The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Liked seeing Alderaan (hope nothing bad happens to it) and Daiyu (great cyberpunk vibes). Some of it was a little cringey, particularly the chase scenes, but not out of place for Star Wars. That ending scene for episode 2 tho 👀

13 hours ago, captainkev said:

Just watched the Obi-Wan premiere episodes. Was the most excited I've been for anything Star Wars related for a while now and these first two episodes are very encouraging. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I've got some thoughts on the two episodes but I'll put them in spoilers.

Hide contents

Was Leia appearing in the show common knowledge? It really caught me off guard, although I might just have not being paying enough attention to the build up news. If it was a secret then they've played a blinder, misleading us by showing young Luke and Uncle Owen in trailers etc given that they've actually had very little screen time so far.

Is it really plausible that Obi-Wan didn't know that Anakin is still alive? I know Tatooine's on the outer rim, and Obi-Wan's keeping his head down - wanting to hear as little about the Empire as he needs to. However, after 10 years surely some word about Darth Vader being out hunting the Jedi would have gotten around? He's informed enough to tell Leia that the Inquistors are fallen Jedi after all.

Loved Kumail Nanjiani as a con-artist Jedi impersonator. Expect we'll see him again before the series is finished.

The cameo from Temuera Morrison as an impoverished clone trooper veteran was a nice touch. Ewan McGregor plays the interaction with him really well; getting across pain, bitterness and then pity - all without any dialogue. It really doesn't add anything to the plot, but it's a strong little character moment.

I know he's denied it in interviews, but Liam Neeson is 100% appearing at some point as a force ghost. They've made a point of showing Obi-Wan calling out for his help in both episodes. My bet is he'll eventually show up when Obi-Wan needs some morale to stop running and go face Vader.

Speaking of which, not remotely surprised at the 2nd episode's ending. When they announced the series was launching with the first two episodes it was a safe bet that the latter episode would end on the first appearance of Vader. Just a little teaser to keep building hype for the show, and I am so on-board for it. That final shot of him in the bacta tank is genuinely menacing. It seems like they are not going to be shying away from showing just how unpleasant life in that armour is for what's left of the man Vader used to be.

I was wondering the same about Leia. It was a total surprise to me and I wondered if I'd missed something.

Brilliant first two episodes. Plus we now never have to wonder what would happen if they crossed Star Wars and Bladerunner

21 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:
  Hide contents

Only laughable bit is obi wan, ex jedi master being outran by a fucking ten year old lassie across rooftops lol

Tbf, he's only ten years away from being Alec Guiness at this point...

43 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Only laughable bit is obi wan, ex jedi master being outran by a fucking ten year old lassie across rooftops lol

Spoiler

Any uncle in their 40s will tell you that having to chase their 10yo niece is the hardest run you'll ever make. Factor in the energy he uses up hiding his Force sensitivity, and it's now wonder he was fooked

8 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Liked seeing Alderaan (hope nothing bad happens to it) and Daiyu (great cyberpunk vibes). Some of it was a little cringey, particularly the chase scenes, but not out of place for Star Wars. That ending scene for episode 2 tho 👀

Aye I'm just near the end of episode 1 and had to come on to mention this. 

Spoiler

It's like nobody has any form of acceleration. 

Leia outrunning 3 grown adults who were clearly not running was a bit too obvious for me, also the actress looks like she's 6 or something. 

Aside from that visually it's very enjoyable so far. 

17 hours ago, captainkev said:

Just watched the Obi-Wan premiere episodes. Was the most excited I've been for anything Star Wars related for a while now and these first two episodes are very encouraging. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I've got some thoughts on the two episodes but I'll put them in spoilers.

Hide contents

Was Leia appearing in the show common knowledge? It really caught me off guard, although I might just have not being paying enough attention to the build up news. If it was a secret then they've played a blinder, misleading us by showing young Luke and Uncle Owen in trailers etc given that they've actually had very little screen time so far.

