The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Went in Expecting not to like it, but ultimately found it quite a lot of fun. I know there is a spoiler warning on the thread - but *Spoilers* below

watched a few reviews on youtube which have largely panned it, and many of the points they bring up I noticed and agree with, by all means its not perfect. Perhaps its a reflection that Im not massively into Star Wars like many other people, the only thing that really bothered me was pretty much everything involving Palpatine. I thought it was stupid that he was even in the film in the first place - But I thought he was a ridiculous character here. A few other minor gripes, one being their decision to pretend someone is dead - but it turns out no they are not. I enjoyed (for lack of a better word) 'killing off' Chewie - I was surprised by it at least, and then in what seemed like the next scene He is back. 

Anyway despite all the negatively, I would recommend people watch this film.

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Rey had both pieces and fixed it.

In Last Jedi if I remember right Luke only uses the green lightsaber in the flashbacks where he could have killed Ben. In the final confrontation on Crait his 'projection' uses a blue lightsaber.

I just watched The Last Jedi back and you can see the broken lightsabre in her hands at the end.  So not a quantum leap to see she fixed it.    I would still argue that it was Anakin's sabre - not Luke's - and Luke's is still green, but I concede that it makes sense in the story as we see it.

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

FwF says what I was gonna say lol, infact didnt rey and finn use the blue saber fighting ren at the end of TFA after the throne room shenanigans

You're confusing the two films there.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I just watched The Last Jedi back and you can see the broken lightsabre in her hands at the end.  So not a quantum leap to see she fixed it.    I would still argue that it was Anakin's sabre - not Luke's - and Luke's is still green, but I concede that it makes sense in the story as we see it.

You're confusing the two films there.

So I am, my apologies

10 hours ago, Loki said:

I think a lot of people would see it as being Luke's by this point as he "inherited" from Anakin. He had it for the first two films. Luke only made his own because he lost the blue one.

The green lightsaber is presumably destroyed at this point as Luke apparently gave it to the caretakers on Ahch-To. If it was in the temple, Rey would of burned it with the rest of the artificats.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think a lot of people would see it as being Luke's by this point as he "inherited" from Anakin. He had it for the first two films. Luke only made his own because he lost the blue one.

The green lightsaber is presumably destroyed at this point as Luke apparently gave it to the caretakers on Ahch-To. If it was in the temple, Rey would of burned it with the rest of the artificats.

Plus the fact that rey took it to ahch-to and handed it back to luke as if it was his

I watched all the films (other than Solo) before watching TROS yesterday. Here's what I think of this trilogy:

The Force Awakens

An absolute breeze in the best and worst meanings of the word. It's really fun and was exactly what the series needed after the prequels, but it never felt like there were any real stakes or conflict. Not to get all 'Mary Sue', but Rey's ability to do everything really does defuse a lot of tension.

It's probably the worst film of the trilogy for the characters, although the groundwork was still laid to do interesting things with Finn and Kylo - the trilogy never made the most of Finn eventually though. 

I was happy going along with the ride, however the cynical part of me did get annoyed at how calculated it felt by preying on your nostalgia.

It's taken for granted in Star Wars, but the character designs are so good, and having a massive budget while avoiding entirely CG characters makes it all look lifelike. 

The Last Jedi

I hadn't seen TFA since it came out in 2015, but this was my third time seeing TLJ in a couple of years. I was really down on it the first couple of times, but the fact that a lot of critics I like think it's really good has always made me wonder what I've been missing.

I liked it a lot better this time. 

The inner conflict in the main characters is arguably the best of any SW film, although, as part two in a trilogy, a lot of it isn't resolved in this one. It is still an unsatisfactory film, in my opinion. The whole SUBVERTING YOUR EXPECTATIONS stuff didn't grate as much (though I still didn't find it particularly clever) - the humour did grate as much.

While I still found Poe's thread to largely feel quite like an OK TV episode, his dynamic with Holdo worked a lot better than before. It just really works to develop Poe and leaves him in a place where he's essentially been responsible for the deaths of so many of his allies, but it's entirely in keeping with his character. 

I didn't care where the story was going after the end of this, but I was interested in where the characters would go. 

Finn and Rose's wee adventure is still shit: the tone and even the writing feels out of place with the rest of the film. 

The Rise of Skywalker

After TLJ having mapped out characters and story, this was a mess that had things happen because they were required to. It felt like a poor open world video game that had the characters go there, do this, and meet dull characters on their way. It's at times even incomprehensible.

Obviously they completely disregarded TLJ, which rendered TROS a bit of a hack job - it's a response to its predecessor rather than a sequel. 

Kylo was the only character who actually carried on from the previous film and had an arc through the trilogy, which was annoying as Poe and Rey had interesting work done previously. 

The film's conclusion felt like they needed justification for the title, but I had kind of zoned out by then. 

The trilogy as a whole

The fanfare around TFA was really exciting and it was nice seeing so many people really going for a film, and the polarisation around TLJ made it interesting, even if it became horribly toxic. The way the trilogy has kind of splatted is disappointing.

I'm conflicted on whether they should've had a plan from the start, as that can be detrimental to creativity but the lack of one has ultimately made it a mess. Should there have been a plan for each writer and director to follow? Should there have just been one writer for all three? Should they have had the same co-writer for each one? 

