19 year old woman from Lenzie held in Peru over drugs

When this topic got bumped I thought it was either 

A) she's dead 

B) she's a drug mule again 

C) she's got a scuddy video kicking about 

I'll let you guess which I was hoping for. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Just now, Fuctifano said:

When this topic got bumped I thought it was either 

A) she's dead 

B) she's a drug mule again 

C) she's got a scuddy video kicking about 

I'll let you guess which I was hoping for. 

D) The Mexican cartel version with all 3 at the same time?

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Hard to believe - didn't she think it strange how long the flight was? 

I wouldn't surprise me at all if she thought Lima was in Spain and simultaneously half way round the world. I've met loads of people with no concept of basic geography in their heads.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I wouldn't surprise me at all if she thought Lima was in Spain and simultaneously half way round the world. I've met loads of people with no concept of basic geography in their heads.

Aye, see the intelligent poster thread. I doubt she knows where it is yet.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This.

I’m generalizing here and possibly being sexist but in my experience women seem to have the biggest challenge with this type of thing. Although that is possibly because you spend more time with your partner than you do your friends and as such you get to hear more of their thoughts.

My other half lives in Renfrew and booked an appointment for me which turned out to be in Airdrie. After going to the appointment I was saying to her later on how it would’ve been better to book somewhere closer to me as it was 27 miles door to door.

She then asked if Airdrie is only 3 miles away from her in Renfrew because she knows it’s about 24 miles from hers to mine following her satnav along the M8 and back down the 77.

When I answered no and explained why she was nodding but I could tell she wasn’t taking it in.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

This.

I’m generalizing here and possibly being sexist but in my experience women seem to have the biggest challenge with this type of thing. Although that is possibly because you spend more time with your partner than you do your friends and as such you get to hear more of their thoughts.

My other half lives in Renfrew and booked an appointment for me which turned out to be in Airdrie. After going to the appointment I was saying to her later on how it would’ve been better to book somewhere closer to me as it was 27 miles door to door.

She then asked if Airdrie is only 3 miles away from her in Renfrew because she knows it’s about 24 miles from hers to mine following her satnav along the M8 and back down the 77.

When I answered no and explained why she was nodding but I could tell she wasn’t taking it in.

I can understand her a bit after spending time meandering along canals on the Welsh/English borders. You ask how far somewhere is and it's always a guess in time, not miles. And you lose all sense of direction because they wriggle about all over the place. My basic sense of geography came from looking at a blow up globe and maps when I was a kid, looking for exotic place names I could head for after escaping from Grangemouth..

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

My basic sense of geography came from looking at a blow up globe and maps when I was a kid, 

I got hooked after cutting out a dodecahedron shaped globe from the back of a Frosties packet. I made it a challenge in life to visit as many of the twenty corners of the world as possible. 

Oh btw High is an excellent piece of telly.

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

This.

I can understand her reaction

10 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

This.

My (male) flat mate literally doesn't know where anything is. He thought Ayr was near Dundee. I'm not sure it's a gender thing. 

10 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

This.

There was a paper on this sort of thing (bit of the abstract at bottom).  My sense of direction is entirely map based, whilst my other half deals with left/right hand turns.  The issue with the latter is that they're f***ed as soon as there's any sort of  diversion.

After studying routes on a map, females tend to give directions that feature landmarks and left/right turns, whereas males include more cardinal and distance information. It is plausible this difference results from disparate attention to these features during exploration of a map. In the present study, 22 males and 22 females learned routes on a map while their eye movements were monitored, and then gave written directions between different locations. Consistent with earlier research, males made more references to NSEW when giving directions, whereas females referred mainly to left/right turns and landmarks along each route.

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I got hooked after cutting out a dodecahedron shaped globe from the back of a Frosties packet. I made it a challenge in life to visit as many of the twenty corners of the world as possible. 

On the basis of that reminder, I've just decided that tonight I will describe dualities within the Platonic solids and see what sort of reaction I get. I'm feeling quite optimistic.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

There was a paper on this sort of thing (bit of the abstract at bottom).  My sense of direction is entirely map based, whilst my other half deals with left/right hand turns.  The issue with the latter is that they're f***ed as soon as there's any sort of  diversion.

