The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

11 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It wasn't tbh. 

Reva was a new character and they had some focus on her but that description you've posted is inaccurate. The vast majority of plot and screen time is OWK. 

Not suggesting you are at all but old school nerdy Star Wars fans really don't seem to like black people having prominent roles.

Hmmm, I don't enjoy the inference here, but the folk I saw actually had more issue in the end with how her character wasn't well developed and was the waste of a good actress. I'm not a nerdy SW fan at all. I saw ROTJ and the prequels, but haven't seen the first one (and nothing marks me out as a muggle than referring to "a new hope" as "the first one").

Given the love that old school nerdy Star Wars fans have for Ashoka, your implication of racism would appear wide of the mark. John Boyega as Finn was a character that the fandom, as far as I could see, thought should have been the central character and had the more interesting arc, but was wasted too.

There's a vogue nowadays for big studios to deflect attention away from shite writing by calling attention to "toxic fans" with their online abuse. It's generally gaslighting pish. I know it happens, of course. It's awful, but we know that twitter is an absolute cesspit and facilitates some of the worst of behaviour. 

I appreciate the alternative opinion on her prominence.

31 minutes ago, velo army said:

Hmmm, I don't enjoy the inference here, but the folk I saw actually had more issue in the end with how her character wasn't well developed and was the waste of a good actress. I'm not a nerdy SW fan at all. I saw ROTJ and the prequels, but haven't seen the first one (and nothing marks me out as a muggle than referring to "a new hope" as "the first one").

Given the love that old school nerdy Star Wars fans have for Ashoka, your implication of racism would appear wide of the mark. John Boyega as Finn was a character that the fandom, as far as I could see, thought should have been the central character and had the more interesting arc, but was wasted too.

There's a vogue nowadays for big studios to deflect attention away from shite writing by calling attention to "toxic fans" with their online abuse. It's generally gaslighting pish. I know it happens, of course. It's awful, but we know that twitter is an absolute cesspit and facilitates some of the worst of behaviour. 

I appreciate the alternative opinion on her prominence.

You're perhaps reading an inference when there's not. I said clearly I'm not directing that at yourself. 

Generally speaking the Star Wars fans have proven time and time again to be a hotbed of angry racist people. Of course the majority of fans won't be but there is a major issue there. Perhaps you're not plugged into the social media stuff as much or perhaps you disregard it but the poor Asian actress from the last film series got bullied off Twitter, countless death threats etc.. far more abuse than I've seen aimed at shit white characters and I'm genuinely amazed anyone's thoughts on the reaction to Boyega could be seen as a positive one. 

It was quite a big story and the way he himself has spoken about the fans and reactions he got tells a tale you've clearly missed. He personally feels like they changed his character and sidelined him purely due to the negative backlash from the racists.

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

Aye, the Star Wars fanbase has it's fair share of neckbearded OFTW.

I think the franchise can suffer from nearly always trying to appeal to both it's older, adult fanbase and the younger more diverse fans (plus the need to sell merch). Sometimes it gets the balance right like The Mandolorian and The Clone Wars animation, other times it fails to completely satisfy everyone.

I really enjoyed kenobi. Mcgregor put in a great performance in a role he clearly loves. Hayden never deserved the criticism he got for the prequels imo but I was young when they came out and the desired audience. If they where to do a season 2 then as much of a minefield as it would be to keep the story straight, I think the pair of them during the clone wars would be really good to put in to live action. I really think some people are complete anoraks when it comes to star wars and just need to dispel belief at times and enjoy it for what it is.

The leia not knowing obi wan in ANH isn't as clear cut the more i think about it, sure she only puts in the recording about obi wan serving under her father in the clone wars, but doesn't specifically make out that she doesn't know him

Plus of all the planets in the galaxy, her ship was at the one planet obi wan was on (likely told where to find him if ever needed by bail organa maybe) 

If they manage to do a season 2 they could maybe involve ahsoka and maul, f**k knows where they go with reva as not a mention of her or even any inquisitors in the original trilogy, 

28 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

The biggest let down and plothole is the lack of explanation as to what Jar Jar was doing in this time period. 

I have my own suspicions but we need definitive answers. 

I still maintain he was a Sith creation like Snoke.

I fucking loved that last episode. The fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was tremendous. It’s interesting all the people that say “Why didn’t OWK/DV finish the other one?”, but for me, that sums up the relationship and differences between them. Vader walked away because his arrogance made him think there was no way Obi-Wan could survive, while Obi-Wan walked away because he couldn’t bring himself to give in to the anger and darkness.

