The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

John Williams is on board to score the new trilogy of films :thumsup2

Edit - also Ryan Gosling is rumoured to be playing the part of Luke Skywalkers adult son

Luke skywalkers adult son means we wont be getting the thrawn storylines and infact the new film will jump past an enormous amount of expanded universe storylines

Yip I'm sure they already confirmed that the trilogy would be a new story rather than adapting some of the existing books

thats fair enough, but if they miss out the whole exapnded universe there will be a lot of explaining to do regarding luke, his older son, the new jedi order, han and leia's son being darth caedeus, luke's wife being murdered etc

thats fair enough, but if they miss out the whole exapnded universe there will be a lot of explaining to do regarding luke, his older son, the new jedi order, han and leia's son being darth caedeus, luke's wife being murdered etc

George Lucas always said that the expanded Universe was not relevant in the context of the films. It is very possible that Episode VII will not include any of the expanded Universe. JJ Abrams reset Star Trek with a time shift, and I wouldn't expect JJ Abrams to read every bit of literature and media that has been published after ROTJ and then try and fit his film into it.

George Lucas always said that the expanded Universe was not relevant in the context of the films. It is very possible that Episode VII will not include any of the expanded Universe. JJ Abrams reset Star Trek with a time shift, and I wouldn't expect JJ Abrams to read every bit of literature and media that has been published after ROTJ and then try and fit his film into it.

As Loki says, they'll probably choose to just totally ignore the expanded universe, meaning that no explanations at all are necessary. This means Luke could be married to anyone, was never married, or has a dead wife. What's to stop him having more than one son as well? And why not a daughter?

Also Han and Leia could have no children, or could have had five.

The point is, if they ignore the expanded universe, then basically they can create any storyline they want and develop the characters after the end of the events of ROTJ any way they want. There's nothing to stop them having a story line whereby the Rebels were hammered after blowing up the second Death Star and the Empire is still in place. They could reveal that Luke and Leia have another sibling. Han Solo could turn to be gay and marries Lando. As I say, they have infinite possible story lines and character developments.

Shame mind, as I love the expanded universe.

Talking of which, I'm currently reading the Fate Of The Jedi series. Some very interesting stuff. I've read The New Jedi Order, The Dark Nest Trilogy and The Legacy Of The Force series, all of which continue on the story of what's going on in the Star Wars galaxy. Fate Of The Jedi is set after The Legacy Of The Force. I'd highly recommend them. There's actually another series set after Fate Of The Jedi, but only 2 books have yet been written in it.

I've not read anything set before The New Jedi Order series, but I hear they too are quality, especially the Thrawn Trilogy. I'm going to start making my way through them all after I finish with what I'm on just now.

So much thought and attention, not to mention care, goes into the books. They really develop some excellent story lines and characters. The prequels were the exact opposite.

Timothy Zahn wrote five Star Wars books. They were excellently written and developed the characters that you knew very well, and introduced new characters that were both believable and you felt they should have been in the films.

I read everything up until the death of Chewbacca and I felt with each new trilogy of books that came out the writing suffered, and too many different authors were giving their own take on characters and it made each character different from book to book. You could tell that little input was given from Lucasfilm with these stories.

As another posted stated - Harrison Ford should be fine for resuming his character as an older Han Solo. The below picture was taken a couple of days ago. Mark Hamill should be fine if he loses a bit of weight, he actually looks like he already has from pictures I saw of him a couple of years ago. Carrie Fisher is indeed fcuked, not sure what they will do there

movies-star-wars-celebration-europe_1.jp

Have you seen Harrison Ford in the film "42"? I didn't recognise him at first, I only recognised the voice.

Edited to add picture:

130321164344-42-branch-rickey-harrison-f

Edited by Loki

Timothy Zahn wrote five Star Wars books. They were excellently written and developed the characters that you knew very well, and introduced new characters that were both believable and you felt they should have been in the films.

I read everything up until the death of Chewbacca and I felt with each new trilogy of books that came out the writing suffered, and too many different authors were giving their own take on characters and it made each character different from book to book. You could tell that little input was given from Lucasfilm with these stories.

He got death threats for killing off Chewbacca.

Aye Lucasfilm have pretty much no input short of saying yes or no to a plot.

As another posted stated - Harrison Ford should be fine for resuming his character as an older Han Solo. The below picture was taken a couple of days ago. Mark Hamill should be fine if he loses a bit of weight, he actually looks like he already has from pictures I saw of him a couple of years ago. Carrie Fisher is indeed fcuked, not sure what they will do there

movies-star-wars-celebration-europe_1.jp

She's a fucking mess. I have no idea what they're going to do.

He got death threats for killing off Chewbacca.

I think killing of Chewbacca was very apt. He paid his life debt to Solo by sacrificing himself to save his child. It was very fitting. However it was done just because the writer wanted to make a mark, it was the first book in a new series and he wanted to be controversial. The story was perfectly plausible and fine, but the writer did it just because he wanted to make an impact.

Is Palpatine in the expanded universe? I seem to remember something or other where he didn't really die or took form of someone else etc?

he was cloned if you will and his "spirit" if you can call it that was transferred to a clone, that happened in 2 books until his DNA samples were destroyed along with the cloning facility

regarding completely ignoring the expanded universe, surely they cannot be that bloody stupid to potentially piss off how many star wars fans?

imagine they make their own timeline and it turns out fucking dreadful, Abrams was lucky with Star Trek because he could use a point in time that doesnt need any backstory, or not much anyway

He will. How many Star Trek fans were pissed off that everything they had watched and read did not matter any more because of the time split? How many Star Wars fans were pissed off at how shite the prequels are?

There was a trilogy of books about Luke and Leia's mother that was completely shat on by the prequels. Anything after Episode VI is now a blank canvas. It doesn't make commercial sense to fit everything in. The films have always been seperate from the other media. Lucas has said this since he approached Timothy Zhan in the mid 90s to produce three novels. It is not a big deal.

A lot of expanded universe is terribly written and borrows heavily from other science fiction. Much like what Nolan did with the Batman series, I think he will take the main parts and write it his way greatly ignoring most of it.

Latest rumour is they will be bringing back Darth Vader for the new film......I have a bad feeling about this..

That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

But seriously, that would be impossible. Vader died on the Death Star after eating double portions of the Emperor's force lightning. Luke also burned his body. And of course Anakin Skywalker's force ghost appeared at the end of ROTJ, irrefutible proof that he was dead. In fact two different versions of his force ghost appeared. And thinking about it, Darth Vader ceased to be when he turned to the light side of the force and became Anakin Skywalker again.

Edited by DA Baracus