To be honest, I'm glad the trilogy has happened as there's been some really great stuff in there, but it's a shame (yet interesting) to have watched how the public's opinion of the franchise has changed so much in four years and five films, from mass hysteria in the buildup to TFA, to rage after TLJ, then, from what I can tell, apathy around Solo and TROS. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'm conflicted on whether they should've had a plan from the start, as that can be detrimental to creativity but the lack of one has ultimately made it a mess. Should there have been a plan for each writer and director to follow? Should there have just been one writer for all three? Should they have had the same co-writer for each one?

Abrams interview with Simon Mayo the other day is worth listening to on this point, especially how he and Kasdan had lots of ideas for the 3 story arc initially, and went back to them when he got the Episode 9 gig.

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

No every Jedi has to make their own lightsabre, that's one of the last trials of becoming a Jedi.  Yoda burned the Jedi temple/tree not Rey. 

8 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Plus the fact that rey took it to ahch-to and handed it back to luke as if it was his

And then Luke threw it away like it wasn't his 🤣

Anyway that's the last time I will get into semantics over the lightsabre.

As the poster mentioned above it did seem like a lack of definitive plan over two and three cost the trilogy in its story telling.  They were spectacular films though.  Is it the Rian Johnson trilogy next?  After that GoT writers got dunted?

Just home from seeing it and I thought it was great. There's plenty of things I didn't like/agree with throughout the film but when I was walking out the cinema I couldn't help but smile and just didn't care about discussing minor issues then.

I think it helped that I'd rewatched The Last Jedi just before it. There's loads of interesting things in TLJ and stuff I like, but ultimately the film was a mess with storylines all over the place. This felt like a much better organised film with a much more succinct storyline.

I also just love watching Kylo Ren and Rey fight. The prequel trilogy had some fantastic lightsabre battles in it, but they were all very choreographed. Rey/Ren still look like skilled fighters but have a rougher style where they really need to slog it out at times.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

And then Luke threw it away like it wasn't his 🤣
Anyway that's the last time I will get into semantics over the lightsabre.
As the poster mentioned above it did seem like a lack of definitive plan over two and three cost the trilogy in its story telling.  They were spectacular films though.  Is it the Rian Johnson trilogy next?  After that GoT writers got dunted?

The GoT writers trilogy was meant to be the next trilogy starting in 2022 but f**k knows if that happens now. Apparently more information is being released on the 2022 movie in January (I’ve seen that on twitter but not found an actual source backing it up yet).

The next movie is going to be a big one for them. They don’t have the characters / actors of the older movies to fall back on. I’d like to see The Old Republic. I’m happy for them to continue doing Skywalker saga stuff on Disney+ (like the Obi Wan series).

Just home from seeing it and I thought it was great. There's plenty of things I didn't like/agree with throughout the film but when I was walking out the cinema I couldn't help but smile and just didn't care about discussing minor issues then.
I think it helped that I'd rewatched The Last Jedi just before it. There's loads of interesting things in TLJ and stuff I like, but ultimately the film was a mess with storylines all over the place. This felt like a much better organised film with a much more succinct storyline.
I also just love watching Kylo Ren and Rey fight. The prequel trilogy had some fantastic lightsabre battles in it, but they were all very choreographed. Rey/Ren still look like skilled fighters but have a rougher style where they really need to slog it out at times.

The Darth Maul fight is the best lightsaber battle in all of Star Wars. It's so, so clean.

2 hours ago, sonsism said:

The GoT writers trilogy was meant to be the next trilogy starting in 2022 but f**k knows if that happens now. Apparently more information is being released on the 2022 movie in January (I’ve seen that on twitter but not found an actual source backing it up yet).

The next movie is going to be a big one for them. They don’t have the characters / actors of the older movies to fall back on. I’d like to see The Old Republic. I’m happy for them to continue doing Skywalker saga stuff on Disney+ (like the Obi Wan series).

The GOT writers  Star Wars deal has already been cancelled. They've moved on to a deal with Netflix now I think.

The GOT writers  Star Wars deal has already been cancelled. They've moved on to a deal with Netflix now I think.

Aye I meant if they’ll continue the project without them or scrap it completely. No idea how far along it was though I know they met with George Lucas and had a conversation with him about it.

Although they said it was mutual between the two parties I can’t imagine the reception to GoT last season didn’t play at least a small part in the decision. I wasn’t a massive fan of GoT in general but by all accounts they completely fucked it up to the point where barely anyone liked the last series.

1 minute ago, sonsism said:

Aye I meant if they’ll continue the project without them or scrap it completely. No idea how far along it was though I know they met with George Lucas and had a conversation with him about it.

Although they said it was mutual between the two parties I can’t imagine the reception to GoT last season didn’t play at least a small part in the decision. I wasn’t a massive fan of GoT in general but by all accounts they completely fucked it up to the point where barely anyone liked the last series.

Yeah the way they went back and buckled to all the complaints about the last jedi would probably mean the last thing they would want would be more griping from fans because the Thrones writers were involved. Would imagine they'll start fresh rather than carry on whatever they were planning.

At this point if you've made plenty of money already hard to imagine why any writers/directors would want to get involved with all the hassle of star wars fans.

Mind you if the main Marvel movies guy is getting involved now maybe some of the people involved in that stuff would jump over. Favreau already has done pretty well with the Mandalorian.

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

The music helped that massively, duel of the fates is one of the best scores ive ever heard in films 

completely agree. its a mystery that nothing comes even close in the next five SW movies - all seem like rehashes of the main score from eps 4,5 and 6 and have been dialled in.