Post drinking doom/fear

ka202

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucozade sport is an excellent hangover cure. Preferably consumed before sleep along with paracetamol.

Regular lucozade is my go to when I wake up. Normally followed by a bottle of powerade mid afternoon

• 1 month later...

Is there a scientific explanation for the fear...?

During REM sleep an extraordinary thing happens. One of the stress-related chemicals in the brain, noradrenalin, is switched off. It's the only time, day or night, this happens. It allows us to remain calm while our brains reprocess all the experiences of the day, helping us come to terms with particularly emotional events.

We get more REM sleep in the last half of the night. Which means that if you are woken unexpectedly, your brain may not have dealt with all your emotions - which could leave you stressed and anxious. Drinking alcohol late at night is not a good idea as it reduces your REM sleep while it's being processed in your body.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24444634

I was out drinking last night and currently have the fear that I'll be late for a wedding......I don't understand this "fear" as I know I will very definitely be late for said wedding......no point in fcuking worrying about it!

I don't understand this "fear"

Lucky you, absolutely horrendous feeling.

Problem I have is that if I don't remember large chunks of the night, I usually ask myself "what's the worst thing I could have done?" Then I usually start thinking I've done that very thing and can almost sort of remember it. 99% of the time the fear is completely irrational.

Bizarre complex but you can't help it.

My worst fear always involves phones. First thing I do is check the texts and call logs. Phone ran out of battery whilst a 2 hour train ride away from my house after my last night out. Felt physically sick waiting to turn it on. Few weeks ago I had a call log at 3am to a bird I know. Again, sheer and utter panic. Remembered eventually that we one dialled to swap new numbers outside a club.

I've never drunk dialled on my life either :lol: It's an illness.

Drunken phone calls are horrible, horrible events. Consisting of far too much emotion and far too little variety of words. Most just end with both people crying saying the same thing to each other, in my experience anyway. I encourage my overly drunk friends to do it though, as I'm a p***k

There is nothing worse than going out for so long that your phone runs out of battery and when you eventually stick it on charge you have new voicemail. The fear + voicemail = existential torture.

My worst episode ever was over hearing two dodgy looking guys in a shop talking about chains in their van and becoming convinced that they were planning to kidnapp me.

I think the worst one I have woken up to after a night out was the works Christmas night out.

Woke the next day not remembering much from the night before but think I've remembered the main things, checked my phone, Facebook notification has tagged you in a photo. I think I actually perspired from every pore in about 1 second

On the above, I've recently joined the 2010s and bought my first smart-phone. While I'm still getting used to the appalling battery life, my phone tends to die on nights out.

There's nothing better than looking into my pocket, while only mildly drunk at about half ten to find the phone has died. It's like the rest of the night is mine, with no chance of reprisal whatsoever :D

I think the worst one I have woken up to after a night out was the works Christmas night out.

Woke the next day not remembering much from the night before but think I've remembered the main things, checked my phone, Facebook notification has tagged you in a photo. I think I actually perspired from every pore in about 1 second

Nothing worse than going out without your girlfriend and then being tagged in a photo, the sheer suspense knowing that an argument loometh if theres an unknown female in the picture is deadly

i hate when you've over done it at the weekend then waiting on waking up on a monday morning with cold sweats and the ultimate fear of the alarm going off - some of the worst experiences of my life!

Once went out with my mate on St Patricks day and went to see Stiff Little Fingers at The Barras. Long story short we got full of pills and I sent a txt to a girl I'd been going out with for two days telling her how much I loved her. The next day she told me I was too full on despite how many times I told her I wasn't in love with her at all.

So really booze + drugs = The Fear ×100.

Once went out with my mate on St Patricks day and went to see Stiff Little Fingers at The Barras. Long story short we got full of pills and I sent a txt to a girl I'd been going out with for two days telling her how much I loved her. The next day she told me I was too full on despite how many times I told her I wasn't in love with her at all.

That's not the fear. That's the shame.

Closely related, but not quite the same. Waking up in the morning with an unshakable feeling that you've done something totally cringeworthy but you can't quite remember what until you look at last night's phone calls / texts / facebook activity / receipts in your wallet / Pie and Bovril posts.

Comedowns are far worse because you've usually made about 8-10 new friends on Facebook and you've repeatedly had in-depth life-affirming conversations with people you've barely spoken to before and the new friends you've got are bound to be wiped out of your inbox through sheer shame of how you think you came across.

As mentioned before, I've been in tears on a Sunday afternoon through fear. It's a fear of the unknown gaps from your night before. You actually start to make things up in your head.

Oh and don't get me started on the height of fear when you hear a text arriving in your phone! Delete before reading!

Has anyone woke up with the fear having actually done something really bad? I've done loads of daft shit, but thankfully it was all years ago. Don't think I could handle a proper fear session anymore.

Archived