Car advice

23 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Looking for a bit of advice. Can anyone recommend a decent garage in Bishopbriggs where I can get an MOT done?

If the McConechy's near Stobhill is still there, it's as good as any.

Failing that ,Milngavie and Bearsden Garage down in Torrance is pretty good.

On 10/12/2018 at 15:50, Shandon Par said:

I went past a speed camera van thingy yesterday. Near-empty 3 lane motorway on a clear day. The Jag may have been travelling a little briskly. Just cleared all of my previous points too. 

On 10/12/2018 at 18:07, 8MileBU said:

^^^ Just wanted to mention ‘The Jag’

Never understood the fuss about Jaguars, every one I've worked on is literally identical to a Ford underneath, only difference is the price detoriates quicker.

On 16/12/2018 at 12:56, 8MileBU said:

My old runaround 1.6 TDCI Focus keeps almost cutting out (stutters like it’s going to stall but doesn’t actually stall), an ‘Engine Malfunction’ warning light comes up on the dashboard and the car goes down to what feels like 25% of the usual power.
Had a mechanic mate run diagnostics on it which brought up nothing on the first gadget, but brought up the following on his other gadget:

IMG_7798.jpg

However, a different mechanic acquaintance had a look and got nothing coming up when he ran a diagnostic and suggested that before I fork out for what might not actually be the real problem in the pic above, to try give it a run and boot it to about 100mph incase it’s a build up of crap that needs blasted out that’s causing the issue. However, high revs seem to make it malfunction and I don’t want caught doing 100mph! I’ve had the ‘build up of crap’ issue before with a previous car, but I’m not convinced that’s what it is this time.

Anybody had a similar issue?

Did you get to the bottom of this?

We had similar a few weeks back and it was just the Fuel Filter beginning to choke, idled perfect, so obviously not completely choked, but as soon as you sank it and requested more fuel it couldn't cope, pressure in the rail didn't match what was requested, and it went into limp mode to protect itself.

Edited by RandomGuy.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never understood the fuss about Jaguars, every one I've worked on is literally identical to a Ford underneath, only difference is the price detoriates quicker.

The old x type was a Mondeo underneath. XE is lovely to drive. Don’t drive my wife’s Merc as it so gash in comparison.

11 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The old x type was a Mondeo underneath. XE is lovely to drive. Don’t drive my wife’s Merc as it so gash in comparison.

Depends what XE you have, the 2.0 litre is a Mondeo engine.

On 16/12/2018 at 12:56, 8MileBU said:

My old runaround 1.6 TDCI Focus keeps almost cutting out (stutters like it’s going to stall but doesn’t actually stall), an ‘Engine Malfunction’ warning light comes up on the dashboard and the car goes down to what feels like 25% of the usual power.
Had a mechanic mate run diagnostics on it which brought up nothing on the first gadget, but brought up the following on his other gadget:

IMG_7798.jpg

However, a different mechanic acquaintance had a look and got nothing coming up when he ran a diagnostic and suggested that before I fork out for what might not actually be the real problem in the pic above, to try give it a run and boot it to about 100mph incase it’s a build up of crap that needs blasted out that’s causing the issue. However, high revs seem to make it malfunction and I don’t want caught doing 100mph! I’ve had the ‘build up of crap’ issue before with a previous car, but I’m not convinced that’s what it is this time.

Anybody had a similar issue?

Sorry for this spurious nonsesne if you already got this issue sorted.

I had a very similar issue with my 1.9cdti Vectra, last month; loss of power, plumes of shitey exhaust gas etc. I tried the Italian tune up to no avail. My old man is mechanic and we looked at a few different things.  

Ultimately we ended up removing the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, dismantled it and completely cleaned it (it was completely clogged with carbonisation), and then chucked it back in. The car is now running better than it ever has.

EGR valves clogging up seem to be a real issue with turbo diesel engines from the mid 2000's onwards  Might not be the solution you need but it's worth looking at, there's plenty of stuff on Youtube and Google on what causes it and how to remedy it.

9 minutes ago, jofis said:

I had a very similar issue with my 1.9cdti Vectra, last month; loss of power, plumes of shitey exhaust gas etc. I tried the Italian tune up to no avail. My old man is mechanic and we looked at a few different things.  

Ultimately we ended up removing the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, dismantled it and completely cleaned it (it was completely clogged with carbonisation), and then chucked it back in. The car is now running better than it ever has.

EGR valves clogging up seem to be a real issue with turbo diesel engines from the mid 2000's onwards  Might not be the solution you need but it's worth looking at, there's plenty of stuff on Youtube and Google on what causes it and how to remedy it.

I've nothing to add to this other than "italian tune up" is now my favourite motoring phrase.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Maybe a while back but the Ingenium engines are JLR built. It also has the 4x4 gubbins from the Evoque/Discovery Sport. 

Fair enough, didnt know Land Rover had started building their own. The Evoque 2.2 diesel engines are identical to Transit engines from 2010 aswell.

Did you get to the bottom of this?

We had similar a few weeks back and it was just the Fuel Filter beginning to choke, idled perfect, so obviously not completely choked, but as soon as you sank it and requested more fuel it couldn't cope, pressure in the rail didn't match what was requested, and it went into limp mode to protect itself.

In short, no I’ve not got to the bottom of it.

I’ve had two mechanic mates look at the car and run diagnostics, but the fault msgs in the photo I posted only came up on one of the three diagnostics instruments used.

However, both mates said the same thing and that’s that with diesels, you need to drive them quick so try that. Also despite being cheaper, I was advised that it’s best to avoid refuelling at supermarkets.

So, a couple of weeks ago I took it for a run around town for 15 minutes to let it warm up, then took it on the motorway, put the foot down and drove it at *some* miles per hour to try blast the crap out. It’s only flashed up malfunction warning/lost power once since then so think it might’ve worked to some extent. I plan to take it out again and boot the arse out it sometime soon, but just waiting until next time I need to fuel up and going to pour a bottle of Redex into the fuel tank as well.