The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

Anakins Padawan years would be a good animated series actually.

I dunno, as much as the likes of kenobi etc are pretty decent, they lack suspense given we know who needs to live or die

It'll be the same with the ahsoka series, if its set before mando then we know that no matter the danger shes in, she'll survive

We kinda need new characters, new stories that we don't know the outcome of so theres some suspense

On 25/06/2022 at 09:54, FairWeatherFan said:

I think the message has been given a pass, especially in light of Bail Organa's spill all the beans effort. It does start with General Kenobi you served my father in the Clone Wars and ends with Obi-Wan you are only hope. Getting a touch more personal because of that.

I haven't watched the film in a while, but people have moved on to the idea that Leia had zero reaction to Obi-Wan's death.

Her week started with her ship being boarded and it's crew slaughtered, then she got tortured a fair bit, then her homeworld was blown to bits killing the entire population, her (adopted) family - basically everything and everyone she'd ever known and loved. Then she nearly got flattened by a trash compactor.

I mean, there is only so much you can react to in a given time.

Edited by renton

There's a lot of shit that needs to happen in the 7 years from the end of this season to A New Hope to explain many things, not just with the characters but with the galaxy as a whole.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's a lot of shit that needs to happen in the 7 years from the end of this season to A New Hope to explain many things, not just with the characters but with the galaxy as a whole.

Is this not covered by Rogue 1 and the forthcoming Andor ?

I’ve just watched the first 2 episodes of Obi-Wan. McGregor is fine but a lot of it is comically bad. Some of the action sequences are a shambles and the Third Sister character has had me laughing out loud at the standard of acting and the appalling dialogue. 

I also can’t believe they made the Chinese looking character in the Inquisitors wear that hat! 😆

I have heard it improves drastically so sticking with it.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Fair comment, the dialogue in Star Wars has always been of the highest standard

It’s not as jarringly bad as the first 2 episodes as Obi-Wan. Third Sister’s is up there with the very worst points of the prequels.

34 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It’s not as jarringly bad as the first 2 episodes as Obi-Wan. Third Sister’s is up there with the very worst points of the prequels.

It really is. 

Take of the nostalgic specs. The OG films had some laughable patter, inconsistencies, shite acting and plot holes all the way through them. 

There has been some awful stuff in Kenobi, ill admit.

But all I was in it for was Ewan McGregor reprising the Kenobi role and seeing Vader played by Christiansen. The scenes they were in were more than good enough for me. 

The Turd Sister was terribly written and acted. Leia shouldn't have been in it. It should have been purely Vader hunting down Kenobi from the start through the Inquisitors or his own secret apprentice or bounty hunter or something. But it was always going to be a bit of a dead rubber as we all know Vader or Kenobis end point.

Was it Tolkien level stuff? Nope. But tbh I don't want that in my Laser Sword weilding Space Wizard Opera. 

Despite its problems, it was still more enjoyable than the entire ST for me, and all other movies post Disney era.

However, please please please stop it now Disney. Keep Mando going, its a good wee series. If you're doing a second Kenobi season then ok, I'm fine with that as long as there's no more daft links to the OT now. Just have him go off, train with Qui Gon and then kill some secret apprentice Vader sends after him or something. A third StarKiller or something. Don't have him go off and meet Chewie or Lando or something.

As I said before, let's see some weird Dark Side stuff. Young Palpy and his Master, or a story set way before the PT. Even Darth Revan or Malgus. Jedi Hunters. Dark Jedi. Something fresh.

And I dont care for the up coming Cassio And/Or or whatever it is.

11 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

There has been some awful stuff in Kenobi, ill admit.

But all I was in it for was Ewan McGregor reprising the Kenobi role and seeing Vader played by Christiansen. The scenes they were in were more than good enough for me. 

The Turd Sister was terribly written and acted. Leia shouldn't have been in it. It should have been purely Vader hunting down Kenobi from the start through the Inquisitors or his own secret apprentice or bounty hunter or something. But it was always going to be a bit of a dead rubber as we all know Vader or Kenobis end point.

Was it Tolkien level stuff? Nope. But tbh I don't want that in my Laser Sword weilding Space Wizard Opera. 

Despite its problems, it was still more enjoyable than the entire ST for me, and all other movies post Disney era.

However, please please please stop it now Disney. Keep Mando going, its a good wee series. If you're doing a second Kenobi season then ok, I'm fine with that as long as there's no more daft links to the OT now. Just have him go off, train with Qui Gon and then kill some secret apprentice Vader sends after him or something. A third StarKiller or something. Don't have him go off and meet Chewie or Lando or something.

As I said before, let's see some weird Dark Side stuff. Young Palpy and his Master, or a story set way before the PT. Even Darth Revan or Malgus. Jedi Hunters. Dark Jedi. Something fresh.

And I dont care for the up coming Cassio And/Or or whatever it is.

IM actually more hyped for Andor than I was for Kenobi. 

There are a lot of people that think Rogue one is actualy the best Star Wars film (me included) so getting more of that, for me is going to be amazing, even the trailer looks head and shoulders above anything else star wars related except for the Madalorian. It gets the blend of technology but poverty for the general public more in keeping with the originals. Again though with Andor even though its 2 seasons, you know where it ends so probably wont have the same impact.

Again the Mandalorian for me works as it looks and feels like star wars with characters that (in the main) that werent in any of the movies but are recognisable as being of the star wars universe

I loved the last episode and I think it's a good end to the series.  It will be interesting to see if they decide to go for a second series, as they've pretty much left it in a place that sets up A New Hope.  The only way it could work is if it's completely absent of Vader or any of the OT characters and has Obi Wan off doing some stuff totally under the radar.  

The duel between Vader and Obi Wan in this episode was everything I think you could have hoped for and it sort of closes that "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master" plot hole from ANH, as Obi Wan very definitely shows him he's still in charge here.

I loved the way they had Anakin and Vader's voices overlapping when his helmet was broken (despite them already using that same trick in Rebels) and the way they lit it, with the blue of Obi Wan's lightsaber on his face when for the briefest moment it looked like Obi Wan's words were getting through to him, then the change to red when he closed himself off again.

Not sure about the plot holes it opens up though, with Leia very much knowing who Obi Wan is, but not appearing to have any memory of him by the time ANH comes around.

8 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Not sure about the plot holes it opens up though, with Leia very much knowing who Obi Wan is, but not appearing to have any memory of him by the time ANH comes around.

She knew his name, background and where he lived, she had to to send him the death star plans.