The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

33 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

When they played the trailer in the States, the cast (who had been on stage) all left and then in wandered...

After initial excitement of recognising the voice, I'm slightly uncomfortable on the prospect of Palpatine returning. Kylo Ren was set up nicely to serve as this trilogy's ultimate villain by the end of The Last Jedi. Palpatine's presence, even as a force ghost, might disrupt that. 

[Edit: Even if that's the case, more of Ian McDiarmid lapping up being the evilest sod in the galaxy will always be appreciated.]

If Palpatine's just going to make a brief cameo, like Yoda in VIII, it would make more sense to keep it under wraps as long as possible. Ian McDiarmid's appearance there, and the prominence of the laugh as the trailer's final note suggests the Emperor's going to play a significant part in episode IX.

Edited by captainkev

1 minute ago, captainkev said:

After initial excitement of recognising the voice, I'm slightly uncomfortable on the prospect of Palpatine returning. Kylo Ren was set up nicely to serve as this trilogy's ultimate villain by the end of The Last Jedi. Palpatine's presence, even as a force ghost, might disrupt that. 

If Palpatine's just going to make a brief cameo, like Yoda in VIII, it would make more sense to keep it under wraps as long as possible. Ian McDiarmid's appearance there, and the prominence of the laugh as the trailer's final note suggests the Emperor's going to play a significant part in episode IX. 

Yeah not sure where they're going with this. I suspect it will not be very straightforward though! The whole cheating death spiel from ROTS... the Death Star II wreckage... and was it not Palpatine's laugh from that Death Star, when he was goading Luke? Could be JJ having a wee laugh at everyone.

Cool trailer but I'm worried it might end up being pure fan service with the Skywalker title and possible return of Palpatine. I was a fan of how much Rian Johnson subverted virtually every Star Wars nerd's theories on where the trilogy was going.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Yeah not sure where they're going with this. I suspect it will not be very straightforward though! The whole cheating death spiel from ROTS... the Death Star II wreckage... and was it not Palpatine's laugh from that Death Star, when he was goading Luke? Could be JJ having a wee laugh at everyone.

Yeah it does sound like Palpatine's laugh from R.o.t.J. 

Is that Death Star 2 wreckage? I've only watched the trailer on my phone so far, but to me it looks bit too cylindrical for it to be the remains of the Death Star. 

I hope they don't use the Plageus scene from III to justify whatever way he does come back. I much prefer to read that scene as Palpatine lying to/tricking Anakin into thinking those abilities are possible.

15 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Yeah it does sound like Palpatine's laugh from R.o.t.J. 

Is that Death Star 2 wreckage? I've only watched the trailer on my phone so far, but to me it looks bit too cylindrical for it to be the remains of the Death Star. 

I hope they don't use the Plageus scene from III to justify whatever way he does come back. I much prefer to read that scene as Palpatine lying to/tricking Anakin into thinking those abilities are possible.

It didnt look like endor they were on for it to be death star 2 wreckage, but given we didnt see much of the planet in rotj f**k knows, 

In the first The Force Awakens teaser, they did use some edited dialogue from one of the original films to bluff Luke having some actual dialogue. But I don't think they'll do it in this one.

I'm also not convinced that was the Death Star wreckage. Mind you, if it is, we only ever saw the Endor moon rather than the actual planet which it orbits.

Just as long as Luke remains both dead and any "Force ghost" cameo is limited to as little time as necessary, I'll be content. I suspect Abrams will walkback slightly on Rey's parentage (Booo!) by having Kylo Ren's "you're a nobody" spiel be a lie to try and coerce Rey into siding with him. Which I can kind of get behind but I'd also be annoyed at.

The supposed idea of this occurring some time after The Last Jedi is quite good. Whilst I loved that TLJ jumped straight into the aftermath of TFA, a little narrative break works for me. There wasn't really anywhere for the story to go immediately after the ending of TLJ.

We only ever saw the forest moon Endor, not the planet itself of the same name, so it could easily be the planet.

Interested to see where a Sith would fit in given that Kylo isn't Sith.

Could be the wreckage of the first Death Star, so they could be on Yavin IX.

Giving strength to that is that Poe's parents planted a force sensitive tree (that was once in the Jedi temple on Coruscant), given to them by Luke, in the temple on Yavin XI (and that's canon).

50 minutes ago, yoda said:

Just as long as Luke remains both dead and any "Force ghost" cameo is limited to as little time as necessary, I'll be content. I suspect Abrams will walkback slightly on Rey's parentage (Booo!) by having Kylo Ren's "you're a nobody" spiel be a lie to try and coerce Rey into siding with him. Which I can kind of get behind but I'd also be annoyed at.

