Ray Donovan

YER SISTERS YER MAW

Just finished the series. Excellent stuff. Not anywhere near as good as Breaking Bad but I far preferred it to the first season of The Walking Dead.

I didn't enjoy the first two or three episodes as much as later ones, as I feel they were trying to fit in too many pointless sub-plots simply as a device to give us more of an insight into Ray's job as a 'fixer'. It felt like far too complicated a way to start things off. Things started to get very good for me from 'The Golem' episode onwards.

I have to say that I usually like Elliott Gould as an actor, but he has failed to impress me so far in this. It's a strange performance. Maybe it's the way that Ezra should be portrayed, but the character has certainly left me feeling absolutely nothing.

There is a significant number of characters who have been underused - I would hope to see more from Lena, Avi and Darryl in Season 2. Bunchy as well.. I haven't seen much depth in his character apart from generally being an alcoholic mess. The finale suggests that he may begin to pull himself together now, so I look forward to seeing a bit more of that.

Stand-out performances are from Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight and Eddie Marsan. I'm sure there's still a lot more to come from Ray as we're only just beginning to find out who he really is. Very intriguing guy. And Mickey Donovan is the man. The problem is that he has been portrayed as some sort of antagonist, but you kind of know that they couldn't ever kill him off. The show is nothing without that character. So I wonder who the 'bad guy' will be in the next series.

The only real lowlight for me is Abby. One of the most irritating characters ever portrayed on screen. The way she looks... her accent.. her general personality and demeanour.. ARGHHHH. She makes Skyler White seem like an Athenian goddess.

And, apart from a bit of poor scriptwriting and cliched dialogue, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. If they had ended it right there, as a sort of mini-series, it would have been a perfectly satisfying conclusion.

Edited by The Real Saints

• 8 months later...

I'll end up waiting until the second season runs it's course before I decide whether I give it a go. I'm not doubting the pedigree behind the cast or Ann Bidermann and could tell that the show is trying to be something transcendent, but there is something missing in it for me that I cannot put my finger on.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...