19 year old woman from Lenzie held in Peru over drugs

never 'done time' but frequently visit prisons for work, very cushy especially the newer ones, 3g football pitches etc, its a joke.

So creating an environment where violent offenders are less likely to offend is a bad thing, in your eyes?

Creating an atmosphere where rehabilitation is encouraged through positive activities, giving people the chance who perhaps never had the chance, to better themselves, is a bad thing, in your eyes?

What about the Norwegian model? That's much more "cushy" than the prisons in this country. In case you were unaware, Norway has one of the lowest re-offending rates for released prisoners anywhere in the world.

I hope all coppers don't have the same mindset as you.

of course they are cushy, if prison really was rehabilitative then we wouldnt have the reoffending rates we have in Scotland. im all for rehabilitation, give them a trade or qualifications to get a job away from crime

You're polis are you not?

If you are - that's fucking mental.

If you're not - you're fucking mental.

You think we have reoffending figures that we do because prisons are 'cushy' - that's what's fucking mental.

You think numbers in prison would drop by giving folk a trade - what's to say the thousands out of work won't just go commit crime to then go and get a trade whilst in jail?

Again, mental.

Are you polis?

i have personally met and spoken with a number of people who have offended to get into prison yes.

what i want to see is less people going to prison, more community payback orders where they are made to do meaningful work in the community they have harmed. whats the point in sending a serial shoplifter to prison to mix with people there for violent offences etc? do i think if employment and educational attainment rates were higher we'd see less offending? i think one of the biggest causes of criminality is poverty, thats what should be tackled instead of pouring millions into bottomless pits through prisons. what does my job matter? what do you do?

I think he's a serial shoplifter, tbqh.

i have personally met and spoken with a number of people who have offended to get into prison yes.

what i want to see is less people going to prison, more community payback orders where they are made to do meaningful work in the community they have harmed. whats the point in sending a serial shoplifter to prison to mix with people there for violent offences etc? do i think if employment and educational attainment rates were higher we'd see less offending? i think one of the biggest causes of criminality is poverty, thats what should be tackled instead of pouring millions into bottomless pits through prisons. what does my job matter? what do you do?

So, because you've spoken to a handful of people who offend to get into prison, you're writing the whole system off? I walk past at least a dozen homeless people every day on the way to and from work, why are they not battering down the Bar-L's door for a bed and a meal?

You speak to many people who have been to prison and the one thing they all will agree on is that you can give them all the televisions, computers etc... but in the grand scheme, these things do not matter when you're deprived of your liberty.

You've not addressed my point on Norway either. A very lax system, even by our standards, yet they have a significantly lower reoffending rate than we do. Why is that?

So, because you've spoken to a handful of people who offend to get into prison, you're writing the whole system off? I walk past at least a dozen homeless people every day on the way to and from work, why are they not battering down the Bar-L's door for a bed and a meal?

You speak to many people who have been to prison and the one thing they all will agree on is that you can give them all the televisions, computers etc... but in the grand scheme, these things do not matter when you're deprived of your liberty.

You've not addressed my point on Norway either. A very lax system, even by our standards, yet they have a significantly lower reoffending rate than we do. Why is that?

You have to kill 77 people before they send you to jail?

Edited by Jacksgranda

Norway has low unemployment and a better quality of life. This country is going the way of the states we are creating ghettos where people truly have f**k all. A million people in Britain survive on food banks that's a fucking disgrace. No wonder people turn to crime some are doing it just to survive.

The prison system is in a piss poor state it just does not work to rehabilitate offenders.

That said it's not the driving force behind crime and reoffending rates. The fact is some people lead a shite existence and are stuck in the loop of crime and drugs.

The police and probation service is bately treading water let alone making any in roads.

• 1 month later...