I suspect Luke will remain dead, but will be a far more persistent presence as a force ghost than any other seen across the series. I'm thinking that whatever plan or role they intended for Leia before Carrie Fisher died will be altered and Luke will fill in here instead.

I'm curious about the title though. Unless, as you suspect, Abrams is about to "fix" what Johnson established last time out and tie Rey to the Skywalker family, there's not a lot obvious choices left to be the titular "Skywalker".

It's unlikely to be Leia for an obvious reason. Plus she's always been identified as Leia Organa, even after she's revealed to be Luke's sister. Kylo Ren is technically a Skywalker, but he was Ben Solo before he adopted his new identity, so it doesn't fit nicely for it to be him either. Realistically it's not going to refer to Luke either after his death last film.

Edit: Of course, that's assuming the title is referring to a specific character. It seems odd to me that it is "The Rise of Skywalker" rather than "The Rise of the Skywalker".

Edited by captainkev

Hope it's just a reference to the new Jedi Order that's forged or something. Will be some laugh if JJ just retcons the main character to be a Skywalker although I suppose it would fit with America's weird obsession with political dynasties.

6 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I suspect Luke will remain dead, but will be a far more persistent presence as a force ghost than any other seen across the series. I'm thinking that whatever plan or role they intended for Leia before Carrie Fisher died will be altered and Luke will fill in here instead.

I'm curious about the title though. Unless, as you suspect, Abrams is about to "fix" what Johnson established last time out and tie Rey to the Skywalker family, there's not a lot obvious choices left to be the titular "Skywalker".

It's unlikely to be Leia for an obvious reason. Plus she's always been identified as Leia Organa, even after she's revealed to be Luke's sister. Kylo Ren is technically a Skywalker, but he was Ben Solo before he adopted his new identity, so it doesn't fit nicely for it to be him either. Realistically it's not going to refer to Luke either after his death last film.

Doesn't have to be a relative. It could just be a term. Rey could be seen as 'The Skywalker', not 'a' Skywalker. 

In TFA it's established that most folk think Luke and the Jedi were just legend, a myth (when Finn and Rey meet Han on the Falcon). So perhaps folk thought Luke was 'The Skywalker' and now Rey has taken over that title.

Edited by DA Baracus

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Doesn't have to be a relative. It could just be a term. Rey could be seen as 'The Skywalker', not 'a' Skywalker. 

In TFA it's established that most folk think Luke and the Jedi were just legend, a myth (when Finn and Rey meet Han on the Falcon). So perhaps folk thought Luke was 'The Skywalker' and now Rey has taken over that title.

I do like that idea, the name Skywalker being passed onto, or adopted by Rey as a title.

It could also further position Rey as Kylo's double and/or opposite. She takes the Skywalker name and forms a new identity/persona around it, as he did by becoming Kylo Ren.

6 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I do like that idea, the name Skywalker being passed onto, or adopted by Rey as a title.

It could also further position Rey as Kylo's double and/or opposite. She takes the Skywalker name and forms a new identity/persona around it, as he did by becoming Kylo Ren.

Going a bit further, perhaps Rey could found a group like the Knights of Ren, but using the light side of the force obviously. The Knights of Skywalker in effect, but with a better name. It could tie in with the stuff from the end of TLJ, with the lad who was adept in the force and the suggestion being there are loads of them out there. Perhaps Rey gathered a load of them, or they gathered to her.

Or maybe the 'rebels' just call themselves 'Skywalker'.

Will they go down the route of Palpatine cloning himself i wonder? Id rather, if he is alive, its along the lines of him using others as hosts for him to survive. But i love the idea of him being back and its been him puppeting Snoke all along.

Maybe not even getting a clear reason, just the Emperor strolling in and Force Lightening everyone in the face while laughing like the mad b*****d that he is and giving some patronising speech about surviving in a way they couldnt begin to understand! :)

Could Kylo have gone to the Death Star wreckage to find some relic etc of Vader and stumble on some of the Emperors gear or some Holocron etc? Maybe even his Force Ghost, if hes not alive?

Feck knows.

Trailer looks very good, still not a huge fan of the new characters, but the last film, for me anyway, was fucking dreadful so they get the benefit of the doubt for this one. Although i do like Driver as Kylo and that scene where he wipes that guy out with the cross guard part of the Lightsaber is ace. 

I predict Lando and Chewie sacrifice themselves and the Falcon to destroy whatever Super Weapon or big bad thing that the B plot centres around.

Overall, im excited about Star Wars again but hope its not another Member Berries effort.