The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Just call it what it as, shit writing. Thematically inconsistent between films, plot twists that got teased and either dumped meandered, characters with near zero development and went from nobodies to taking on top force users and being ace pilots in no time what so ever. 

It was a series of films by a company more interested in merchandise than lore. 

Best summed up by someone who said: in 1977 George Lucas had a story he was trying to make into a movie, in 2019 Disney had a movie they were trying to make into a story.

The problem with star wara now is that there isnt enough time to flesh out the characters, look at the marvel universe, it took 3 standalones and a group film to fully flesh out iron man, even then there was still more to come from his charcter in later films

With the new trilogy of star wars they decided to finish a story, but because of the large star wars universe they had to have a number of characters, 

If they chose to start a brand new star wars story they could have made it a marvel universe type beginning, but for some reason they only wanted a trilogy, and thats the problem, nearly 7hrs of run time isnt enough to flesh out 3 or 4 main characters, 2 backroom characters, keep old ones relevant, and have big budget star wars battles

Marvel done it right, and disney should use that for the next star wars series of films

3 movies should be enough for a good writer to bring those characters together. And I'd argue that if they had one writer and director for all three movies and had the story mapped out, this trilogy would have come together a lot better than it ended up coming out.

Plenty of movies have done more with less. You bring up the MCU but they merely CHOSE to do things the way they do it. It's not even close to being a necessity. You say Iron Man needed two standalones, but ultimately, those two did f**k all to build that character. There was more work done in Ultron and Civil War to flesh that out. An example of doing much more with less screen time.

IMG_20200106_083856.jpg.d70c21130e38a45f80d1a98bd63c7b29.jpg

It was pretty shite tbh, although I did 'enjoy' it to a certain degree as it was a Star Wars movie. Positives were Richard E Grant, the Death Star wreckage and lightsaber dual, Ben Solo's redemption and Lando. The rest ? Meh.

In a generation (or cycle, whatever you want to call it) that has seen great content such as Rogue One, The Mandalorian, Jedi Fallen Order video game, ( I'll leave Solo out, even though I personally thought it was good ) the quality of the last 2 films is inexcusable. The prequels were better.

Rumours going about saying the next movie is going to be set in the “High Republic” era - 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. When the Sith Rule of Two was first introduced.

Think this could be a really interesting setting but it does raise some questions as one of the Jedi council mentions in Episode 1 the Sith have been extinct for roughly a millennia.

“Project Luminous” that was announced by SW Publishing to start this year is also apparently tied to the High Republic. If this is the case it seems it’s been in the works for a while so it does sound like they’ve got a plan this time round. As much as I love the sequel trilogy it’s clear there were too many cooks and not one clear vision between them all about where it was going.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/the-next-star-wars-film-saga-to-be-set-during-the-high-republic-era/

I just hope the next film series doesn't require knowledge of all the TV shows they're making, as I have no intention of getting Disney+ and ever watching them.

If it is set before Phantom Menace, will they retrospectively f**k about with the numbers of all the films again?

5 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

3 movies should be enough for a good writer to bring those characters together. And I'd argue that if they had one writer and director for all three movies and had the story mapped out, this trilogy would have come together a lot better than it ended up coming out.

Plenty of movies have done more with less. You bring up the MCU but they merely CHOSE to do things the way they do it. It's not even close to being a necessity. You say Iron Man needed two standalones, but ultimately, those two did f**k all to build that character. There was more work done in Ultron and Civil War to flesh that out. An example of doing much more with less screen time.

Of course they did build the charcter, the first film basically was spent on iron man becoming iron man, there was a sideshow of his enemy but that's it, there wasnt really any side characters needing screen time, not more than one plot, just how iron man became him, 

2nd fleshed out rhodes, pepper, introduced fury and black widow, and they had time to because they didnt have to fanny about telling us how stark became iron man

Look at TFA, they introduced finn, poe, rey, ren, 4 main characters that we knew half arsed stuff about, 

I know the MCU way is one way that doesnt need to be followed, but its a good way and one that has proven successful in building a franchise of charcters, whereas disney tried to shoehorn a plot, 4 reoccuring charcters, 4 new main charcters, and big star wars battle scenes all into 3 films, 

I just hope the next film series doesn't require knowledge of all the TV shows they're making, as I have no intention of getting Disney+ and ever watching them.
If it is set before Phantom Menace, will they retrospectively f**k about with the numbers of all the films again?

