The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

They haven't retconned any of the original 6 films have they? 

I'm not sure but given the mess that was Episode IX and the way they Old Yellered the EU I don't think they'd have a problem with rewriting a line of dialogue from A New Hope if it led to a confrontation loads of fans want to see. Lucas himself didn't care about retconning shit either whether it was the prequels making established lore from the OT problematic or clearly deciding Vader was Luke's dad and Leia Luke's sister after the fact.

I don't really have a problem with that anyway. I don't think the writers should necessarily feel themselves tied by something which wasn't integral to the plot of the series and, as others have pointed out, can be easily explained away.

*BOOMER COMMENT* I hate the obsession w/ plot holes tho which apparently puts me in a minority these days *BOOMER COMMENT*

23 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Vader hunted down all sorts of jedi across the galaxy to wipe them out, theres no way he gets schooled off obiwan on tatooine and simply fucks off in his star destroyer thinking "ah well, maybe next time" 

If disney imply such a thing then its silly season, the emperor would absolutely obliterate a planet to kill a jedi such as obiwan, 

I only watched the films 2 years back so definitely don't know all the ins and outs, I casually love the films, I'm not an OG so my take is probably always going to be an amateur one but my first point is that's it's obviously a fictional piece of work, what you want to happen is probably more in line with the history of the subject but you cant discount the fact new writers might not see it that way, they could probably try and spin in in a shitey way and not really care. Secondly, I thought most of the Star Wars fans thought the recent trilogy was silly season anyway. I enjoyed them but the whole revival of Palpy certainly annoyed some people I know in terms on consistency to the older films. 

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped into each other in the new series even if that might be shite to some people. 

ETA - I would actually love it if they had another fight. Imagine the fucking scenes if Vader had the high ground. 

Edited by Stormzy

19 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Vader hunted down all sorts of jedi across the galaxy to wipe them out, theres no way he gets schooled off obiwan on tatooine and simply fucks off in his star destroyer thinking "ah well, maybe next time" 

If disney imply such a thing then its silly season, the emperor would absolutely obliterate a planet to kill a jedi such as obiwan, 

And if he did find Obiwan and was beaten again, do you think he’d go straight to the Emperor crying he lost again?

A large part of his fall to the dark side was his ego and arrogance.  He thought he should be a master despite not being ready etc etc.  He lost his legs because he thought he was more powerful than Obiwan, and Obiwan knew as soon as he jumped it was over.

He was left burning to death, screaming he hated Obiwan.  Seething with rage that Obiwan beat him.  If he was to be beaten by Obiwan again, after hunting and killing just about every other Jedi, he isn’t going to tell Palpatine anything.  

He’s going to think what can an old hermit living in tattooine actually do?  There is plenty of scope there to tell a story connecting the dots between series, while not needing to retcon the original trilogy.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

*BOOMER COMMENT* I hate the obsession w/ plot holes tho which apparently puts me in a minority these days *BOOMER COMMENT*

12689683-DEE8-4413-A851-2327590DE22A.png

10 minutes ago, Loki said:

And if he did find Obiwan and was beaten again, do you think he’d go straight to the Emperor crying he lost again?

A large part of his fall to the dark side was his ego and arrogance.  He thought he should be a master despite not being ready etc etc.  He lost his legs because he thought he was more powerful than Obiwan, and Obiwan knew as soon as he jumped it was over.

He was left burning to death, screaming he hated Obiwan.  Seething with rage that Obiwan beat him.  If he was to be beaten by Obiwan again, after hunting and killing just about every other Jedi, he isn’t going to tell Palpatine anything.  

He’s going to think what can an old hermit living in tattooine actually do?  There is plenty of scope there to tell a story connecting the dots between series, while not needing to retcon the original trilogy.

And if vader was beaten by obiwan again do you think he'd let him be with the knowledge that palps could find out or do you think he'd simply overwhelm the place with stormtroopers etc, remember vader had the 501st battalion at his disposal, his ego would have forced him to fight obiwan, but if he were to lose he'd most likely send in the troopers to finish the job

Plus obiwan imo would be more likely to try everything to avoid confrontation and indeed to avoid anyone knowing anything about him so the secret of luke doesn't get out, 

And given its set 9BBY, obiwan would probably be to old by that point to defeat vader, 

But mind you, if disney feel the fans would jump at a rematch they'll find a way to do it, i just think it would be mental to the originals if they did

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

And if vader was beaten by obiwan again do you think he'd let him be with the knowledge that palps could find out or do you think he'd simply overwhelm the place with stormtroopers etc, remember vader had the 501st battalion at his disposal, his ego would have forced him to fight obiwan, but if he were to lose he'd most likely send in the troopers to finish the job

Plus obiwan imo would be more likely to try everything to avoid confrontation and indeed to avoid anyone knowing anything about him so the secret of luke doesn't get out, 

And given its set 9BBY, obiwan would probably be to old by that point to defeat vader, 

But mind you, if disney feel the fans would jump at a rematch they'll find a way to do it, i just think it would be mental to the originals if they did

Yes I think it’s quite believable that if he was beaten again he would keep that from Palpatine.   Why would he send shitty storm troopers to kill Obiwan?  It would be fruitless.  They might not even battle on Tattooine, Obiwan could sneak off planet and disappear back to Tattooine before your battalion arrives.  Keeping the secret.

