Car advice

What a time to be alive.

It was only by chance I had noticed as well, we had stopped for a bite to eat at House of Bruar and I noticed the mileage as i was pulling out my parking space, I had to stop right away to take a picture just in case it changed to 25 k when we were still in car park.

@RandomGuy. You got any experience on astras? Got the fault code P0607 on my old one, the cheap OBD reader I've got says it's to do with the Power train, Control Module Performance. A Google says that on different vehicles changing the knock sensor gives some joy while others are pretty certain the ECU will need replaced. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

@RandomGuy. You got any experience on astras? Got the fault code P0607 on my old one, the cheap OBD reader I've got says it's to do with the Power train, Control Module Performance. A Google says that on different vehicles changing the knock sensor gives some joy while others are pretty certain the ECU will need replaced. 

Vauxhall fault codes can be vague, you'd need to put a computer on it and get real time data off it to get a clearer picture. Is it misfiring or just a code?

Could be anything from low oil to fucked piston rings. I've memories of changing crankshaft sensors on a lot of 1.6 petrols, and once had to change the ecu on a 2002 Astra. 

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Vauxhall fault codes can be vague, you'd need to put a computer on it and get real time data off it to get a clearer picture. Is it misfiring or just a code?

Could be anything from low oil to fucked piston rings. I've memories of changing crankshaft sensors on a lot of 1.6 petrols, and once had to change the ecu on a 2002 Astra. 

Sadly haven't got that sort of diagnostic equipment nearby, might need to throw it into a vauxhall garage, that or start firing the parts cannon at it. 

Oils good, and while I can't guarantee it's not the crankshaft sensor I tried running it with that disconnected and it immediately threw up a completely different fault code and put the car into a limp mode, whereas currently the fault only throws up when you go over 3500rpm for a couple of minutes, then it puts the vehicle into a limp mode where it can't go over 3500rpm again, if you turn the vehicle off the code will dissappear straightaway. 

Pretty frustrating fault all round really. It initially had an EGR fault that was masking this one, I was hoping that cleaning the throttle body would help but that's not done the trick, I very rarely have to go to garages but I'm going around in circles here tbh. 

14 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Anyone driven one of these? Also considering other similar cars

D95AD36A-1A2F-4899-926C-BF818903F9DD.jpeg

Gets amazing reviews anyway. I've had quite a few hot hatches (m135i, Leon Cupra, various RenaultSports and Cooper S's) but am a bit auld man-like for them now. The deals to be had on an M140i (if you were doing a PCP) are incredible and they feel (and sound) a bit more special that the front wheel drive hatches.  Depends what you're looking for. Something like the N, a Cupra or Megane will probably be better at the limit but the BMW is worth checking as it is that bit more exotic with the 3l engine.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Gets amazing reviews anyway. I've had quite a few hot hatches (m135i, Leon Cupra, various RenaultSports and Cooper S's) but am a bit auld man-like for them now. The deals to be had on an M140i (if you were doing a PCP) are incredible and they feel (and sound) a bit more special that the front wheel drive hatches.  Depends what you're looking for. Something like the N, a Cupra or Megane will probably be better at the limit but the BMW is worth checking as it is that bit more exotic with the 3l engine.

Cheers I shall check that out. Is your 500 the Abarth? Any good?

ETA just remebred that it was written off - what cars next?

Edited by Adam101

26 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Cheers I shall check that out. Is your 500 the Abarth? Any good?

ETA just remebred that it was written off - what cars next?

The wee Abarths are great fun. The noise is incredible - very lairy exhausts. Set up really well for our roads too in terms of suspension. Feel like proper wee Italian sports cars. The image isn’t for everyone but you’ll think “f**k that” when you actually get to drive one. 

59 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The wee Abarths are great fun. The noise is incredible - very lairy exhausts. Set up really well for our roads too in terms of suspension. Feel like proper wee Italian sports cars. The image isn’t for everyone but you’ll think “f**k that” when you actually get to drive one. 

He means it's a wee lassies car.