The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

The prequels are worse (note, not terrible) because George Lucas wrote them all and wouldn't have been as constricted as he was with A New Hope (he wrote that but with it being the first, the studio were likely heavily scrutinizing him). Empire, the best IMO, only has him as "story" so he didn't write the actual script. He had help with Jedi so that probably took care of the shitty dialogue.

Lucas is a fantastic ideas man and his work with the models and whatnot is fantastic. But he is not a good film writer.

Didnt he do the script for Temple of Doom as well?Or do i imagine that?

Edit to add Dan Aykroyd, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg all played parts in that movie. God bless IMDB :lol:

Edited by P.C

I quite like Sith. It's easily the best of the prequels, but I can also see why people wouldn't like it. None of them compare to the original trilogy though. Empire is my favourite movie of all time. Fucking love it!

Some clips have already been shown in this thread, but for those who haven't seen them, I strongly recommend the three Robot Chicken Star Wars specials. Brilliant stuff.

I think people are far too harsh on the prequels. Overall they're obviously not as good as the originals and suffer from pretty obvious flaws (as the originals do tbf) but I love Star Wars and I really enjoyed the prequels and I'm looking forward to the sequals.

Clearly Disney and Lucusfilms have a big responsibility to kind of 'redeem' the series in the eyes of most people. Soem people will never be happy with them and will already have decided they're shite.

I'd love to see them take a bit of a different direction but still keep the Star Wars 'magic'. Someone like Christopher Nolan would be fantastic. Clearly people are worried that because it's Disney, they'll be too childish but they don't have to be. Really keeping my fingers crossed.

Yup. I'd rather keep the actors as relatively unknown gems as it worked extremely well the first time around.

Didn't work out too well with his lead in the prequels though.

You need to see and hear the ideas Lucas was coming up with for Indiana Jones 4. The fact Spielberg settled on Crystal Skulls from Outer Space is testament to wave after wave of shite he was subjected to.

Didn't work out too well with his lead in the prequels though.

You need to see and hear the ideas Lucas was coming up with for Indiana Jones 4. The fact Spielberg settled on Crystal Skulls from Outer Space is testament to wave after wave of shite he was subjected to.

Indeed. Neeson and Jackson were probably the only good well known actors out of that film IMO.

Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing Nathan Fillion has Han. He'd be the right age for the role in the Thrawn saga, and anyone who has seen him in Firefly/Serenity would probably say he's had got the presence and experience to pull off such a role.

Indeed. Neeson and Jackson were probably the only good well known actors out of that film IMO.

Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing Nathan Fillion has Han. He'd be the right age for the role in the Thrawn saga, and anyone who has seen him in Firefly/Serenity would probably say he's had got the presence and experience to pull off such a role.

What about Ewan McGregor, Terrence Stamp, Ian McDiamid or Natalie Portman?

edit: f**k off with Nathan Fillion, he's an overrated Han Solo wannabee. I will absolutely boycott these films if they cast him as Han Solo.

Edited by forehead7

edit: f**k off with Nathan Fillion, he's an overrated Han Solo wannabee. I will absolutely boycott these films if they cast him as Han Solo.

Was Natalie Portman a household name before The Phantom Menace?

The reason the prequels failed while the original Starwars trilogy excelled, was mainly due to technology or lack of it. George Lucas' ideas were extremely wacky (Han Solo was going to be a green lizard) however the technology wasn't there so he had to rely on the human touch. Plus in the original films you weren't presented with clutter in every scene. By that I mean extra digital effects solely there because Lucas could do them.

It was his ball and he was going to play with the ball the way he wanted. The stories in all films are weak (apart from Empire) but it is the actors abilities to perform that allows you to disregard the dialogue. In the newer films there was very little acting performed by any of the actual actors. They were continually working with green screens and things getting added at a later date.

For the first time in my life I will agree with Forehead. Natalie Portman was well known before the Phantom Menace (Keira Knightly was he double in the film) and her role as Matilda in Leon won her numerous awards and plaudits. Ewan McGregor was also known. Hayden Christensen was quite an awful pick, I always thought that Jaoquin Pheonix would have been perfect for the role.

Lastly people are talking about the Thrawn saga by Timothy Zahn as being the basis for the next films. George Lucas has always said that the books, comics and extra Starwars Universe have no bearing on the films. He has always had the storyline for three more films, and has always said that it was a nine film saga. Future films will come from that rather than books published. Lucas okayed the first ten to fifteen books himself, then didn't take much to do with the rest. Although the three books by Zahn (and the two follow up) were fantatsic and would make a good basis for new films. I think the three stories Lucas had will be the basis of the films.

Coruscant is the only thing from the follow up books to have featured at all in any of the prequels.

I said the well knowns that were good, GOOD. I thought the rest of the cast added f**k all, including McGregor.

Is that so bad? I don't know about you but any Star Wars fan I know that doesn't first and foremost doesn't want to be like Han. I'll not hear a bad word said of him however :angry:

I said the well knowns that were good, GOOD. I thought the rest of the cast added f**k all, including McGregor.

Is that so bad? I don't know about you but any Star Wars fan I know that doesn't first and foremost doesn't want to be like Han. I'll not hear a bad word said of him however :angry:

Neeson added less than McGregor. McDiarmid was fantastic in those prequels and the transformation from Chancellor to Emperor was great (even if the effects on his face were awful). Portman was great too.

Yes. He's pish.

Also, not really picking obscure actors if you cast Nathan Fillion wink.gif He may not be a big time movie star but he's been the lead actor in quite a few movies and a multiple season tv show.

Wouldn't mind if they worked on a trilogy set during the Knights of the old Republic. I'd love to see the Darth Revan story being told and expanded on.

The sale to Disney is a good thing in my opinion. Lucas had damaged the franchise with the prequel trilogy and I don't think he could do anything to improve it.

• 2 months later...