The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

The expanded universe is basically just fan fiction is it not. The films are what matters and geeking out over how something that happened in the third chapter of some book about Luke's third cousin twice removed isn't mentioned in the new film is just that - geeking out. The wider movie audience has no interest in it and they need to be included as well - a new film needs to be familiar and maybe a little bit nostalgic for the original trilogy. John Williams is a good start. Missed him in the Man of Steel film.

As for Carrie Fisher, I see sexism is alive and well. Woman in not looking like she did 30 years ago shocker. Carrie Fisher is awesome and I am delighted if she has a role to play in the new Star Wars film.

As for Carrie Fisher, I see sexism is alive and well. Woman in not looking like she did 30 years ago shocker. Carrie Fisher is awesome and I am delighted if she has a role to play in the new Star Wars film.

Yeah I absolutely agree. She wore that Slave Girl bikini 30 years ago, she doesn't look that bad for a woman of 56. They all look old, surprising since they are all old.

Yeah I absolutely agree. She wore that Slave Girl bikini 30 years ago, she doesn't look that bad for a woman of 56. They all look old, surprising since they are all old.

post-42805-13750972284582_thumb.jpg

:wub:

Luke only burned his armour.

True, but it was symbolic in that it really was the end of Darth Vader. The armour was a massive part of him. Burning it showed that Darth Vader was dead but that Anakin Skywalker lives on through the force.

On the topic of 'force ghosts';

Yoda states that Qui Gonn perfected such a method, yet we never see a Qui Gonn force ghost.

The expanded universe is basically just fan fiction is it not. The films are what matters and geeking out over how something that happened in the third chapter of some book about Luke's third cousin twice removed isn't mentioned in the new film is just that - geeking out. The wider movie audience has no interest in it and they need to be included as well - a new film needs to be familiar and maybe a little bit nostalgic for the original trilogy. John Williams is a good start. Missed him in the Man of Steel film.

I don't think anyone on here is too bothered if the films ignore the expanded universe. I'm a really big fan of the books, but it won't bother me if the films ignore them. I'm really interested to see what the story will be and what has happened to the characters since the end of ROTJ. There will be fans that will be outraged, but these are the types who cry because certain things didn't happen in the LOTR films are moan about how different Game Of Thrones is to the books.

Is Chewie going to be in the new films? What about C3PO and R2-D2? I hope they are.

The point I was making is that Hamill and Ford look older (obviously) but not haggered as f**k due to years of drug and alcohol abuse like Carrie Fisher does. Then again, there are plenty of things they could do about it. They could use make up, they could think she looks fine, they could claim a Sith force lightning-ed her to f**k, they could claim Chewie has secretly been fucking her ragged (oof; Chewie must have a smashing furry boab), they could say putting up with Han being a sarcastic f**k not to mention putting up with C3P0 being an anal retentive wee hoor has exhausted her.

Edited by DA Baracus

True, but it was symbolic in that it really was the end of Darth Vader. The armour was a massive part of him. Burning it showed that Darth Vader was dead but that Anakin Skywalker lives on through the force.

On the topic of 'force ghosts';

Yoda states that Qui Gonn perfected such a method, yet we never see a Qui Gonn force ghost.

The point I was making is that Hamill and Ford look older (obviously) but not haggered as f**k due to years of drug and alcohol abuse like Carrie Fisher does.

Firstly Qui-Gon's body does not disappear like we see Obi-Wan's and Yoda's. So you must assume that you only become a force ghost if you evaporate before your death. Although Anakin appears and ROTJ does not show his body disappearing, I believe it is in the screen play though.

As for Carrie Fisher, does she look haggard? Yes she does compared to what she looked like thirty years ago. Hamill and Ford both equally look haggard and old. Harrison Ford in 42 is proof of that. As Baggio stated it is more acceptable to see a male age than it is a woman age. Does she look like she is excessively older than her years? No.

Firstly Qui-Gon's body does not disappear like we see Obi-Wan's and Yoda's. So you must assume that you only become a force ghost if you evaporate before your death. Although Anakin appears and ROTJ does not show his body disappearing, I believe it is in the screen play though.

i still maintain that Obi Wan and Yoda were already force ghosts and thats why they simply vanished, every other jedi that was killed by a lightsaber was cut or stabbed etc, obiwan simply vanished

i think both yoda and obiwan learned the force ghost thingy just to stay on for when the skywalker children became old enough to learn the jedi ways

i still maintain that Obi Wan and Yoda were already force ghosts and thats why they simply vanished, every other jedi that was killed by a lightsaber was cut or stabbed etc, obiwan simply vanished

i think both yoda and obiwan learned the force ghost thingy just to stay on for when the skywalker children became old enough to learn the jedi ways

But I thought that it was Qui-Gonn who perfected the ability and taught it to Yoda and Obi Wan? Plus Yoda and Obi Wan were clearly still alive. If they were force ghosts all along, there would be use for them to train Luke, as they could just use the force to f**k up the Empire, and being ghosts would come to no harm. The fact that they physically interact in the world shows them to be alive. A ghost couldn't hack off some poor guy's arm in the Mos Eisley cantina, or confuse two stormtroopers, or hire Han Solo, or raise an X-Wing out of a swamp. Plus why would Yoda fake his own death if he was already dead? He might have talked a bit cryptically, but I doubt he would go to such extremes for no reason.

But I thought that it was Qui-Gonn who perfected the ability and taught it to Yoda and Obi Wan? Plus Yoda and Obi Wan were clearly still alive. If they were force ghosts all along, there would be use for them to train Luke, as they could just use the force to f**k up the Empire, and being ghosts would come to no harm. The fact that they physically interact in the world shows them to be alive. A ghost couldn't hack off some poor guy's arm in the Mos Eisley cantina, or confuse two stormtroopers, or hire Han Solo, or raise an X-Wing out of a swamp. Plus why would Yoda fake his own death if he was already dead? He might have talked a bit cryptically, but I doubt he would go to such extremes for no reason.

so how did obi wan simply vanish when vader hit him with the lightsaber, every other jedi death except yoda's we see the jedi dying from their wounds, obi wan simply vanished

so how did obi wan simply vanish when vader hit him with the lightsaber, every other jedi death except yoda's we see the jedi dying from their wounds, obi wan simply vanished

There could be an argument that they vanished because they had embraced death, knowing what was to come for them, unlike Qui-Gonn who's death was unexpected.

I think that we're forgetting a crucial piece of information here.

Lucas was making this up as he went along. He nailed it with the original trilogy (ewoks aside) and got seriously found out ith the prequels.

He actually changed ROTJ to have Ewoks instead of Wookies mainly as he thought Ewoks would sell more toys.