Car advice

Obviously groupon do tyre deals from time to time and I have used them but the last 2 times that I have got new tyres Kwik Fit were cheapest by miles! Maybe they are catching on to the fact that they were being undercut left, right and centre by everybody.

9 hours ago, supermik said:

Obviously groupon do tyre deals from time to time and I have used them but the last 2 times that I have got new tyres Kwik Fit were cheapest by miles! Maybe they are catching on to the fact that they were being undercut left, right and centre by everybody.

How much do garages charge to fit tyres you've bought elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How much do garages charge to fit tyres you've bought elsewhere?

Depend on their mood. 

Know someone, who's a dickhead tbf, who went to a tyre place and got quoted £300 for four tyres and fitting.

Went away and bought four tyre from black circle for £200 and went back to the tyre garage, telling him he got it that cheap and asked him to fit it.

Garage charged him £50 a tyre to fit them/balance the wheels, new valves, and to dispose of the old tyre.

Edited by RandomGuy.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Depend on their mood. 

Know someone, who's a dickhead tbf, who went to a tyre place and got quoted £300 for four tyres and fitting.

Went away and bought four tyre from black circle for £200 and went back to the tyre garage, telling him he got it that cheap and asked him to fit it.

Garage charged him £50 a tyre to fit them/balance the wheels, new valves, and to dispose of the old tyre.

That's what I was thinking, you'd need a serious discount to make it worthwhile.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's what I was thinking, you'd need a serious discount to make it worthwhile.

Always be worth asking them a price for the full job, and a price just for fitting, as there's no doubt situations where you will be cheaper buying your own, just whether the difference in price is worth the hassle.

FWIW I wouldn't give Kwik Fit the time of day.  I appreciate the quality of service will vary (massively) from outlet to outlet though.  
Used to use them a lot in my younger days and didn't know any better but I find them to be quite unprofessional and chancing b*****ds tbqh ( this is based on 3 separate local branches). The work's pool cars get sent there for tyres too and is always an absolute pain in the arse dealing with them.

Word of advice for folk that I just found out today.

If you have a diesel VW that's been recalled for the emission issue, then for the next two years they'll replace any non-service engine part (injectors etc) that fail within two years, free of charge.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Word of advice for folk that I just found out today.

If you have a diesel VW that's been recalled for the emission issue, then for the next two years they'll replace any non-service engine part (injectors etc) that fail within two years, free of charge.

Belter.

Son in law has a Golf diesel that was recently in for the emissions work. His turbo packed in last week so hopefully that means that the old bank of mum and dad stays shut for a while.

55 minutes ago, supermik said:

Belter.

Son in law has a Golf diesel that was recently in for the emissions work. His turbo packed in last week so hopefully that means that the old bank of mum and dad stays shut for a while.

Be worth a phone call anyway, didn't get a list of parts that were covered so be braw to find out if a turbo was.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be worth a phone call anyway, didn't get a list of parts that were covered so be braw to find out if a turbo was.

Just found out that the turbo is not covered. The EGR is though and I have recently had to pay to replace that. Wonder if I could get a refund? :lol:

So my car, a 1.5 Nissan Pulsar, has decided it didn't want to start this evening....which has put a bit a dampner of things tbh.

Whenever I push the ignition button (I know, I know.....it's childish but I like it) the dashboard flashes a couple of times along with the lights but the engine doesn't turn over.  The electrics come on (Radio, interior and exterior lights etc) so despite the technical ineptitude of the driver, I want to say the battery is fine, but I have no clue what's going on. 

The cars 3 year manufacture warranty recently passed, but I do have an extended warranty from the dealership purchased the car from, Parks (used to be MacRae & Dick), any advise on what to do/say when I phone up on Monday?

me and the girlfriend are looking to upgrade our 14 plate fiesta for a similar age 4x4. VW Tiguan and a nissan juke have been spotted and just wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these motors? or possibly a car similar that is better performance/value? cheers

7 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

So my car, a 1.5 Nissan Pulsar, has decided it didn't want to start this evening....which has put a bit a dampner of things tbh.

Whenever I push the ignition button (I know, I know.....it's childish but I like it) the dashboard flashes a couple of times along with the lights but the engine doesn't turn over.  The electrics come on (Radio, interior and exterior lights etc) so despite the technical ineptitude of the driver, I want to say the battery is fine, but I have no clue what's going on. 

The cars 3 year manufacture warranty recently passed, but I do have an extended warranty from the dealership purchased the car from, Parks (used to be MacRae & Dick), any advise on what to do/say when I phone up on Monday?

Not a mechanic but sounds like a blown fuse or the starting motor. I've got extended warranty with Nissan and they fixed the air conditioning without a quibble when it went, would have cost about £400. Just tell them what you said above.

10 hours ago, ah-dee said:

me and the girlfriend are looking to upgrade our 14 plate fiesta for a similar age 4x4. VW Tiguan and a nissan juke have been spotted and just wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these motors? or possibly a car similar that is better performance/value? cheers

Just a heads up on the Tiguan. We have a 14 plate one at work which recently started producing a whirring noise from underneath. Needed a driveshaft assembly which was £1200 at VW. A local guy who owns a garage said he's seen a few around that age, so if you test drive one listen out for anything that doesn't sound right. 

Just a heads up on the Tiguan. We have a 14 plate one at work which recently started producing a whirring noise from underneath. Needed a driveshaft assembly which was £1200 at VW. A local guy who owns a garage said he's seen a few around that age, so if you test drive one listen out for anything that doesn't sound right. 
cheers. its a 14 plate we are hoping to test tomorrow so that was very helpful. we arent too strict on make or model at the moment but really set on a 4x4 so there is plenty of choice out there.

do you personally have a preference or suggestions that might fit?

4 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

cheers. its a 14 plate we are hoping to test tomorrow so that was very helpful. we arent too strict on make or model at the moment but really set on a 4x4 so there is plenty of choice out there.

do you personally have a preference or suggestions that might fit?

Why do you want a 4x4?

when im able i do some work on a few of the rural estates round here and our fiesta only allows me to get to the farm where it then becomes a pain in the arse with other vehicles, quads and trailers etc. i get a vehicle allowance added to my wage if i have my own so reckon its the better option.* plus we spend a lot of time in the summer camping and walking when i can. theres also the opportunity to use mg mates caravan, whoever unlikely, next year if we fancy a last minute easy holiday. although ive never had a caravan holiday so may not be easy!

*all has been legally declared to the tax man.

eta - also was surprised to see that my insurance premium on the juke we seen was basically the same as the fiesta.