The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah agree. If done right it hopefully won't be something that utterly ruins that original scene. Other than that I'm hoping its a good watch, I like McGregors Obi Wan and he was one of the best parts of the prequels imo.

Aye obi wan was a well developed character, even the animated one was class as well, 

What is the massive plot hole if Obi fights Vader again? Vader says in ‘A New Hope’ - “I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.”

It does sound like from that that Vader had never seen Kenobi again since Mustafar until this moment on the Death Star. But it could be argued, depending on how you wan to interpret the quote, that he simply hadn’t seen Obi Wan in a long time and had perhaps duelled him many years earlier after becoming Darth Vader. So unless there is another quote from the films or I am missing another plot hole then I am not entirely against an Obi Wan vs Vader fight.

12 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What is the massive plot hole if Obi fights Vader again? Vader says in ‘A New Hope’ - “I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.”

It does sound like from that that Vader had never seen Kenobi again since Mustafar until this moment on the Death Star. But it could be argued, depending on how you wan to interpret the quote, that he simply hadn’t seen Obi Wan in a long time and had perhaps duelled him many years earlier after becoming Darth Vader. So unless there is another quote from the films or I am missing another plot hole then I am not entirely against an Obi Wan vs Vader fight.

Because also vader and his inquisitors were tasked to hunt down and kill any remaining jedi, yet in a new hope both vader and the emperor are just kicking about the galaxy, 

Theres absolutely no chance that vader, with all his hatred for obi wan, would find him, not defeat him, and then simply leave and say "ah f**k it, let him go" 

The minute both vader and especially the emperor knew obi wan was alive, they would pretty much use every resource the empire had to hunt him down, we never seen anything like that in a new hope

We seen in rebels the efforts the empire go to hunt both ezra and kanan, so them not looking for obi wan seems a bit far fetched 

15 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Appropriate typo. Well played!

On 13/02/2022 at 10:31, 54_and_counting said:

Because also vader and his inquisitors were tasked to hunt down and kill any remaining jedi, yet in a new hope both vader and the emperor are just kicking about the galaxy, 

Theres absolutely no chance that vader, with all his hatred for obi wan, would find him, not defeat him, and then simply leave and say "ah f**k it, let him go" 

The minute both vader and especially the emperor knew obi wan was alive, they would pretty much use every resource the empire had to hunt him down, we never seen anything like that in a new hope

We seen in rebels the efforts the empire go to hunt both ezra and kanan, so them not looking for obi wan seems a bit far fetched 

You do realise the plot hole you talk about doesn’t exist until the actual story is told?  There’s 100s of ways they can tell the story.  We already had a discussion numerous pages back.  

Anyway Starwars loves things from a certain point of view:

“A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.”

😂

1 hour ago, Loki said:

You do realise the plot hole you talk about doesn’t exist until the actual story is told?  There’s 100s of ways they can tell the story.  We already had a discussion numerous pages back.  

Anyway Starwars loves things from a certain point of view:

“A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.”

😂

Aye true, given that disney just allowed a palpatine to adopt the skywalker name because, well just because, 🤣

Will be interesting to see what they do with the series as a whole, the only canon thing now that we know obi wan did while hiding from the empire is that he killed maul, so they have plenty of timeframe to work with 

Saved up episode 7 of Boba Fett for a double viewing with what I thought was episode 8 as finale. :( Enjoyable series if not as flowing as The Mandalorian, a bit disjointed in the middle. 

Spoiler

Never really forgave them for wiping out the Tuscans, it wasn't needed for the plot and they could have come back to save the day in the last episode.

58 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Despite what you think of the BOBF, this must be a golden era for Star Wars content 

I wouldn’t have believed you a few years ago if you told me we had a show that featured all these characters 

1D5FD97D-4332-43B7-B658-B6A05CA55C0A.jpeg

That's a fair point, and when these shows end they will be remembered as such. 

Star Trek is having a similar "golden age" but the shows they are churning out are largely shite. A decade ago I would have been delighted to have 5 Trek shows on the go at once. Now I'd settle for one good one.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That's a fair point, and when these shows end they will be remembered as such. 

Star Trek is having a similar "golden age" but the shows they are churning out are largely shite. A decade ago I would have been delighted to have 5 Trek shows on the go at once. Now I'd settle for one good one.

Star trek is struggling because in all its shows etc, they never really expanded the idea of having more characters outside the main cast, think of TNG, apart from Q, who else is really memorable to the point you'd want to see more of them in a show

They also done the "going back in the timeline" with enterprise, but they can't really go back further as no one is really interested in the likes of the vulcans and klingons pre first contact, again because they didnt try and expand these different groups

Disney got kinda lucky in that lucas allowed the old expanded universe back in the day, so it opened up a galaxy of characters and potential stories, yeah they are all non canon now but it created a demand for more of these character stories

Star trek for me should have done a show which followed on after the war with the dominion, absolutely no way the alpha quadrant just all went about their own ways, keep most of the ds9 crew, add some more major players and fill it out

Star trek is struggling because in all its shows etc, they never really expanded the idea of having more characters outside the main cast, think of TNG, apart from Q, who else is really memorable to the point you'd want to see more of them in a show
They also done the "going back in the timeline" with enterprise, but they can't really go back further as no one is really interested in the likes of the vulcans and klingons pre first contact, again because they didnt try and expand these different groups
Disney got kinda lucky in that lucas allowed the old expanded universe back in the day, so it opened up a galaxy of characters and potential stories, yeah they are all non canon now but it created a demand for more of these character stories
Star trek for me should have done a show which followed on after the war with the dominion, absolutely no way the alpha quadrant just all went about their own ways, keep most of the ds9 crew, add some more major players and fill it out

cd4a001f6679b3ef3dfb2d4d3468ec08.jpg

13 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

In my view Star Trek is struggling due to the quality of the "primary" show. Discovery, in my view, is awful - a number of escalating problems all under-pinned by show runners sledgehammering home equality type issues and characters as a primary plot device when a) many viewers like myself already are fully on board with the messaging and b) its clumsy and boring especially when compared with any previous Star Trek show that simply subtly promoted equality and focused solely on plot and stories. 

I really hope Strange New Worlds has different show runners and has a completely different approach to Discovery. 

By contrast, The Mandalorian and now Boba as the primary SW shows, are in my view, excellent. 

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

You are right about TNG but DS9 had a fantastic expanded cast. 

In my view Star Trek is struggling due to the quality of the "primary" show. Discovery, in my view, is awful - a number of escalating problems all under-pinned by show runners sledgehammering home equality type issues and characters as a primary plot device when a) many viewers like myself already are fully on board with the messaging and b) its clumsy and boring especially when compared with any previous Star Trek show that simply subtly promoted equality and focused solely on plot and stories. 
I really hope Strange New Worlds has different show runners and has a completely different approach to Discovery. 
By contrast, The Mandalorian and now Boba as the primary SW shows, are in my view, excellent. 

Picard series 1 was mindnumbingly awful.

It happens a lot with their series - Voyager didn't pick up until series 4, Discovery series 1 & 2 were just dire. It's like they come up with an udea and realise it isn't working so ditch it after 2 or 3 series.

DS9 (still the best series) did not get going until the end of series 2 when the Jem'Hadar appeared.