19 year old woman from Lenzie held in Peru over drugs

When I used to work in engineering/sales in Scotland it was pre GPS, in fact pre Mapquest! I used to use a lot of road maps plus a generally good sense of direction. Usually once I’d been somewhere I could find it and my way back without assistance.

Found the same here, I know my way about the locality here and definitely the city of Chicago than any of my family who have lived here all their lives!

I'm afraid to suggest that this isn't universally driven by gender.

It was for a summer placement that I interviewed students for an Inverness based job.

One candidate took the train from Glasgow and given he was showing some brightness, I was interested in how he would manage both living expenses and required job related travel within the highlands.

I asked where he would stay and I heard that he would lodge with his auntie in Kingussie. It was with concern that I pressed him as that commute in and of itself would be onerous.

It became apparent that auntie lived in Kinglassie, Kinglassie in Fife.

Despite this I gave* him the job, he started on the Monday and I set him to work with a task in Kinlochewe..... and never seen him again.

*of course I didn't, as highlanders and used to dealing with both distance and direction, we were stunned.

Women in general have a more difficult time “visualising” distance and space because their brains aren’t wired for it, for whatever reason. It’s why men in general have a hard time detecting emotions in other peoples faces. Just not built that way.

I've read that it's because for most of our existence women stayed within a few metres of the home they looked after, whereas the menfolk roamed around hunting and gathering. Pretty important to be able to find your way back home after a 10k wander for a bloke, not really a necessary skill for the women.

I find if I drive to or get myself somewhere then I can go back no problem.
If, on the other hand, I've been a passenger I don't really pay attention to how I got there so its more of a challenge.

I've also given up on getting directions from my wife, even though she's normally pretty good at getting somewhere.
Conversation usually goes along the lines on me saying "So if I go south at X then up the road towards y"
OH: "NO! It's blah blah blah"
Me: "yeah so go (same way I said before) towards wherever"
OH: "NO YOU NEVER LISTEN... Repeats my directions back in a far more convoluted and impossible to understand way"
Me: "Ok, what's the postcode, I'll use sat nav on my phone".
May also include my showing said map and repeating my (correct) understanding to be told I'm wrong.

I too love to wonder a new city, having studied a decent map, don't do it with my wife as she can never accept anyone else might know where to go....

Comedian Sara Pascoe revealed on the TV panel show ‘Would I lie to You’, that she once booked a holiday yoga retreat in Costa Rica, believing she was heading for sunny Spain.[emoji295]️[emoji633][emoji15]
Sara is an alumni of The University of Sussex.

Started watching this. I'm not going to make it past the first episode. Partly because I don't know how they stretched this out over nearly three hours television, partly because I don't like the way it's shot and partly because this woman is loathsome. The Peruvians should still have her in a cell somewhere.

Started watching this. I'm not going to make it past the first episode. Partly because I don't know how they stretched this out over nearly three hours television, partly because I don't like the way it's shot and partly because this woman is loathsome. The Peruvians should still have her in a cell somewhere.
They really do pad it out, but the lassie redeems herself in quite a big way. It was a turn I wasn't expecting.

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Kinda agree, the money spent at UK taxpayers expense to move the lassie from Lenzie etc was a disgrace. Not an advocate of inhumane prison conditions, but you travel to Peru to break their laws then you live by the consequence of your action. 

I'm watching this now. 3 episodes in. 

Mildly interesting, it's all so predictable and dragged out. There's only so much naivety you could get away with, the whole thing as someone mentioned previously looks like prepping her for other work, wiping her slate clean. 

Mildly interesting, it's all so predictable and dragged out. There's only so much naivety you could get away with, the whole thing as someone mentioned previously looks like prepping her for other work, wiping her slate clean. 
Stick with it, as there is an interesting story there.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
4 hours ago, SANTAN said:

Stick with it, as there is an interesting story there.

You owe me over an hour of my life back. 

I was waiting for a twist or a turn or something mad but no basically she felt remorse in prison and kept her head down and got out, I'd like to see a full redemption arc where she hunts down the Ibiza folk that put her up to it and gets them sent to Peruvian jails. 

5 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

I was waiting for a twist or a turn or something mad but no basically she felt remorse in prison and kept her head down and got out, I'd like to see a full redemption arc where she hunts down the Ibiza folk that put her up to it and gets them sent to Peruvian jails. 

f**k that, she owes them 11 kgs of coke. 

It was interesting enough, but the narration of it was irritating.

I take it the Irish girl has a badly ghost written book out about it all? That's certainly where the wee sections that punctuated the programme, sounded like they came from.

Some thread this for the old misogyny by the way.  I'm not even referring to the map reading stuff here.  The posts about the Scottish girl are pretty brutal.

She became a completely different person in prison. Rock bottom, and she found a level of determination and grit to actually come out in pretty strong fashion. That certainly wasn't the type of daft wee lassie that was whoring herself around ibiza.

55 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
3 hours ago, SANTAN said:

She became a completely different person in prison. Rock bottom, and she found a level of determination and grit to actually come out in pretty strong fashion. That certainly wasn't the type of daft wee lassie that was whoring herself around ibiza.

I think if you're a self indulgent drug addicted moronic westerner that ends up in a Peruvian hell hole of a jail and you don't change as a person then you'd be an absolute freak of nature. Sure she learned some Spanish but it's not like she chibbed anyone or chucked the chicken foot at anyone or did anything cool. 

I think if you're a self indulgent drug addicted moronic westerner that ends up in a Peruvian hell hole of a jail and you don't change as a person then you'd be an absolute freak of nature. Sure she learned some Spanish but it's not like she chibbed anyone or chucked the chicken foot at anyone or did anything cool. 
I think what you're looking for was never going to be in this documentary.

17 hours ago, SANTAN said:

Liam Neeson to star.

On 13/08/2013 at 08:56, The Woolshed said:

I would love to here their story explaining what they were doing then. From working and living in Ibiza, travelling briefly to Lima, then onto Palma. That's going to be a tough one to get out of. On an aside, her accent annoys the f**k out of me.

One happy punter at least.

First few pages of this thread are an interesting read. Now I know how much cocaine I cain insert up my bum in condoms.