The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

On 27/05/2023 at 09:15, well fan for life said:

Decided to watch all the films again for the first time in yeeeeears. Watched The Phantom Menace last night as was left with a couple of thoughts.

1. Anakin was the immaculate conception 😂. I had totally forgotten this detail and it is a wild, wild thing. "Conceived by the midichlorians"

2. The Darth Maul fight is still the GOAT of all lightsaber fights. It's so so good.

3. They really loved blue/green screen. 

I'll add to that, duel of the fates is the best star wars music piece ever made, 

19 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Oofftt big call there

All 3 were garbage imo, only good thing to come out of them was the clone wars animated series

Aye they were all poor but Phantom Menace was the least poor and had the most good bits.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye they were all poor but Phantom Menace was the least poor and had the most good bits.

The darth maul fights probably gave it the upper hand, geonosis in AotC was decent and RotS was horrible apart from maybe Yoda vs Palpatine, 

Episode 2 notes:

• Some truly, truly awful CGI on display here. 
  • The clone battle is pretty good.
  • Yoda's absolutely at it with that cane. Drops it to fight Dooku in the most acrobatic fashion then immediately starts limping again as soon as he's done. It's like that episode of Still Game when Winston's trying to avoid the DSS. 
  • Always weirded me out that Boba picks up the helmet which, presumably, still has his da's severed head in it. 

Not as good as episode 1, will compare with episode 3 in due course. 

28 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Episode 2 notes:

• Some truly, truly awful CGI on display here. 
  • The clone battle is pretty good.
  • Yoda's absolutely at it with that cane. Drops it to fight Dooku in the most acrobatic fashion then immediately starts limping again as soon as he's done. It's like that episode of Still Game when Winston's trying to avoid the DSS. 
  • Always weirded me out that Boba picks up the helmet which, presumably, still has his da's severed head in it. 

Not as good as episode 1, will compare with episode 3 in due course. 

Dont compare it with ep 3, absolutely nothing of ep 3 bar yodas fight with palps is rewatchable, 

Even windu vs palps is a shambles of a fight lol

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Dont compare it with ep 3, absolutely nothing of ep 3 bar yodas fight with palps is rewatchable, 

Even windu vs palps is a shambles of a fight lol

My man I am in for a penny in for a pound at this point. Is it going to be terrible? Almost certainly. Will I at least be able to point and laugh? Absolutely.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequel films.

It's not the worst, I'll give it that. Attack of the Clones is borderline unwatchable at times. 

Pod race and Maul fight are way above anything in that imo

None of them have aged well due to over use of CGI....and Hayden Christensen's 'acting'

On 27/05/2023 at 09:15, well fan for life said:

Decided to watch all the films again for the first time in yeeeeears. Watched The Phantom Menace last night as was left with a couple of thoughts.

1. Anakin was the immaculate conception 😂. I had totally forgotten this detail and it is a wild, wild thing. "Conceived by the midichlorians"

2. The Darth Maul fight is still the GOAT of all lightsaber fights. It's so so good.

3. They really loved blue/green screen. 

I saw this when it first came out. It didn't make Star Wars any better. Instead of the force being some mystical thing that goes through you and surrounds you, now it sounds like an STI. "Sorry, son, you've got a dose of the midichlorians"

I took my dad to see it at the Allan Park cinema in Stirling. He had injured his shoulder at work and was wincing in pain all the way through. The fact the film was rubbish wasn't helping. he was having a miserable time. Just before the final light saber fight, the fire alarm went off and we had to leave. On the way out the staff offered us a free ticket to come back and watch it again. My dad just said "No" and walked past.

Episode 3. Christ. 

Awful acting. Awful, awful, awful CGI. 

The one thing we got that was good was Obi Wan saying the thing:

Obi Wan Hello GIF by Star Wars

I'd probably say they diminished in quality throughout the films. 

On to Solo (which I remember being quite good fun) and then Rogue One (The GOAT).

Bit late to the party, but I finished Andor last night.  Definitely up there as one of the best SW shows so far.  Really enjoyed the slow, almost ponderous at times, way it told it's story.

Really looking forward to the second series.  The score was excellent as well.

On 18/06/2023 at 09:51, well fan for life said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story.

It's just dumb fun tbh. Doesn't take itself too seriously and is quite entertaining. Thumbs up from me.

Yep.  I really enjoyed it for what it was.  I wouldn't have minded seeing more of that story as well, but that looks unlikely.

On 14/06/2023 at 09:21, KnightswoodBear said:

Bit late to the party, but I finished Andor last night.  Definitely up there as one of the best SW shows so far.  Really enjoyed the slow, almost ponderous at times, way it told it's story.

Really looking forward to the second series.  The score was excellent as well.

Think i'll watch this again to binge it, much more enjoyable way to watch shows.

• 2 weeks later...