Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

In the specific example of Nepal, it's commonly accepted that Nepalese are fantastic mountaineers because of their experience of living in low O2 conditions, not because it's theoretically easier to climb in a thinner atmosphere.

Nepal get across the line with two wickets and 35 balls spare  to complete the three team series undefeated

The other story of this series was Nepal fielding Sandeep Lamichhane who is basically Nepal's answer to David Goodwillie 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sandeep-lamichhane-selected-by-nepal-for-scotland-namibia-tri-series-despite-being-on-bail-1358323

• 2 months later...

Some orange walk has been given the go ahead before Dunfermlines gala, which is attracting plenty criticism.

I can't remember there being an orange march in Dunfermline before, although I'm sure there has been. I just hope the police have zero tolerance for sectarian language rather than the stand off approach they take in Glasgow.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Some orange walk has been given the go ahead before Dunfermlines gala, which is attracting plenty criticism.

I can't remember there being an orange march in Dunfermline before, although I'm sure there has been. I just hope the police have zero tolerance for sectarian language rather than the stand off approach they take in Glasgow.

Hopefully people stop giving these bigoted p***ks the attention they so desperately seek.

Probably the only exercise these fucking clowns get is to antagonise others.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

I looked that up for you

Technically it's the Apprentice Boys of Derry as opposed to the Orange order.  

My understanding is that they've got even less members in Scotland than the Orangemen so if they're going to have a significant parade they need to get themselves all it one place and they choose in a different town each year and you've drawn the short straw

On the plus side it means that the Fife branch will be off strolling around someone else's town for next years do

Whether having a few hundred of them wandering around your town once is better than a dozen or so of them annually is another question

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I looked that up for you

Technically it's the Apprentice Boys of Derry as opposed to the Orange order.  

My understanding is that they've got even less members in Scotland than the Orangemen so if they're going to have a significant parade they need to get themselves all it one place and they choose in a different town each year and you've drawn the short straw

On the plus side it means that the Fife branch will be off strolling around someone else's town for next years do

Whether having a few hundred of them wandering around your town once is better than a dozen or so of them annually is another question

I just assumed that was the name of their order, shame they can't serve their apprenticeship in Derry.

On 21/02/2023 at 04:09, Boo Khaki said:

This is a recurring theme across a number of sports. The examples of Coors Field (MLB baseball) and the old Mile High Stadium (NFL Football) are the most commonly discussed, and there seems to be no solid evidence whatsoever that altitude makes any difference to how far a baseball can be hit or an american football kicked. Coors Field is a notorious 'hitters' park and seen as a nightmare for pitchers, but that is also true of other stadia that are not at altitude. My personal feeling is that it's simply a quirk of the stadium itself, and more to do with layout, dimensions, and prevailing wind currents inside the stadium than it is thinner air.

The main difference of playing sports at altitude appears to be that teams who host games there regularly are better acclimated, and can far better cope with the effects of lower oxygen on human physiology. 

There’s plenty of evidence, but the two teams see similar impact, and in sports like baseball, without a standardized field size, are often tailored in ways that are designed to assist the home team.

“Altitude and weather affect air density, which in turn affects how far a batted baseball or softball travels. This paper shows that air density is inversely related to altitude, temperature and humidity, and is directly related to barometric pressure. Regression analysis is used to show the relative importance of each of the four factors (altitude, temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure) and to look for interactions between them. As shown by this model, on a typical July afternoon in a major league baseball stadium, altitude is easily the most important factor, explaining 80% of the variability. This is followed by temperature (13%), barometric pressure (4%) and relative humidity (3%). A simple linear algebraic equation presented in this paper predicts air density well. The model shows how the batted ball's range depends on both the drag force and the Magnus force (the force due to a spinning object moving in an airflow) and considers the relative importance of the drag and Magnus forces.”

-Effects of altitude and atmospheric conditions on the flight of a baseball (Bahill, Baldwin and Ramberg), 2009

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

What's the difference? 

As for as you or I are concerned, very little it would seem

To those that give a toss about these things it's probably huge

To be fair, The only two of them I've ever encountered seemed fine and ended up jamming with the Andalucian Flamenco artists who were also in the same pub producing one of the weirder folk fusion styles I've encountered

I suspect, however, that they might not be a representative sample, which would also explain why they weren't drinking with the rest of the marchers 

On 18/05/2023 at 15:28, Venti said:

Hopefully people stop giving these bigoted p***ks the attention they so desperately seek.

Probably the only exercise these fucking clowns get is to antagonise others.

Is this a quote from the Scottish Cricket investigation? 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

A friendly reminder to avoid Dunfermline today and if you are visiting the city centre it’s probably best not to wear anything Green!

Avoid?  No chance.

Yesterday was a fantastic day of pageantry.  No trouble, a great turnout from the locals and the sun was shining.

Well done to the ABOD.

25 minutes ago, DiscoStu said:

Avoid?  No chance.

Yesterday was a fantastic day of pageantry.  No trouble, a great turnout from the locals and the sun was shining.

Well done to the ABOD.

You're trying too hard Stormzy lad, sleekit & subtle is the way to go.

On 03/06/2023 at 09:28, Dunfermline Don said:

A friendly reminder to avoid Dunfermline today and if you are visiting the city centre it’s probably best not to wear anything Green!

I went for a wander round Halbeath trying to avoid them whilst making the most of the sun, sadly bumped into them on their way back to the busses. 

How they seriously dress up and wave banners and flags the way they do I'll have no idea. Plenty Sevconians about as well, all very odd.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether you're an Irishman of the orange or green sort today's a bad day for you 

Scotland just won the world cup qualifier in Harare with the very last ball of the game

Ireland were 286/8 and Scotland entered the final over on 279/8 as Leask faced the final ball he needed a single to tie the game but an inside edge to the boundary means that Scotland take the glory in the most dramatic of manners

James Nesbitt, Gabriel Byrne, Graeme Norton, Terry Wogan, The Nolan Sisters, Ian Paisley, Gerry Adams, Jimmy Cricket, Oscar bloody Wilde your boys took one hell of a beating, Dana! can you hear me Dana etc...

On 18/05/2023 at 18:06, HoBNob said:

What's the difference? 

One started out in Dan Winter's cottage in Loughgall during the 1798 Rebellion and the other commemorates the actions of the 13 apprentice boys who closed the gates at the start of the second siege of Londonderry in 1689.

One is steeped in the Anglican Ascendancy in terms of its origins, while the other was more about opposition to the Jacobite claimants to the thrones of the three kingdoms, who interestingly in a Scottish context often tended to be supported by Episcopalians (i.e. Anglicans) as well as Roman Catholics. On the flip side of that over in Ulster, many/most Presbyterians actually sided with the 1798 Rebellion against the Anglican Ascendancy.

In a Scottish context it would be a bit like having different groups for parades about the Wars of Independence and the Covenanters or something like that, but the Orange Order eventually latched onto the Battle of the Boyne as their big thing so I guess that sort of parallel isn't exact.

Interesting how people seem to know so little about what they are able to work up such intense hatred for. One reason that the ABoD is smaller is because you actually have to go to Londonderry to join.