The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

I can't help wondering if Columbia or Universal had bought LucasFilms if it would have generated half the press coverage. I think it just demonstrates how powerful the Disney brand actually is (and how people project onto it their own concepts of it) when it is effectively just a holding company for some brands

I would love to see them covering the Yuzhaan Vong invasion. Someone mentioned it and said they didn't like it, but I really enjoyed the books. Just think of all the characters and planets that would be involved. It would be ace.

However

I'd be holding back tears when Serpindal smashes Chewie! I won't be all that bothered about Anakin getting his totties though

I thought TPM was dire the first time I watched it, but a bit better the second time around. Obviously there's a lot of shtie bits in it, liek Jar Jar and that. The main problem for me really was that you've been waiting for years on a new star wars film, it finally arrives, you get the big music, you're like 'oooh whats goin on in the galaxy' and up comes the text......The galactic federation has put a trade embargo on the plane zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Hardly the big exciting backdrop for an sci-fi adventure film. Anyway, when I watched it again after all the hype had died down, it wasn't terrible, wasn't very good, but was ok

Attack of the clones was a set piece fest and a love story involving the least amount of chemistry I've ever seen between 2 people. Amazed that the pod race wasn't in this one. The scene in the droid factory conveyor belt was a case of, is this a cartoon? For me there was very little going on here and I thought Luke was bad for being a whingy hero, Anakin is such a wet blanket there's just no connection or empathy possible with him.

Revenge of the Sith I cant remember very well, I'd need to watch it again to sum it up, but I enjyed it a bit more than the other two as expectations had been suitably lowered by that point.

Nah, Menace gets bottom spot because of the whole podracing shit.

The pod-race (ignoring the shite build-up) was one highlight of the film.

Revenge Of The Sith could have been good but just misses the mark completely. General Grievous was cool and the end lightsaber fight was one of the best from all six films. Absolutely woeful acting though and the CGI was poor, however there was still some connection between audience (ie - me) and what was going on on-screen.

I do cringe so much it actually hurts when Anakin whips out the following lines though:

'LIAR. YOU'RE WITH HIM. YOU BROUGHT HIM HERE TO KILL ME" (unneccessary use of Caps Lock to emphasise how bad he is)

"YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWAH"

the worst part about watching revenge of the sith is that you knew how it fucking ended dry.gif

I had a Star Wars annual in the 1990s (post-Special Edition release) and it actually gave an account of how Darth Vader ended up as Darth Vader, giving the exact ending from Revenge Of The Sith.

I had a Star Wars annual in the 1990s (post-Special Edition release) and it actually gave an account of how Darth Vader ended up as Darth Vader, giving the exact ending from Revenge Of The Sith.

I have a suspicion that may have been around in the comics or books in the 80s\90s.

Curiously, I was thinking of starting a thread solely about George Lucas when this came up.

I've read a wealth of stuff about the man, why the prequels were considered so terrible, alternative scripts for the prequels that contained some really interesting ideas (and, to be fair, a few that I'm glad they steered well clear of) and figured it would make a good thread.

Favourite theory is that he surrounded himself with "yes-men" that agreed with all his ideas, however terrible. Some of the stuff in the prequels is cringeworthy; "NOW THIS IS PODRACING!", the Gungans (who were a lot more interesting in the alternatives mentioned above; more zen, meditating race that were actually competent, less "MEESA SHINE YA SHOES MASSA ANAKIN?!?!?!", the love story with no, er, love discernible on screen etc. etc.

Not to say the originals weren't guilty of similar cheese, its just that with proper checks and balances to Lucas' more batshit insane ideas it worked a lot better on screen.

The prequels are worse (note, not terrible) because George Lucas wrote them all and wouldn't have been as constricted as he was with A New Hope (he wrote that but with it being the first, the studio were likely heavily scrutinizing him). Empire, the best IMO, only has him as "story" so he didn't write the actual script. He had help with Jedi so that probably took care of the shitty dialogue.

Lucas is a fantastic ideas man and his work with the models and whatnot is fantastic. But he is not a good film writer.