Car advice

I was driven home tonight in a Leaf taxi, I was alarmed at the rate that the battery % dropped over a 20 mile journey.

I will need a lot of convincing that electric is the way forward.

ETA, the driver said that charging wasn't a problem to him as the company he worked for had a car on charge and when his car battery was depleting , he just  swapped over.

f**k that.

Edited by Zen Archer

Electric cars are still in their infancy but have progressed at some rate. That said the range and time taken to charge  is still the issue until they can be fully charged in the time it takes to fill up with fuel they're not going to be a viable option for a lot of people. 

6 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I was driven home tonight in a Leaf taxi, I was alarmed at the rate that the battery % dropped over a 20 mile journey.

ETA, the driver said that charging wasn't a problem to him as the company he worked for had a car on charge and when his car battery was depleting , he just  swapped over.

f**k that.

^^^Lives quarter of a mile from the pub, but taxi drivers take the pish out him.

17 hours ago, Rugster said:

Take it to a garage you tight c**t. 

This. 

If your cars just bought and under warranty, and develops a fault, dont hum, haw and speculate about what's gone wrong.

You have the right to take it back to the seller (who potentially knows what the issue is), and they have the right to get one attempt to sort it. 

Going down any other route just muddies the waters if you reach the stage of handing the car back.

This. 
If your cars just bought and under warranty, and develops a fault, dont hum, haw and speculate about what's gone wrong.
You have the right to take it back to the seller (who potentially knows what the issue is), and they have the right to get one attempt to sort it. 
Going down any other route just muddies the waters if you reach the stage of handing the car back.
I am taking it back this week, I emailed them on Friday and will drop it in. I was just trying to do some independent research in meantime. I obviously thought, quite incorrectly, that out of the 49k registered members on P&B that one person might understand the mechanisms of a faulty Duel mass flywheel.

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
This. 

I am taking it back this week, I emailed them on Friday and will drop it in. I was just trying to do some independent research in meantime. I obviously thought, quite incorrectly, that out of the 49k registered members on P&B that one person might understand the mechanisms of a faulty Duel mass flywheel.

Duel mass , is that some sort of fighting priest ? 

This. 

Does the noise go away when you dip the clutch?

Does it get worse under heavy load?

Can you do anything to affect the noise?

Youd be getting a heavy thudding noise more than a vibration, from my experience of them, and youd hear a different noise when under load. But if you're getting a vibration when sitting idle, it can literally only be something on the block. I wouldnt rule out a misfire as my own car had one and didn't put a light on. Dont even rule out something stupid like an engine mounting if you're not able to affect the noise. But the dual mass flywheel are a common problem, they can seize and instead of absorbing the shock they just transfer it back through the crankshaft.

Honestly, it's hard to diagnose certain things without seeing the car and understand exactly what's going on.

Edited by RandomGuy.

This. 

Aye, the board of 'turning down the volume', 'heaters on and windows down', 'dugshite on the door handles' and 'kick her in the pie' is the place for independent advice.  

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

Very surprised they're cheaper.

Thought absolute minimum they'd be slightly more expensive

I'd have thought electrical cars would have far fewer parts, so less to go wrong and easier to service.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'd have thought electrical cars would have far fewer parts, so less to go wrong and easier to service.

Wasn't my thinking.

When something is new on the market they do seem to enjoy screwing  you for it.

35 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I think it depends more on the replacement cost of the car.

And job. You save a fortune by giving yourself a slightly different category, hopefully within the realms of vague truth.

13 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

What's the service costs on Hybrid and electric cars compared with a standard petrol car?

No doubt all that savings on unleaded/diesel will get lost on OTT service costs

I've got a hybrid. I wouldn't say it has cost more than my last diesel to service, it seems pretty much the same. It does make you have to go to a franchise dealer to get a test of the battery every year to keep its warranty active. This is free, but of course, they would check and recommend repair of other things which was well mostly overly expensive at main dealer prices. 

I've actually gone back to petrol only for my next car, which is a shame as I wanted another but hybrids are silly money now since the diesel scandal and the extra per month doesn't add up for me. 

f**k that.

Keep in mind the tesla model 3 releases in the UK this year, comparable price to a bmw3 series and a 300 mile range with a battery that can be 70% charged in 20 mins or so, it’ll be a game changer. Prices will come down in next ten years.

On 4/25/2019 at 09:59, Rugster said:

Got my new car on Monday. Delighted with it. Loads of gadgets and the weirdest one was when I was driving to work yesterday using cruise control and the car started to slow down. I thought I'd accidentally clicked it off, but it has some ninja radar thing that senses when there are vehicles in front of you and it was slowing down and speeding up accordingly. 

Radar controlled cruise control will make those long trips to Stranraer etc more relaxing.