The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

On 20/03/2024 at 10:44, Central Belt Caley said:

Trailer for the Acolyte released yesterday, think it’s set 100 years before the Phantom Menace. Hopefully should be good 

It's Kat Kennedy's star wars. 

It'll be garbage. 

Star Wars is just a hollowed out shell of itself now and Disney churn out series after series of badly written, identity-political heavy shows which are instantly forgettable.

On 23/03/2024 at 14:48, velo army said:

It's Kat Kennedy's star wars. 

It'll be garbage. 

Star Wars is just a hollowed out shell of itself now and Disney churn out series after series of badly written, identity-political heavy shows which are instantly forgettable.

Have you seen "ANDOR"?

2 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Have you seen "ANDOR"?

No. I heard it was good though. 

Given the sheer volume of Star Wars which is being shat out by Disney it was inevitable that one of the myriad series wouldn't be shite. I also enjoyed series one and two of the Mandelorian. It wasn't utterly fantastic, but it was decent. The last scene with Skywalker was rubbish though and I reckon was a reaction to the utter gubbing that they'd taken about Luke's treatment in ROTJ. 

The three films were crap but one of the spinoffs was quite good. Two of the Mando series were good. Andor was apparently good.

Everything else has been obviously and (should be) embarrassingly bad. They're more interested in hiring activists who can push their narcissistic political agendas than competent writers who can tell good stories.

And there's fucking hunners of it.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

They're more interested in hiring activists who can push their narcissistic political agendas

What does this mean? I've thought all I've watched of it was shite other than Andor but I've never seen this outside the title of obese gentlemen's youtube videos so can you elaborate on something I might have missed

4 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

What does this mean? I've thought all I've watched of it was shite other than Andor but I've never seen this outside the title of obese gentlemen's youtube videos so can you elaborate on something I might have missed

Ach to be honest I shouldn't use the term activist as it's applying a negative value to something that I feel is inherently positive. Activists are those who serve something larger than themselves and promote a cause to help others, generally speaking.

What we have in a lot of movies now (and especially Disney) is a lot of narcissistic self-insertion in the form of the "strong female character" which ironically is nothing of the sort as they have no character and whose behaviour apes the worst of the toxic male archetypes that they tend to disparage. Often the female characters are pretty obnoxious, smug and put down their male counterparts at every opportunity. Rey, to be fair, isn't an example of this, but she doesn't have any development, doesn't earn any powers or skills and exemplifies the "Mary Sue" archetype with sad accuracy. 

A lot of the promotion around the movies especially was overtly identity political. A lot of the chat around the shows too is a big move away from "patriarchal" Star Wars of old and more in the direction of female led stories. This isn't about serving the story, the world or the fans (80% of whom are male) rather than furthering a particular agenda. Disney don't seem to have any self awareness about this and continually churn out the same shite that is designed for a non-existent audience. There's a great middle ground here. You hire actual writers who are competent and ask them to write a female-led Star Wars story. You'd end up with a character (a la Ridley or Sarah Conner) who is enduring and popular because their character goes through a journey and shows vulnerability. What we have is a bunch of writers who hate the source material, dislike the existing fans and are committed to writing stoic female villains and telling us that they're heroes. 

I'm not even that into Star Wars by the way, but I see a thread running through not just Star Wars but other previously beloved stories (James Bond, Indiana Jones for example) being "deconstructed for modern audiences" and I'm finding it all a bit unpleasant.

14 hours ago, velo army said:

Ach to be honest I shouldn't use the term activist as it's applying a negative value to something that I feel is inherently positive. Activists are those who serve something larger than themselves and promote a cause to help others, generally speaking.

What we have in a lot of movies now (and especially Disney) is a lot of narcissistic self-insertion in the form of the "strong female character" which ironically is nothing of the sort as they have no character and whose behaviour apes the worst of the toxic male archetypes that they tend to disparage. Often the female characters are pretty obnoxious, smug and put down their male counterparts at every opportunity. Rey, to be fair, isn't an example of this, but she doesn't have any development, doesn't earn any powers or skills and exemplifies the "Mary Sue" archetype with sad accuracy. 

A lot of the promotion around the movies especially was overtly identity political. A lot of the chat around the shows too is a big move away from "patriarchal" Star Wars of old and more in the direction of female led stories. This isn't about serving the story, the world or the fans (80% of whom are male) rather than furthering a particular agenda. Disney don't seem to have any self awareness about this and continually churn out the same shite that is designed for a non-existent audience. There's a great middle ground here. You hire actual writers who are competent and ask them to write a female-led Star Wars story. You'd end up with a character (a la Ridley or Sarah Conner) who is enduring and popular because their character goes through a journey and shows vulnerability. What we have is a bunch of writers who hate the source material, dislike the existing fans and are committed to writing stoic female villains and telling us that they're heroes. 

I'm not even that into Star Wars by the way, but I see a thread running through not just Star Wars but other previously beloved stories (James Bond, Indiana Jones for example) being "deconstructed for modern audiences" and I'm finding it all a bit unpleasant.

A lot more cogent than the aforementioned YouTube videos then! I think there's something to what you say, but I think you're maybe missing that adults are not the target market for any of this, except in the case of piggies who'll eat up any old slop as long as it has blasters, or edge cases like andor where they randomly decide to give a genuinely terrific writer license to make an espionage thriller series.

The product is otherwise overwhelmingly for kids so what could look like cynically or incompetently deployed poor character development etc could be a conscious choice to keep things easy for a young audience. Not completely convinced on that, and think it's largely mince either way, but just to add to your own thoughts