Our 2x best supported clubs and why they irritate us?

The title of the 'Which of the ugly sisters...' thread, doesn't properly reflect the reason for making it.

I was going to change title but decided that that would put the posts of the posters who have already replied, out of context and so have decided to lock it and create this one.

The 2x best supported clubs in the Scottish game, irritate - to varying degrees at different times - probably every fan of every other club in the country.

I thought we could use this thread, to discuss our reasoning - especially when there's not much footie on - . :(

Some might take the view that this thread, is only going to confirm the view of their fans, that the game in this country, revolves around them. Maybe a fair point. However, IMO the fact that their support (and it is nationwide) is disproportionately huge in comparison to the rest, makes it only natural that they are discussed so often. They are - currently to varying degrees - featured often on the front pages of newspapers as well as dominating the sport's pages. We can't and shouldn't even try to ignore them. We should always remind them that we are here and they need us more than we need them.

For what it's worth, I would prefer neither existed but it appears, we are stuck with them. Seams they can't even die properly. :lol:

Let them see/hear our thoughts. :o

ETA: Hey maybe they'll learn something.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I can't stand about them is the "whataboutery" and complete inability to admit they each have problems within their own support. McCoist yesterday was a prime example - happy enough to present the bus-fire as an attack on the Rangers coach and play the victim while completely ignoring the hundreds of people in Rangers strips throwing petrol bombs at the police in Belfast last week.

I appreciate that newspapers need to sell and OF fans are the greatest audience, but the coverage given to the never ending Glasgow pantomime is obscene.

The thing I can't stand about them is the "whataboutery" and complete inability to admit they each have problems within their own support. McCoist yesterday was a prime example - happy enough to present the bus-fire as an attack on the Rangers coach and play the victim while completely ignoring the hundreds of people in Rangers strips throwing petrol bombs at the police in Belfast last week.

I appreciate that newspapers need to sell and OF fans are the greatest audience, but the coverage given to the never ending Glasgow pantomime is obscene.

Good start there. The 'whataboutery' is so frustrating. They seam incapable of answering any 'charge' against themselves, without citing negative stuff about the other. Where else in the world....? :rolleyes:

Whataboutery is by no means exclusive to the OF; you'll find football fans everywhere using it in their eternal game of getting one over their rivals, as well as trying to deflect from their own team being criticised. A lot of football fans do get very precious about their team, after all. It is however very annoying and predictable.

What's more annoying is the failure to let go of things that happened hundreds of years ago. Well, that and the utter scumbag element that clings on to them (not always exclusive to the sectarian nonsense, either).

Whataboutery is by no means exclusive to the OF; you'll find football fans everywhere using it in their eternal game of getting one over their rivals, as well as trying to deflect from their own team being criticised. A lot of football fans do get very precious about their team, after all. It is however very annoying and predictable.

What's more annoying is the failure to let go of things that happened hundreds of years ago. Well, that and the utter scumbag element that clings on to them (not always exclusive to the sectarian nonsense, either).

I actually get fed up saying, that the authorities had a great chance of helping eradicate some of that pish, by handling The Rangers melt-down a bit better. If they'd clearly said 'Liquidation = new club, no history', we'd be half-way there. There would still have been a new rangers but they'd be starting clean and most of 'The Traditionalists' would be gone IMO. Opportunity wasted. :(

Ah, the fascination continues. You love us really. :D

I don't think you'll find much support for that view. Personally, I wish The EPL would suddenly discover a love for both of you.

ETA:- Btw I'm loving the new name. Rangers Inter. Classy. I mean honestly, I'd give up our history to be Aberdeen Inter. :rolleyes::lol:

It's jealousy really! ALL that shiny silverware they have!!!.

Well that's The Blackthorn Cup in the Ibrox trophy room already. First team to win it. Another world record maybe? Certainly wasn't won lightly as we took on the the best team in the largest city in the South West of England.

I can understand your envy, Mags. Still, confession is cathartic I believe so your honesty is its own reward.

The title of the 'Which of the ugly sisters...' thread, doesn't properly reflect the reason for making it.

I was going to change title but decided that that would put the posts of the posters who have already replied, out of context and so have decided to lock it and create this one.