Is it really plausible that Obi-Wan didn't know that Anakin is still alive? I know Tatooine's on the outer rim, and Obi-Wan's keeping his head down - wanting to hear as little about the Empire as he needs to. However, after 10 years surely some word about Darth Vader being out hunting the Jedi would have gotten around? He's informed enough to tell Leia that the Inquistors are fallen Jedi after all.

Loved Kumail Nanjiani as a con-artist Jedi impersonator. Expect we'll see him again before the series is finished.

The cameo from Temuera Morrison as an impoverished clone trooper veteran was a nice touch. Ewan McGregor plays the interaction with him really well; getting across pain, bitterness and then pity - all without any dialogue. It really doesn't add anything to the plot, but it's a strong little character moment.

I know he's denied it in interviews, but Liam Neeson is 100% appearing at some point as a force ghost. They've made a point of showing Obi-Wan calling out for his help in both episodes. My bet is he'll eventually show up when Obi-Wan needs some morale to stop running and go face Vader.

Speaking of which, not remotely surprised at the 2nd episode's ending. When they announced the series was launching with the first two episodes it was a safe bet that the latter episode would end on the first appearance of Vader. Just a little teaser to keep building hype for the show, and I am so on-board for it. That final shot of him in the bacta tank is genuinely menacing. It seems like they are not going to be shying away from showing just how unpleasant life in that armour is for what's left of the man Vader used to be.

I don't believe it's public knowledge that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker. Going by the way they teed up the recaps of the prequels would suggest Obi-Wan thought he left Anakin for dead.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Hide contents

I don't believe it's public knowledge that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker. Going by the way they teed up the recaps of the prequels would suggest Obi-Wan thought he left Anakin for dead.

Spoiler

Obi wan knew that anakin became Darth vader though, so the mere mention of vader publicly would have sparked him

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Obi wan knew that anakin became Darth vader though, so the mere mention of vader publicly would have sparked him

Yeah Vader's true identity isn't known by many. As far as the rest of the galaxy knows Anakin was killed by Vader during Order 66. But surely news and rumours of someone called Darth Vader hunting the remaining Jedi would have reached Obi-Wan on Tatooine? Especially with the large criminal element coming and going.

Also, in their appearances in other stuff do all the inquisitors know who Vader was, or has Reva figured it out? Either way, can't imagine Vader will be pleased if he finds out Reva has been going around crowing about who really is.

Spoiler

How does Reva know Leia will bring Obi Wan out of hiding? She not only knows Anakin is Vader but that his young lass is kicking about on Alderann with Jimmy Smits? Who's mind has she read?

ETA Just re watched the part where it is explained. My dog was moaning for a pish so I let him out and missed that bit.

Was also nice to see Flea make an unexpected appearance. He always plays some sort of punk and the scene where he was mashed was ideal for him!

Thought it was a very decent start. McGregor is a great actor and looks like he's loving it. The Inquisitors having an internal power struggle is a good idea but Reva is really irritating. I'm guessing that's what they're going for but it was annoying come the end of the second episode. She was more like Batman in some shots and the Force Parkour was good till she forgot about it as Kenobi flew off.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I presume we are going to get Ian McDiarmid at some point in the Obi Wan series as well?

Hopefully. 

Big Palps hamming it up is always a good thing.

No lightening planet though, just Death Star and Star Destroyers please.

On 28/05/2022 at 23:41, Rodhull said:

It may be the slowest ever chase sequence commited to film. Made the Father Ted milk float episode seem rapid by comparison.

2nd slowest (relatively speaking). The slowest, funnily enough, also being Star Wars with that utter disaster of a chase with the mods' speeders in BOBF........

17 minutes ago, gkneil said:

2nd slowest (relatively speaking). The slowest, funnily enough, also being Star Wars with that utter disaster of a chase with the mods' speeders in BOBF........

Jeez I'd somehow managed to completely forget about that already.

Which is probably for the best for a lot of that show as well.

Edited by Rodhull