Car advice

My recently passed away dad's car, I discovered a few days ago,is 2 years into a 5 year finance deal.

I've literally no Idea how this will play out. I've no need of it, hoped to get a few grand and seems now they might simply repossess?
Phone up the finance company. Tell then what's happened and where they can come and pick their car up. Simple.

1 minute ago, JamesP_81 said:
4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
My recently passed away dad's car, I discovered a few days ago,is 2 years into a 5 year finance deal.

I've literally no Idea how this will play out. I've no need of it, hoped to get a few grand and seems now they might simply repossess?

Phone up the finance company. Tell then what's happened and where they can come and pick their car up. Simple.

Presumably he owns 2/5s of it?

15 hours ago, pub car king said:

Anyone had any experience of a dacia? Looking for a cheap run around second hand. Are they good for what they are or just cheap shite.

Before  I buy any car  I always refer to this site. Check these out   https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/sandero-2013/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/duster-2012/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/logan-mcv-2013/

He doesn't own any of the car untill the finance has been settled in full.
I'd assume as its 2 years into a 5 year finance deal then there will be a fair bit of negative equity in it so would have to decide whether u want to bother getting it transferred into your name if you're then gonna be stuck with either a payment u don't want every month or an outstanding debt after selling it on.

No experience, but they're cheap Renaults, and I've had experience with Renaults. Wouldn't be me.
If all you care about is having a set of wheel and don't expect much Dacias are fine as new cars. Wouldn't touch a used one with a barge pole as they are 10 year old Renaults underneath.

Plenty of cheap finance deals about the now as the car industry is in decline. Also beware Arnold Clark and their ex Hire drives. The price is that low for a reason.

Bought an Ex Hire drive Mini Clubman off them. So far it has had an entirely new drivetrain, new head unit for in car entertainment and I'm replacing a ball joint next weekend after 19k miles (I've done 7k of them.) Was meant to be a nice motor for the wife to run about in and is rapidly turning into a disaster and severe ear ache.

18 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
40 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
T Cut it out or will it need the windows down and heating up full?

7D6AE623-4085-433A-8E5E-F29168D09789.thumb.jpeg.c79a4c0184011fb7571921cc674a4fbf.jpeg

Looks like my Mrs has tried to park next to you in a car park.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How the f**k did you manage to do all that?

Was just static in traffic when the guy in the car behind had a sneezing attack, floored it into the back of me and punted me into the car in front. Impressive amount of steam from the front and smoke from the rear of the wee Abarth.

4986448_ori.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a write-off as it's proper fucked. Exhaust, rear suspension, most of the body panels, radiator/engine bay all caved in... 

58 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Was just static in traffic when the guy in the car behind had a sneezing attack, floored it into the back of me and punted me into the car in front. Impressive amount of steam from the front and smoke from the rear of the wee Abarth.

4986448_ori.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a write-off as it's proper fucked. Exhaust, rear suspension, most of the body panels, radiator/engine bay all caved in... 

Gonnae take a bit more than fuggin T cut then isn't it.

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

You'd be surprised at how much you need to do to write off a car. They are designed to crumple as it takes the energy out of the crash.

Not really. My previous VW Gowf had similar looking damage but because the 2 airbags had gone off, they wrote the c**t off.

Its more of a cost thing than how much structural damage is done.

4 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

You'd be surprised at how much you need to do to write off a car. They are designed to crumple as it takes the energy out of the crash.

Surprising.  Two sentences that sort-of make sense independently but together are utter dross.  The truth?

Modern cars are designed to crumple so are surprisingly easy to write off. Trying to uncrumple them is a near-impossibility.

Surprising.  Two sentences that sort-of make sense independently but together are utter dross.  The truth?
Modern cars are designed to crumple so are surprisingly easy to write off. Trying to uncrumple them is a near-impossibility.
Not really dross when you can replace the panels relatively easily. It's not all steel these days. I.e. Plastic bumpers on most cars others have plastic wings as well etc.