The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

I doubt sidious needed a bodyguard, he was much stronger and more advanced with the force than anyone in the 6 films we see, even anakin with his doped up midichlorian count, it just seems to be the sith way

He wasn't perfect though, Mace Windu managed to maim him badly (I've seen people claim that he allowed that to happen to motivate Anakin to defect although I don't completely buy that myself). Also by ROTJ, he's much more frail and he's using a walking stick so it seems as if he's no longer physically able to fight as he does in ROTS. I know Yoda can fight very well despite having a walking stick and being very old but I tend to rationalise that by rembering that Yoda is a different species to Palpatine and that extra stamina is the upside to being green, short and having an annoying speech pattern.

I imagine that Palpatine loved the feeling of power that came from of having someone as powerful as Darth Vader at his beck and call. He also strikes as the sort of tyrant who thinks that they are too important to have to deal with certain matters themselves and delegates other people to do it for them. In this instance, he has Vader do all the fighting rather than bother with it himself as seen when Luke draws his lightsaber in ROTJ and he doesn't make any move to defend himself because he knows Vader will do it for him.

Something I've always wondered is, why didn't they train Leia from the start as well? Then they'd have two top notch Jedi's to fight Vadar.

Because Leia being Luke's sister wasn't thought of until episode 5 :)

He wasn't perfect though, Mace Windu managed to maim him badly (I've seen people claim that he allowed that to happen to motivate Anakin to defect although I don't completely buy that myself). Also by ROTJ, he's much more frail and he's using a walking stick so it seems as if he's no longer physically able to fight as he does in ROTS. I know Yoda can fight very well despite having a walking stick and being very old but I tend to rationalise that by rembering that Yoda is a different species to Palpatine and that extra stamina is the upside to being green, short and having an annoying speech pattern.

I imagine that Palpatine loved the feeling of power that came from of having someone as powerful as Darth Vader at his beck and call. He also strikes as the sort of tyrant who thinks that they are too important to have to deal with certain matters themselves and delegates other people to do it for them. In this instance, he has Vader do all the fighting rather than bother with it himself as seen when Luke draws his lightsaber in ROTJ and he doesn't make any move to defend himself because he knows Vader will do it for him.

Having Palpatine fight with a lightsaber at all was a mistake. In ROTJ I assumed the reason for the walking stick and the decayed facial features was that he was just hideously old and using the Force to stay alive an unnaturally long time. Then he starts flinging lightning bolts around and you realise he is so powerful he doesn't *need* a lightsaber. The same should have been true in the prequels, and for Yoda as well. There wasn't any way to top the Darth Maul fight sequence from episode 1 so they should have had Yoda and Palpatine (and maybe Dooku and Windu as well) fight on another level entirely. They're not spring chickens somersaulting around like Obi Wan and Darth Maul. They should've advanced beyond that and should be fighting in a way that requires pure Force power and almost no physical exertion at all. And I don't mean flinging the senate chamber's furniture around.

Something I've always wondered is, why didn't they train Leia from the start as well? Then they'd have two top notch Jedi's to fight Vadar.

Same reason why Leia snogs Luke in Empire Strikes Back. Lucas didn't think of the idea of making Luke and Leia twins until the last minute but chucked it into the story regardless of whether it raised awkward questions about the story as a whole.

Remember Obi-Wan was initially reluctant to train Luke, as was Yoda.

Or that. Although I've never really liked that point either. Why the hell didn't he just raise Luke himself to become a Jedi? He could have had him prepared much earlier to fight Vader and the Empire. As it is, Luke only avoids being slaughtered like his Aunt and Uncle in A New Hope by sheer luck of not being home at the time.

He couldnt train luke in the force because palpatine sent ou vader, his force sensitive assassins to hunt down jedi

Waiting until the jedi purge was done was the only option

Now here's a good one for you all, 19 years between rots and anh, at the end of rots the death star is a good bit built, so how the f**k did it take 19 years to finish when during the clone wars they were flinging out star destroyers quick as f**k

He wasn't perfect though,

Windu has been described as having a lightsaber style as close to the darkside as you can get and it has been argued by far more geeky people than us that windu had the most effective fighting style in the starwars universe, so in a way its not the force more the duelling that windu bested him at

I actually think that palpatine was so skilled in the force that he planted the visions in anakins mind about padme

I actually think that palpatine was so skilled in the force that he planted the visions in anakins mind about padme

That's what I tend to presume happened as well. If it wasn't Palpatine using the force to manipulate Anakin's thoughts then those dreams must rank as some of the worst and deeply unhelpful premonitions ever.