As for the age thing, how old was Yoda or Dooku?  Dooku easily beat both Obiwan and Anakin and he would have been older than Obiwan in this series.  Even in Episode IV when Obiwan is old as dust he only gets defeated as he lets Vader strike him down.

Just watch the show and see what happens.  This isn’t JJ Abrams making this.  Relax.

FWIW I don't know if they will push for it or even if I want it to but if Disney want it to happen then it will. 

And they managed to have reunions of sorts with Maul and Obi Wan and Vader and Ahsoka and both of them worked really well on Rebels. They were arguably the highest points of that show and were both post-Disney acquisition.

As an aside I'm listening to the A More Civilised Age pod who are doing deep dives into the Clone Wars series and it is really, really funny how much some writers like Filoni became really obsessed with trying to explain or avoid creating problems with the established lore. Like one of the hosts points out that Grievous never meets Anakin in 7 seasons of that show all because there's one scene in Revenge of the Sith where Anakin says "you're shorter than I expected", and Grievous says "I expected someone with your reputation to be a bit... Older."

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Yes I think it’s quite believable that if he was beaten again he would keep that from Palpatine.   Why would he send shitty storm troopers to kill Obiwan?  It would be fruitless.  They might not even battle on Tattooine, Obiwan could sneak off planet and disappear back to Tattooine before your battalion arrives.  Keeping the secret.

As for the age thing, how old was Yoda or Dooku?  Dooku easily beat both Obiwan and Anakin and he would have been older than Obiwan in this series.  Even in Episode IV when Obiwan is old as dust he only gets defeated as he lets Vader strike him down.

Just watch the show and see what happens.  This isn’t JJ Abrams making this.  Relax.

Yeah it will bw interesting to see what they do with it, i just dont see, unless they do a good bit of retconning, how vader wouldnt do anything possible to kill obiwan if he knew he was alive

As for the age thing, dooku did beat them once, but when anakin was way more trained dooku didn't stand a chance 

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Yeah it will bw interesting to see what they do with it, i just dont see, unless they do a good bit of retconning, how vader wouldnt do anything possible to kill obiwan if he knew he was alive

As for the age thing, dooku did beat them once, but when anakin was way more trained dooku didn't stand a chance 

He trained Anakin from about eight years old.  Part of his fall came from him thinking Obiwan didn’t think he was ready.  Each defeat would hurt his ego, and his arrogance in believing he was the chosen one, would see him obsessed with ensuring he was the one to kill him.  His hatred would fuel that.

And how did Anakin do when he faced Obiwan after beating Dooku?  He got his legs chopped.  

53 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

am working way through Clone Wars show again. Its excellent. you forget the great the voice acting is - Dooku for example is mesmerising whenever he speaks. 

I'm watching it again cause a bunch of podcasters I really like started a Clone Wars pod - https://amorecivilizedage.net/

The guy that voices Dooku also turns up next to Christopher Lee in some of the Kingdom Hearts games which is rly funny. Like two guys trying to do impressions of each other.

17 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

am working way through Clone Wars show again. Its excellent. you forget the great the voice acting is - Dooku for example is mesmerising whenever he speaks. 

Yeah clone wars was fantastic at times, landing at point rain episode and the full umbara arc were just tremendous 

On 02/04/2021 at 15:35, NotThePars said:

obi-wan-kenobi-cast-4767.jpeg

Nick Nikas being in Star Wars is so class. 

There's definitely a narrative to be had for this. A bridge from Obi Wan who was unleashing an emotional tirade at Anakin as he was burning to within an inch of his life, to the calm, stoic Obi-Wan that is sacrificing himself to buy time for Luke and the others to escape on the Death star.

You've got 19 years of self-imposed isolation and the arguable responsibilty on shoulders. Plenty of lonely time in the desert grieving his friends, his jedi pals while the universe has unravels under a free reign empire since his confrontation, not to mention the part he played in creating Darth Vader, never mind the big realisation he survived. If you don't think a third confrontation to bridge between the two, you just need to see how brilliant it was watching Ashoka confront Vader in Rebels.

Plus Hayden Christensen can finally get the chance to rewrite the whiny little bitch he played into the terrifying, hateful son of a bitch we've all come to know and love.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw on Mark Hamill’s Instagram that THAT scene from The Mandalorian has been nominated for a BAFTA, so I’ve watched it again and again over the last hour or so. 

The whole thing is obviously brilliant, but Giancarlo Esposito deserves a special mention for his “Oh shit” face when he realises what is about to go down.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Saw on Mark Hamill’s Instagram that THAT scene from The Mandalorian has been nominated for a BAFTA, so I’ve watched it again and again over the last hour or so. 

The whole thing is obviously brilliant, but Giancarlo Esposito deserves a special mention for his “Oh shit” face when he realises what is about to go down.

I watched that scene again recently and still get goosebumps. Its what we all wanted but never thought we'd get. Especially after TLJ. 

On 01/05/2021 at 21:12, Mark Connolly said:

That was the Luke we all wanted to see in the sequels, not the bitter old recluse who tried to kill his nephew at the first hint of darkness despite believing his father could be redeemed after committing genocide and destroying a planet.  

I got emotional watching it for the first time.  How they integrated some OT and clone wars characters in the Mandalorian showed how to do fan service in a meaningful way that also moved the plot on. 

Looking  forward to the book of Fett.