Under the Dome

DomDom

Looks like this show will be continuing as the ratings have been pretty good so far. I'm enjoying it. Seen a few complaints on here, but if I was expecting a faithful adaptation, the last thing I'd do is watch a US TV show which wants more than one season.

They've done a not bad job with a lot of the characters, and I think they nailed a couple big time as well.

Watched the first three.

Would probably like it if I hadn't read the book.

Dean Norris and the the guy who plays his son are good but the rest of the cast are horrible. Especially the woman cop.

Also why does a lesbian couple just passing thru have to be parents to Norrie? I assume there has to be diversity for a mainstream TV show to be successful in the states.

Also, how are they gonna explain the meth when the radio guy is a clean cut black man. While in the book he is a toothless, psychotic white guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read the book (which is one of King's better efforts), and decided after ten minutes to avoid this adaptation, as a couple of things happen which can't help but massively alter the storyline. A mate has watched half-a-dozen episodes, mind (not having read the book), and reckons it's great. One man's meat, another man's poisson, I suppose...

The book is actually King's best if you ask me. But I went into this KNOWING that things had to be changed, and basically just wanted a fun TV show, which is what you get.

Take it as being based on the book rather than being an adaptation and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Never really understood people's need for these things to be so faithful to a book.

Don't go in with your hopes too high folks, it's very average

Yup. I decided to bail on it this week. I'll maybe swing back and find out what caused it all, but if the thing were to come crashing down on these mundane characters (except Barbie) then I wouldn't really care for it.

The book is actually King's best if you ask me. But I went into this KNOWING that things had to be changed, and basically just wanted a fun TV show, which is what you get.

Take it as being based on the book rather than being an adaptation and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Never really understood people's need for these things to be so faithful to a book.

First off, the book is a fair distance short of King's best work. Even recently, 11/22/63 is a more complex and interesting story - Under The Dome is good, but not, for me, as mature as the Kennedy time-travel tale. That it is a "re-visit" of an earlier attempt (from the '70s) is painfully obvious at times. I can only assume you haven't read a lot of King's work - The Green mile, Black House, It, The Body, even The Stand are, IMHO far superior to Under The Dome. Not that it's a bad book - I loved it - but it doesn't contain the emotional maturity of The Green Mile, the authentic voice of childhood evident in The Body or It, or the combination of all his strengths in It.

Which leads me to the issue I have with many films and TV shows based on King's work. As with all great writers, he invites you to inhabit a world of his creation, and to suspend disbelief. His work invokes horror by describing outlandish, sometimes revolting, scenarios in a mater-of-fact way. Some of his work can be translated well, but this applies mainly to those works which are easy on the supernatural, or dispense with it altogether. Of the highest-regarded adaptations of his work for screen, only The Shining is an outright ghost/horror tale. Anyhoo - my point.( :rolleyes:). One of the most powerful sequences in a King book is the Losers' initial confrontation with the evil presence under Derry. I would think that everyone who has read that has their own vision of what went on, but, and here is my point (yeah, I know, eventually) - in the book, the Losers pool their resources/powers/strength by sexual congress with the only female member of the group. Bear in mind, they are aged around 12-13 at the time. Taht ain't gonna happen in the TV Film, so they share a puff each at Eddie's inhaler. Kinda diminishes the impact, wouldn't you say?

Back to Under The Dome, the reasons i gave it a body swerve are several-fold:

The "adapted" Dome apparently doesn't allow the passage of sound. Throws the whole thing out of whack from the start. At least i thought that was the first thing, until I discovered that, apparently, Barbara had a body to dispose of before he left The Mill. f**k knows who cast the Chef. And what in the name of all that's holy is with the state-of-the-art hospital?

Seriously, this may be a decent series, but to claim that it's taken anything other than the title from Stephen King is absolutely ridiculous. The book could have made a pretty good mini-series - it's too long and involved for a on-off movie to do it justice - but this far from the best way to showcase King's story. In fact, it isn't the same story, is it?

Did the writers have to find some way of getting extra air in there when the second series was green-lighted? FFS!

I'm thinking i'm gonna do the same.tbh :(

Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, it's not worth my time when I've got a lot of other stuff that needs my devoted attention.

Besides, I hate when shows do the same introduction for each episode. We get it already, it split a cow in half FFS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As much as I'm enjoying it, the acting of the lass that plays Norrie is fucking embarrassing. Outside of her, I don't mind the acting for the most part.

I find her massive forehead very disconcerting. Like a transvestite Herman Munster.

Archived