He couldnt train luke in the force because palpatine sent ou vader, his force sensitive assassins to hunt down jedi

Waiting until the jedi purge was done was the only option

Now here's a good one for you all, 19 years between rots and anh, at the end of rots the death star is a good bit built, so how the f**k did it take 19 years to finish when during the clone wars they were flinging out star destroyers quick as f**k

I would go along with the idea that the surviving Jedi needed to avoid using the force to prevent being found by the Emperor and Vader, were it not for the fact that Palpatine not only managed to conceal that he was an extremely powerful Sith Lord, but he did it right under the noses of the Jedi whilst steadily taking over the galaxy.

If Palpatine could hide his force activities from the Jedi (training Darth Maul and Dooku for example), why couldn't Obi Wan or Yoda?

Edited by captainkev

Oh and whats with this 'Luke is the best pilot' nonsense, the boy clearly is a disaster:

1. In Episode 4 he gets R2 fried and is a split second away from being gunned down by Vader. Needed help.

2. Crashes in Empire Strikes Back on Hoth and gets his pal killed.

3. Crashes into a swamp

4. Crashes his speeder bike into a tree in ROJ

One thing I've thought they could've done with the prequels was, cut down the turning of Anakin to Vader to two films and the third could have been about Galen Marek, it'd be really interesting to see Vader f**k him up, as he turns to the Rebels, kind of like, you know, what happened to him and Obi Wan...

Edited by Mr. Brightside.

One thing I've thought they could've done with the prequels was, cut down the turning of Anakin to Vadar to two films and the third could have been about Galen Marek, it'd be really interesting to see Vadar f**k him up, as he turns to the Rebels, kind of like, you know, what happened to him and Obi Wan...

Hopefully thats covered in the tv series i posted about the previous page

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but why didn't the Jedi council get clones for each member. I mean if they did they would have probably won the war quicker and order 66 would have been a f**k up for the clones.

What exactly did Palpatine need Anakin for anyway? What did Anakin do that old Palps couldn't have done himself? Saved him from Mace Windass I suppose, but I highly doubt that was in the emperor's plan.

As mentioned, some think Palpatine let himself to tempt Anakin. But it could just be that he's rather take Anakin for the Dark Side. If Obi Wan kills him at the end of ROTS then it'd be a loss to the Dark Side but at least it takes him away from the Jedi Council as well.

Then he starts flinging lightning bolts around and you realise he is so powerful he doesn't *need* a lightsaber. The same should have been true in the prequels, and for Yoda as well.

They'd need to come up with something else, force lightning is just for siths, isn't it?

If Palpatine could hide his force activities from the Jedi (training Darth Maul and Dooku for example), why couldn't Obi Wan or Yoda?

Deception is probably just a dark side power, Jedis shouldn't lie. :P

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but why didn't the Jedi council get clones for each member. I mean if they did they would have probably won the war quicker and order 66 would have been a f**k up for the clones.

Do you mean to actually replicate them so there's two of them and thus double the amount of jedis? (because you won't be able to replicate the force like that).

If you mean just so they have body doubles and 50% chance of surviving it then they wouldn't have expected Palpatine and Anakin to turn on them, it'd need to be kept pretty secret as well, otherwise Palpatine or Anakin might have been able to find out. (or whoever they were suspicious of double crossing them. They might've thought their force powers were so great that no one could deceive them like that. Pride comes before the fall.)

Do you mean to actually replicate them so there's two of them and thus double the amount of jedis? (because you won't be able to replicate the force like that).

Well more than 2 but obviously not as powerful as the original Jedi. Would the force affect your ability with a lightsaber ?

Well more than 2 but obviously not as powerful as the original Jedi. Would the force affect your ability with a lightsaber ?

I don't think they'd be any more powerful than the clones they make. To give the clones the same powers as the jedis, you've need to replicate them perfectly, (mid-chlorians and all) and I assume you can't, otherwise one side would've done it by now. Or it's ridiculously difficult and time consuming to do so.

I don't know, I'd assume it's just a weapon that requires great skill so there's very few who can wield it without the force. (Grievous being one)

Cloning jedi doesn't work according to the expanded universe, the cloned force user actually starts going insane "joruus C'baoth" was one

Plus apparently the crystal in the lightsaber focuses the users force energy, so a clones diminished force power, if any, would result in shite lightsabering

And why did the fighters have to fly through a wee tiny hole in rotj when there was a big huge f**k off gaping hole left from luke first blowing it up

It was a different Death Star. The first one was completely destroyed.