The leia not knowing obi wan in ANH isn't as clear cut the more i think about it, sure she only puts in the recording about obi wan serving under her father in the clone wars, but doesn't specifically make out that she doesn't know him
Plus of all the planets in the galaxy, her ship was at the one planet obi wan was on (likely told where to find him if ever needed by bail organa maybe) 
If they manage to do a season 2 they could maybe involve ahsoka and maul, f**k knows where they go with reva as not a mention of her or even any inquisitors in the original trilogy, 

Kenobi doing his training with Qui Gon, decides to traverse to find Yoda to discuss Luke & Leias role in the future etc.

Could always have him encounter some fallen Jedi. Apart from that I don’t know how else to do a series 2.

Kenobi doing his training with Qui Gon, decides to traverse to find Yoda to discuss Luke & Leias role in the future etc.

Could always have him encounter some fallen Jedi. Apart from that I don’t know how else to do a series 2.
I don't think the story between here and a new hope really needs to be furthered. Like I said in my previous post, live action clone wars story could be amazing. Am I wrong in thinking ahsoka has a show confirmed? Could be a great way to integrate them with all that.

16 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

At the end. OH HI QUIGON YOU'RE MORE IRISH THAN I REMEMBER. Talk about phoning it in FFS.

I disagree with pretty much the entire rest of your post, but I'm so glad you pointed that out. I've not seen anyone else mention it and was starting to think I was imagining hearing it.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I still maintain he was a Sith creation like Snoke.

I fucking loved that last episode. The fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was tremendous. It’s interesting all the people that say “Why didn’t OWK/DV finish the other one?”, but for me, that sums up the relationship and differences between them. Vader walked away because his arrogance made him think there was no way Obi-Wan could survive, while Obi-Wan walked away because he couldn’t bring himself to give in to the anger and darkness.

Surely destroying the sith isn't giving into the darkness and anger though, i get obi wan felt betrayed by anakin turning to the dark side, felt he had failed someone close to him etc, but essentially once vader says to obi wan that he killed anakin, surely obi wan should have ended him being he was the sith,

And if he couldnt bring himself to actually kill anakin (vader or not) then theres a whole galaxy who'd like to say "thanks ya dick" 😂

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

6 hours ago, grumswall said:
7 hours ago, mizfit said:

I don't think the story between here and a new hope really needs to be furthered. Like I said in my previous post, live action clone wars story could be amazing. Am I wrong in thinking ahsoka has a show confirmed? Could be a great way to integrate them with all that.

Him meeting ahsoka could be good, ahsoka going to him for help with the rebellion (when she was fulcrum) could work, have an ahsoka season one then integrate both their season 2's together 

The live action clone wars would be fucking tremendous, theres so many good story arcs in the clone wars that can be adapted, the attack on kamino, landing at point rain, the christophsis campaign amongst others 

12 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I think the message has been given a pass, especially in light of Bail Organa's spill all the beans effort. It does start with General Kenobi you served my father in the Clone Wars and ends with Obi-Wan you are only hope. Getting a touch more personal because of that.

I haven't watched the film in a while, but people have moved on to the idea that Leia had zero reaction to Obi-Wan's death.

I hope they don't do a 2nd series. Kenobi's arc has been fleshed out and it's now done. The Ashoka series will be set roughly around the same time anyway.

Show us something else from another period, but still related to the saga. Young Palpantine perhaps.

2 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I hope they don't do a 2nd series. Kenobi's arc has been fleshed out and it's now done. The Ashoka series will be set roughly around the same time anyway.

Show us something else from another period, but still related to the saga. Young Palpantine perhaps.

I've always wanted to see Darth Plagueis the Wise and young Palpers

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I've always wanted to see Darth Plagueis the Wise and young Palpers

Aye, reckon that would be pretty cool, following the story of him discovering his force powers and being drawn to the dark side, before becoming Plagueis' apprentice then merking him. Maybe chuck in a less old Yoda and an up and coming Mace Windu and Qui Gon.

2 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Aye, reckon that would be pretty cool, following the story of him discovering his force powers and being drawn to the dark side, before becoming Plagueis' apprentice then merking him. Maybe chuck in a less old Yoda and an up and coming Mace Windu and Qui Gon.

Personally, now, id prefer if they didn't tap in to characters like Yoda, Qui Gon and to a lesser extend big Mace. Id rather see some new characters and leave the old ones alone.

I'd want to see some sneaky sith shit, backstabbing each other, shady apprentices and some grey / dark Jedi challengers. Build on the very little we know about the dark side.

Anakins Padawan years would be a good animated series actually.