Car advice

12 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

cheers. its a 14 plate we are hoping to test tomorrow so that was very helpful. we arent too strict on make or model at the moment but really set on a 4x4 so there is plenty of choice out there.

do you personally have a preference or suggestions that might fit?

I've had 4x4s for the last 10 years and have always preferred Japanese myself, Mitsubishi mainly, but there's so much choice these days from every manufacturer especially with the 'soft roader' SUV types like the Tiguan etc. I've thought about downsizing to a smaller 4x4 and actually really like the Jeep Renegade, although the styling isn't for everyone.

The Tiguan is great to drive (the 160PS version) and feels well put together in terms of quality. I don't like the electric handbrake though, which makes it almost impossible to do a hill start when towing any weight. My wife's brother also has a Tiguan and his handbrake failed overnight, rolling it into the car in front.

I've had 4x4s for the last 10 years and have always preferred Japanese myself, Mitsubishi mainly, but there's so much choice these days from every manufacturer especially with the 'soft roader' SUV types like the Tiguan etc. I've thought about downsizing to a smaller 4x4 and actually really like the Jeep Renegade, although the styling isn't for everyone.
The Tiguan is great to drive (the 160PS version) and feels well put together in terms of quality. I don't like the electric handbrake though, which makes it almost impossible to do a hill start when towing any weight. My wife's brother also has a Tiguan and his handbrake failed overnight, rolling it into the car in front.
again thanks for the feedback. not a fan of the jeep renegade myself but if it came up at a decent price it would certainly be considered.

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

My wife's brother also has a Tiguan and his handbrake failed overnight, rolling it into the car in front.

Which is why you should always leave a car parked in gear. First gear facing uphill. Reverse facing downhill. 

As for 4x4?? Skoda Yeti is a good shout. Car sized and capable. 

Edited by Trackdaybob
Fuckin autocorrect

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
13 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:
So my car, a 1.5 Nissan Pulsar, has decided it didn't want to start this evening....which has put a bit a dampner of things tbh.
Whenever I push the ignition button (I know, I know.....it's childish but I like it) the dashboard flashes a couple of times along with the lights but the engine doesn't turn over.  The electrics come on (Radio, interior and exterior lights etc) so despite the technical ineptitude of the driver, I want to say the battery is fine, but I have no clue what's going on. 
The cars 3 year manufacture warranty recently passed, but I do have an extended warranty from the dealership purchased the car from, Parks (used to be MacRae & Dick), any advise on what to do/say when I phone up on Monday?

Does it click when you turn over?

Yeah a couple of times.

Which is why you should always leave a car parked in gear. First gear facing uphill. Reverse facing downhill. 
As for 4x4?? Skoda Yeti is a good shout. Car sized and capable. 

^^^ is the correct answer. Just make sure you get the 2.0tdi if you plan on using it for towing.

Slightly wary however of using your own car for off road work stuff. That sort of shit has the potential to get kind of expensive kind of quick. I’d take the pain of transferring gear every time.

3 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Yeah a couple of times.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Deid battery. There's enough juice to run lights but not enough to start the car.

If you really want to be sure a £5 multimeter should show you voltage.

Reminds me of calling the AA out when I had Home Start, with a similar problem. He tested the battery, bit dubiously flashed a few buttons to show it was fucked, and sold me a new battery on the spot and installed it. Think I tried unsuccessfully tried to charge it beforehand. Cost a bit more than going to Halfords and carrying a battery home on the bus, but not much more. Sorted the car out.

Edited by welshbairn

me and the girlfriend are looking to upgrade our 14 plate fiesta for a similar age 4x4. VW Tiguan and a nissan juke have been spotted and just wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these motors? or possibly a car similar that is better performance/value? cheers
The Juke gets a reasonable write-up but only some models are actually 4x4 so you would need to check.

On 26/11/2018 at 08:40, throbber said:

Has anyone here ever got out of a PCP deal before? I have recently moved jobs and I’m going to get given a work car they can be used for personal use as well and no longer need the car. Will be a few months until I get it and I am still due to have car for another 2 years.

I assume you have discovered this by now, but the answer is that it's going to cost you.

That said, by the time you reach the end of the current PCP deal, you will be much better off.

