on the MOT I'd be well suspicious and expect a very cheap price.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be worth £50 to find out for the added value if successful, doesn't commit you to get any work done.

Yeah I'm going to get it in next week I think. 

Is selling privately easy enough? Can't be arsed with any hassle tbh

Edit: Obviously depends on the buyer, but I mean the paperwork side of things

Edited by deej