If she's anything like mine, when she's driving she lifts her hands up and gestures in the direction and depending on who's sitting in the passangers seat will say it's in their direction or not!

I'm thinking about getting her a pair of wellies to see if helps her tell her left from her right.

Spoiler

logo-jimmy-cricket.png.0d274446e318a547e21d37045682bcc8.png

In my experience map reading is a declining skill. I used to do a bit of team orienteering and was outvoted 3-1 on the correct way to the next peak during a pea souper at the top of a small mountain and watched my team mates confidently stride off towards a sheer drop. All male. If the fog had been just a bit thicker evolution would have happened. 

20 hours ago, The Moonster said:

My (male) flat mate literally doesn't know where anything is. He thought Ayr was near Dundee. I'm not sure it's a gender thing. 

A significant amount of my geographical knowledge is linked to going to the football. If someone doesn’t really travel that much, beyond a work commute or to and from one place for a night out, it’s easy to understand why they don’t really know where anywhere is.

On 13/07/2021 at 20:13, Flybhoy said:

That Parry lassie reminds me of that Lyndsey Dawn McKenzie who was all over the likes of the Sunday Sport back in the day for having enormous chebs, despite having a fucking face like a joiners knee.

I never noticed her face.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

A significant amount of my geographical knowledge is linked to going to the football. If someone doesn’t really travel that much, beyond a work commute or to and from one place for a night out, it’s easy to understand why they don’t really know where anywhere is.

He's a 33 year old man who's lived here his whole life. He's been to Ayr many times and still has no idea.

My other half's geography and general sense of direction has always been dreadful. A few years back I was away hillwalking near Crianlarich, so as usual I phoned her to let her know I was heading back down and would be home at whatever time I'd guesstimated at. She says yeah that's fine, I'm going to head to Loch Clunie (near Dunkeld) to take some photos (she was a photographer in those days). 

I descended Stob Binnein, drove back to Forfar, got showered, ordered and ate a kebab and she still wasn't home. It wasn't' until around 11pm I got a panicked phone call from her asking me to look up the nearest petrol station to Dunkeld which would still be open. The following day all became clear. When she'd finished taking photos at Loch Clunie and got back to the junction she'd earlier turned left down, instead of going back to it and simply turning right back to Forfar, she blindly followed Sat nav after pressing the wrong button. She managed to drive through Dunkeld, cross the A9 and didn't realise something was amiss until she got to Griffin Forest just outside Aberfeldy.

She got home at 12:30am, having almost run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere, having driven something like a completely unnecessary additional 107 miles. What's worse is we've travelled those roads frequently in previous trips. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

In my experience map reading is a declining skill. I used to do a bit of team orienteering and was outvoted 3-1 on the correct way to the next peak during a pea souper at the top of a small mountain and watched my team mates confidently stride off towards a sheer drop. All male. If the fog had been just a bit thicker evolution would have happened. 

When I'm helping out with scouts, every new batch will predictably ask something along the lines of "why do we need them anymore?" when dealing with maps, as if the GPS is a direct replacement.

Taking the 'maps don't have a battery to die on you at the worst moment' aside, I'd argue the #1 benefit is that maps make you far more aware of what's around you.  Sat Nav (notorious for leading folk down unsuitable routes, as Shandon or whatever he's called today highlighted another example of just the other day) just homes in on where you are and misses the bigger picture.  If you drive down the M74 for example, you might only see Lockerbie, Douglas etc on the screen, whilst a road atlas will let you see all the other stuff like Hamilton, Motherwell, Strathaven, Lanark, Wishaw, Annan, Dumfries etc etc and let you get a grasp of where they are relative to each other as well as letting you know that Tinto exists.

Similar when referring to an OS map whilst hillwalking (which I'd imagine most male Scots will end up trying at some point), you can see features further afield which lets you think "if the hill with the transmitter isn't to the left of us then something's up", plus it gives you a far better sense of scale and lets you know in advance about the existence of big f*** off cliffs, and where they are relative to your intended route.

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's a 33 year old man who's lived here his whole life. He's been to Ayr many times and still has no idea.

He’s a fud then. I won’t try making excuses for him again.