Although they will technically be prequels to the prequels I don’t think so. They’ve made a big deal about calling Episode 1-9 The Skywalker Saga.

It’s definitely a difficult task balancing a movie to have tie-in information and lore for hardcore fans and making the movie understandable for those that are just fans of the movies. I’ve not seen many Marvel films but from what I understand they do a good job of it as you can just watch the Avengers movies and understand what is going on without watching every single movie they’ve put out (but watching those other movies will make you appreciate little things in the Avengers movies more). I hope Disney can get to that point with SW but I’m also a bit reluctant that they dive straight into “let’s copy what we’ve done with Marvel!!!”.

8 hours ago, sonsism said:

Although they will technically be prequels to the prequels I don’t think so. They’ve made a big deal about calling Episode 1-9 The Skywalker Saga.

It’s definitely a difficult task balancing a movie to have tie-in information and lore for hardcore fans and making the movie understandable for those that are just fans of the movies. I’ve not seen many Marvel films but from what I understand they do a good job of it as you can just watch the Avengers movies and understand what is going on without watching every single movie they’ve put out (but watching those other movies will make you appreciate little things in the Avengers movies more). I hope Disney can get to that point with SW but I’m also a bit reluctant that they dive straight into “let’s copy what we’ve done with Marvel!!!”.

The problem is if they want a film series with a good amount of charcters we are supposed to be invested in then they cant just throw them in with half explained stories 

Take Finn for example, we're now supposed to believe he was going to tell rey that he's force sensitive, absolute bollocks that this has never once came up before and seems like something they just decided to throw in for f**k knows what reason, 

But if they gave him a standalone film, show him being abducted as a child for the FO, they could have fleshed him out, have Snoke put him with ren's squad because he felt the force in Finn and wanted to keep an eye on him etc etc 

On 06/01/2020 at 21:35, 54_and_counting said:

... Take Finn for example, we're now supposed to believe he was going to tell rey that he's force sensitive, absolute bollocks that this has never once came up before and seems like something they just decided to throw in for f**k knows what reason, ...

There was a question of why he was able to fight Kylo Ren quite effectively at one point in TFA and maybe JJ Abrams thought it would have been in tune with the broom boy stuff in TLJ.

Disney seem to have been more intent on making sure nobody thought him and Poe were gay when the final cuts were made. All a bit of a mess in the end but a three hour run time would probably have helped make it less chaotic and disjointed.

I put Finn being able to fight Kylo in TFA down to his stormtrooper training.

I enjoyed it but didn’t. Felt like JJ was just told to wrap it up without anyone checking over stories. Apparently there is a 4 hour cut of the film available, but we’ve heard those rumours since revenge of the Sith was released.

On 06/01/2020 at 10:48, sonsism said:

Rumours going about saying the next movie is going to be set in the “High Republic” era - 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. When the Sith Rule of Two was first introduced.

Think this could be a really interesting setting but it does raise some questions as one of the Jedi council mentions in Episode 1 the Sith have been extinct for roughly a millennia.

“Project Luminous” that was announced by SW Publishing to start this year is also apparently tied to the High Republic. If this is the case it seems it’s been in the works for a while so it does sound like they’ve got a plan this time round. As much as I love the sequel trilogy it’s clear there were too many cooks and not one clear vision between them all about where it was going.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/the-next-star-wars-film-saga-to-be-set-during-the-high-republic-era/

talk about flogging a dead horse

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The last four episodes of The Clone Wars were tremendous viewing. Pleasantly surprised when the final episode dropped today.

And in other news Taika Watita will be making a Starwars film. That’s pretty exciting, I loved Ragnarok, JoJo Rabbit and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I don’t think I can bring myself to watch the utter shite Rise of Skywalker yet.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

The last four episodes of The Clone Wars were tremendous viewing. Pleasantly surprised when the final episode dropped today.

And in other news Taika Watita will be making a Starwars film. That’s pretty exciting, I loved Ragnarok, JoJo Rabbit and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I don’t think I can bring myself to watch the utter shite Rise of Skywalker yet.

It is not as bad as i expected,i watched Rouge One again today.

31 minutes ago, Loki said:

Don't waste your time, its absolute dog shit.