Car advice

Some absolute nugget scraped my rear bumper when I was parked at the beach recently. The scrapes are very deep and it looks like more work than just a paint touch up. The reflector is also broken. As someone who knows absolutely zip about anything car related, could anyone estimate how much a new bumper would be if it came to that? 
Bumpers aren't generic.

Some absolute nugget scraped my rear bumper when I was parked at the beach recently. The scrapes are very deep and it looks like more work than just a paint touch up. The reflector is also broken. As someone who knows absolutely zip about anything car related, could anyone estimate how much a new bumper would be if it came to that? 
A brand new bumper to fit specific car could cost you in excess of a grand, especially if damage underneath

When getting quotes, consider your local independent SMART repair guy. Both my nearside doors were keyed and local guy repaired to new for under £300. Very impressed.
Consider all avenues. Cheapest may not be best but anything beats a new bumper.

Got a VW Touran, company car, fully serviced. I've noticed that the engine fan runs for an inordinately long time after switching off. Yesterday, after a short 2-3 mile trip it ran for over 10 minutes after I parked up. Strong smell of oil/heat too. Normal?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I need a couple of new tyres but I also need to get the tracking done - does anywhere do both in one go (Stirling area if poss)? Otherwise I'm going to have to spend whatever on tyre fitting then almost the same again on alignment.

All tyre places will do alignment. My choice in the area is JK Tyres. I have a - maybe irrational - distrust of the KwikFit/NTS type places. Also check internet prices for your preferred brand of tyres. Most places will price match.

I need a couple of new tyres but I also need to get the tracking done - does anywhere do both in one go (Stirling area if poss)? Otherwise I'm going to have to spend whatever on tyre fitting then almost the same again on alignment.
Jump on blackcircles and check the prices, I've always found them significantly cheaper for tyres than the likes of farmers or qwik fit.

It's not standard though is it? Any time I've had tyres they balance them but I've always had to do alignment on top of it. If I'm spending £120 on a couple of tyres, another £60 for alignment is a sair one, I was kind of hoping somewhere might throw it into the bargain

Good luck. Hi, I’d like a bacon sandwich please. I’ll pay for the bread but can you throw in the bacon for free?

10 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

There's these magical things called loss leaders that businesses sometimes use to generate repeat custom. They'll sometimes refer to these as a 'special offer'. I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything like that but thanks for your contribution.

I'd be surprised if any company used their £50k tracking machine and didn't charge for it. Just the way of the world.

My local garage lets me supply my own tyres and they fit them for £15 a wheel. I find tyres on Ebay to be very cheap when they have 20% off and saving about £150 all in compared to supply and fit.

They are also fine for me to let them source replacement parts or bring my own as well. They even suggested it for some bits.

Not looking forward to the day they sell up.

7 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

My local garage lets me supply my own tyres and they fit them for £15 a wheel. I find tyres on Ebay to be very cheap when they have 20% off and saving about £150 all in compared to supply and fit.

They are also fine for me to let them source replacement parts or bring my own as well. They even suggested it for some bits.

Not looking forward to the day they sell up.

^^^

Cowdenbeath cheapskate.