Stranraer V Sons

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were playing with only 10 men tho as Nicky Phinn would have been as well staying in the dressing room.

Bit odd to pick on one particular player after that performance. Other than Ewings and Fleming no-one deserved pass marks.

Bit odd to pick on one particular player after that performance. Other than Ewings and Fleming no-one deserved pass marks.

I feel it's justified. On a number of occasions when I would have expected him to challenge/close down an opposition player he was ball watching.

Awful performance! Thought Gilhaney played quite well but we are in desperate need of a centre back with some pace at least! Also Not sure why we are continuing to lump forward despite us having no height up top.

We performed alright in the first half, Gilhaney always looked threatening and we could have been a couple goals up had we taken our chances. We missed Turner so much in midfield as Stranraer players would just charge through unchallenged.

Second half was atrocious. We seemed to result to hoofing the ball up the park like Jimmy Lister would be there. There was relatively little play down the wings and that was where we looked most threatening in the first half.

Stranraer fully deserved the win and despite it being the first competitive game of the season, I am slightly worried that we have no one to bring on when things are going pear shaped.

We performed alright in the first half, Gilhaney always looked threatening and we could have been a couple goals up had we taken our chances. We missed Turner so much in midfield as Stranraer players would just charge through unchallenged.

Second half was atrocious. We seemed to result to hoofing the ball up the park like Jimmy Lister would be there. There was relatively little play down the wings and that was where we looked most threatening in the first half.

Stranraer fully deserved the win and despite it being the first competitive game of the season, I am slightly worried that we have no one to bring on when things are going pear shaped.

I don't go along with this 'diddy cup', 'we're traditional bad starters', etc., stuff - this was a cack start to the season, especially as Stranraer seem to have finished the fitter team. Ian Murray has to give serious consideration to finding a centre-back pronto and also playing either Gilhaney or McDougall, but not both - two wide, attack-minded wing men are a luxury which places a great strain on Turner and Agnew inside them and allows our midfield to be too often over-run.

We were playing with only 10 men tho as Nicky Phinn would have been as well staying in the dressing room.

That sums up Nicky Phinn's "contributions" for us in a nutshell.

What side does Winter play?

Right. Although he has played down the left on a handful of occasions.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*Changes opening post*

So we meet again...

SO how many players from each side are still there

DFC lined up:

Ewings

McGinn

Linton

Graham

S.Smith

Phinn

Gils

Aggy

Fleming

K.Smith

McDougall

Subs:

Prunty

Megginson

McKerracher

And

Stranraer: Mitchell, MacGregor, Docherty, Robertson, McKeown, Aitken, Winter, Gallagher, Grehan, Longworth, Borris. Subs: Corcoran, McKenna, Kinnaird, Forde, Fahey (gk)

Nicky Phinn and the two Smiths in the one team, no wonder we lost :lol:

*Changes opening post*

So we meet again...

SO how many players from each side are still there

DFC lined up:

Ewings

McGinn

Linton

Graham

S.Smith

Phinn

Gils

Aggy

Fleming

K.Smith

McDougall

Subs:

Prunty

Megginson

McKerracher

And

Stranraer: Mitchell, MacGregor, Docherty, Robertson, McKeown, Aitken, Winter, Gallagher, Grehan, Longworth, Borris. Subs: Corcoran, McKenna, Kinnaird, Forde, Fahey (gk)

Nicky Phinn and the two Smiths in the one team, no wonder we lost :lol:

From that starting line-up we still have Mitchell, Robertson, McKeown, Winter, Gallagher and Longworth. We also still have Forde and Fahey from the bench, and whilst Aitken hasn't been signed yet (due to injury - thanks Brechin) he has featured in pre-season and I'd expect him to be back for this season.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully the weathers good and we get off to a better start than last season. For once I'd actually like to give this cup a go, if Raith can win it, why can't we.

It'll be interesting to see if any of our recent trialists are added before the weekend but on our current squad I reckon we'll line up:

Ewings

Van Zanten ---- Graham ---- Mair ---- Linton

Turner

Gilhaney ---- Kirkpatrick ---- Megginson

Nish ---- Fleming

Could possibly see big Ching playing instead of Mair and possibly Prunty ahead of Fleming but I'd say the above is our strongest team.

Archived