Car advice

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Test driving a Volvo S90 later in the week.  Anyone with any experience of one?

Not an S90, but Volvo's in general are excellent. My dad took delivery of his new XC40 on Friday, really nice car.

Would have a Volvo myself, if I had the budget.

My old runaround 1.6 TDCI Focus keeps almost cutting out (stutters like it’s going to stall but doesn’t actually stall), an ‘Engine Malfunction’ warning light comes up on the dashboard and the car goes down to what feels like 25% of the usual power.
Had a mechanic mate run diagnostics on it which brought up nothing on the first gadget, but brought up the following on his other gadget:

IMG_7798.jpg

However, a different mechanic acquaintance had a look and got nothing coming up when he ran a diagnostic and suggested that before I fork out for what might not actually be the real problem in the pic above, to try give it a run and boot it to about 100mph incase it’s a build up of crap that needs blasted out that’s causing the issue. However, high revs seem to make it malfunction and I don’t want caught doing 100mph! I’ve had the ‘build up of crap’ issue before with a previous car, but I’m not convinced that’s what it is this time.

Anybody had a similar issue?

16 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

My old runaround 1.6 TDCI Focus keeps almost cutting out (stutters like it’s going to stall but doesn’t actually stall), an ‘Engine Malfunction’ warning light comes up on the dashboard and the car goes down to what feels like 25% of the usual power.
Had a mechanic mate run diagnostics on it which brought up nothing on the first gadget, but brought up the following on his other gadget:

IMG_7798.jpg

However, a different mechanic acquaintance had a look and got nothing coming up when he ran a diagnostic and suggested that before I fork out for what might not actually be the real problem in the pic above, to try give it a run and boot it to about 100mph incase it’s a build up of crap that needs blasted out that’s causing the issue. However, high revs seem to make it malfunction and I don’t want caught doing 100mph! I’ve had the ‘build up of crap’ issue before with a previous car, but I’m not convinced that’s what it is this time.

I had a similar problem with an old Daewoo Matiz, crappiest car I've ever had. 2 cylinders would cut out and it would struggle on with one, with no warning. Tried loads of things to sort it and ended up spending far too much on it, eventually sold it to a scrappy. 

3 hours ago, ah-dee said:

thanks. yeah my main concern was the engine struggling to manage a caravan.

I pulled my 22ft caravan for a few years with just a diesel 2.0 Mondeo 135bhp no problem, got a diesel 2.0 kuga with 163bhp now though, much better 

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

IMG_7798.jpg

Top line should give you a clue. Somebody’s pinched a couple of cylinders!

I pulled my 22ft caravan for a few years with just a diesel 2.0 Mondeo 135bhp no problem, got a diesel 2.0 kuga with 163bhp now though, much better 
weve looked at a couple of kugas as well. managed to give myself a migraine reading up on all these models so sacked it for now!

i appreciate the feedback though guys thanks

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

*Very moderate chuckle*

That’s not one of the issues!

You could always pour a bottle of Redex into the tank. Might clear the injectors a bit. Worth trying for a fiver before you go visit the guy that sucks through his teeth before telling you to go and get a second mortgage.

You could always pour a bottle of Redex into the tank. Might clear the injectors a bit. Worth trying for a fiver before you go visit the guy that sucks through his teeth before telling you to go and get a second mortgage.

I did wonder about buying a bottle of Redex and like you say, only a fiver. I did try to boot the arse out of it on the way back to Falkirk earlier tonight but with the engine malfunction warning and power drop having happened on the way back, I could only get it up to 85mph.

I did wonder about buying a bottle of Redex and like you say, only a fiver. I did try to boot the arse out of it on the way back to Falkirk earlier tonight but with the engine malfunction warning and power drop having happened on the way back, I could only get it up to 85mph.
Nee naw nee naw nee naw nee naw

21 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Missus had a Kuga for a while and I loved driving it. Kept getting warning lights though about DPF, injectors etc (it hardly ever got out of town) so she got shot of it. They've held their value well too. A good Mk1 seems to be almost the same price used 2nd or 3rd gen. 

1 hour ago, Deontay WildPar said:

Missus had a Kuga for a while and I loved driving it. Kept getting warning lights though about DPF, injectors etc (it hardly ever got out of town) so she got shot of it. They've held their value well too. A good Mk1 seems to be almost the same price used 2nd or 3rd gen. 

After this morning it’ll be away shortly!!!! She’s away to work in my van, I’ve got the kuga. Went into limp mode yet again  saying throttle sensor, some other sensor packed in 2 weeks ago to do with exhaust. Nice car but just getting the pure scunner with it now

It's the engine speed that's important if you're trying to clear out the engine, not the road speed.

[emoji600]

6 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

It's the engine speed that's important if you're trying to clear out the engine, not the road speed.

emoji600.png

One of the cars I had needed this done to it. I went to the garage rather than ask the p&b masses!

this is exactly what they did to it. And they didn’t charge which was nice!

• 3 weeks later...