The 2x biggest clubs in the Scottish game, irritate - to varying degrees at different times - probably every fan of every other club in the country.

I thought we could use this thread, to discuss our reasoning - especially when there's not much footie on - . :(

Some might take the view that this thread, is only going to confirm the view of their fans, that the game in this country, revolves around them. Maybe a fair point. However, IMO the fact that their support (and it is nationwide) is disproportionately huge in comparison to the rest, makes it only natural that they are discussed so often. They are - currently to varying degrees - featured often on the front pages of newspapers as well as dominating the sport's pages. We can't and shouldn't even try to ignore them. We should always remind them that we are here and they need us more than we need them.

For what it's worth, I would prefer neither existed but it appears, we are stuck with them. Seams they can't even die properly. :lol:

Let them see/hear our thoughts. :o

ETA: Hey maybe they'll learn something.

Celtic is purely for their everyone's against us club agenda and their fans disgusting vocals

Hearts don't really irritate me though

Celtic is purely for their everyone's against us club agenda and their fans disgusting vocals

Hearts don't really irritate me though

:lol: . I actually saw that coming and was going to put 'Biggest supported clubs'.

Well that's The Blackthorn Cup in the Ibrox trophy room already. First team to win it. Another world record maybe? Certainly wasn't won lightly as we took on the the best team in the largest city in the South West of England.

I can understand your envy, Mags. Still, confession is cathartic I believe so your honesty is its own reward.

Maybe so TK, but we are the sole owners of the Glasgow Dental Cup, of which we vanquished Rangers by 2 gaols and 3 corners to nil.You will NEVER get your hands on that trophy!!

Probably the breath taking arrogance and victim mentality they seem to exhibit. They act is if everyone is against them. Despite the fact the media and football authorities give them highly favourable treatment. For example why was Neil Lennon's outbursts about not having a one of his players being nominated for POTY given more column inches than the actual players who were nominated? Likewise, why was a rather trivial story about The Rangers team bus been torched spread across the front page, with McCoist given a platform to play to the lowest common denominator. When it could have been buried somewhere on page 18? Same in relation to both managers getting favourable and convenient punishments when it comes to touch line bans.

Probably the breath taking arrogance and victim mentality they seem to exhibit. They act is if everyone is against them. Despite the fact the media and football authorities give them highly favourable treatment. For example why was Neil Lennon's outbursts about not having a one of his players being nominated for POTY given more column inches than the actual players who were nominated? Likewise, why was a rather trivial story about The Rangers team bus been torched spread across the front page, with McCoist given a platform to play to the lowest common denominator. When it could have been buried somewhere on page 18? Same in relation to both managers getting favourable and convenient punishments when it comes to touch line bans.

To be able to exude, arrogance and superiority, whilst simultaneously claiming victimisation, is a remarkable talent.

The likes of The Daily Record/Sunday Mail & The Scottish Sun, couldn't exist without them. We must be talking about 80% of their readership.

the OF fans arent daft, well a good portion arent, we know we arent liked, and thats even the ones with balanced views and the ability to have a decent footballing debate

what i dont understand, is why do fans continually bring the OF and the fans to the spotlight when they hate them so much, and even then why do the thicko OF fans start threads constantly about the other side when they claim to hate them

for being country wide hated, people dont stop talking about rangers or celtic and thats the strange thing, and i say that about the fuds in the OF camp that continually bring attention to themselves then wonder why they are hated

the OF fans arent daft, well a good portion arent, we know we arent liked, and thats even the ones with balanced views and the ability to have a decent footballing debate

what i dont understand, is why do fans continually bring the OF and the fans to the spotlight when they hate them so much, and even then why do the thicko OF fans start threads constantly about the other side when they claim to hate them

for being country wide hated, people dont stop talking about rangers or celtic and thats the strange thing, and i say that about the fuds in the OF camp that continually bring attention to themselves then wonder why they are hated

They create intimidating atmospheres at every ground they play at in the country. It is not us who put them on the front pages of the newspapers and on TV news. They bring their own spotlight, of course we can't stop talking about them, they're in our fkg faces every day.

To be able to exude, arrogance and superiority, whilst simultaneously claiming victimisation, is a remarkable talent.

Exactly! Both of them are the oppressed minority.

Archived