Can you defer taking the car? Private cars, with no company car or cash allowance, can claim up to 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles - to cover any depreciation and business insurance. Depending on your expected mileage over the next 2 years it may be worth considering.

Reminds me of calling the AA out when I had Home Start, with a similar problem. He tested the battery, bit dubiously flashed a few buttons to show it was fucked, and sold me a new battery on the spot and installed it. Think I tried unsuccessfully tried to charge it beforehand. Cost a bit more than going to Halfords and carrying a battery home on the bus, but not much more. Sorted the car out.
Battery went on my car recently. Eurocarparts had a 'sale' on so got a new one from there for a fair bit less than any local garage. Watched a video on YouTube and fitted it myself.

YouTube is great.

The problem with a few cars now is that they have that stop-start system. A new battery for them is a good bit more expensive than normal. It may have been just salesman talk but when I asked if I could just turn the system off and fit a cheaper battery, I was told that the alternator would be too powerful for a normal battery and would just burn it out pretty quickly.

On 09/12/2018 at 14:59, MixuFixit said:

Deid battery. There's enough juice to run lights but not enough to start the car.

If you really want to be sure a £5 multimeter should show you voltage.

Yeah it was a completely dud battery, for some reason .

On 09/12/2018 at 18:34, welshbairn said:

I got the local garage out, unfortunately as my car has that stop/start technology there is a specific battery for that, which pushed the cost up a bit.

The problem with a few cars now is that they have that stop-start system. A new battery for them is a good bit more expensive than normal. It may have been just salesman talk but when I asked if I could just turn the system off and fit a cheaper battery, I was told that the alternator would be too powerful for a normal battery and would just burn it out pretty quickly.
Point 1 is true, they need to have a higher rating to cope with all the extra starting required. Tbh any time I am driving anything with stop-start fitted the first thing I do is find the switch to turn it off, especially in winter when you would be more likely to have lots of other electrics on. (Heated screen, heater, lights etc)

Point 2 is bullshit. The alternator will only put out as much energy as required.

Point 1 is true, they need to have a higher rating to cope with all the extra starting required. Tbh any time I am driving anything with stop-start fitted the first thing I do is find the switch to turn it off, especially in winter when you would be more likely to have lots of other electrics on. (Heated screen, heater, lights etc)

Point 2 is bullshit. The alternator will only put out as much energy as required.
It might play funny with your lin/can networks though

anyone able to give any feeback on the Hyundai ix35? seen one online and thinking about test driving it today. only issues i have on paper is its only a 1.6L, no tow bar with it and its fairly basic inside. shallow but i would like a decent touch screen system inside but thats purely for vanity! any feedback at all is appreciated

anyone able to give any feeback on the Hyundai ix35? seen one online and thinking about test driving it today. only issues i have on paper is its only a 1.6L, no tow bar with it and its fairly basic inside. shallow but i would like a decent touch screen system inside but thats purely for vanity! any feedback at all is appreciated
Had one for a couple of years 3 years back. Depends what you're looking for but I found it to be a fairly decent car, never had any issues with it other than replacing 2 front tyres. Loads of space I'm it. I was comparing it with a qashqai and yes it is pretty basic inside but I had the 1.7l diesel 2wd and it had plenty of grunt. Not too sure how it would be towing a caravan as I assume you will be looking at with mentioning a towbar but we were able to go away for the week with 2 young kids and have no bother with fitting all the luggage/shite that weans come with.

Had one for a couple of years 3 years back. Depends what you're looking for but I found it to be a fairly decent car, never had any issues with it other than replacing 2 front tyres. Loads of space I'm it. I was comparing it with a qashqai and yes it is pretty basic inside but I had the 1.7l diesel 2wd and it had plenty of grunt. Not too sure how it would be towing a caravan as I assume you will be looking at with mentioning a towbar but we were able to go away for the week with 2 young kids and have no bother with fitting all the luggage/shite that weans come with.
thanks. yeah my main concern was the engine struggling to manage a caravan. on the other hand a 1.6 would be more economical in the town which is where the majority of our driving would take place.

the interior/gadgets isnt really an issue. like i said thats more of a vanity thing on my part.

have also seen a Dacia Sandero stepway. i know nothing about dacia but this motor is a 66 plate and hasnt hit 11k miles yet.