Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Belfast will be bouncing this weekend after Ireland wrapped up the ODI Series against Zimbabwe with a game to spare at Stormont

It went down to the wire The visitors took it to the last ball but were only able to get a single when they needed a 6

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Belfast will be bouncing this weekend after Ireland wrapped up the ODI Series against Zimbabwe with a game to spare at Stormont

It went down to the wire The visitors took it to the last ball but were only able to get a single when they needed a 6

Sincere Q here TC.  Is the Irish cricket team a whole-island side like the rugby team?

Asking for a friend...

Guest Moomintroll
Sincere Q here TC.  Is the Irish cricket team a whole-island side like the rugby team?
Asking for a friend...
To answer your question Kincy, yes.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:
Asking for a friend...

To answer your question Kincy, yes.

Thanks Moomsy.  I fucked up my original question.  I really should have asked, keeping to the theme:

Is the Irish cricket team a whole-island organisation like the rugby team and the Orange Order?

That a goading point I'll never get back.

Guest Moomintroll
Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks Moomsy.  I fucked up my original question.  I really should have asked, keeping to the theme:

Is the Irish cricket team a whole-island organisation like the rugby team and the Orange Order?

No worries thought I should help out after I hijacked your thread the other day.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Watch the documentary on BT Sport - "Shoulder To Shoulder" where all is revealed how it evolved.

Asking for a friend...

Yes

Strangely Ireland has 5 provinces for cricket purposes as opposed to the conventional four . Ulster is effectively split between the “North“ (Basically Belfast and thereabouts) and the “North West” (Foyle Valley and Donegal)

But there aren’t many clubs at all in Connaught or Munster

https://www.cricketireland.ie/about/provincial-unions

I inadvertently posted this in the "Sectarian" thread within the Fran & Anna section.  

I believe the circus was coming to Glasgow city centre today. Any photos of the multi-coloured, ill-fitting clown outfits on display ??

This, I believe, is the correct place for the post.

6 hours ago, hearthammer said:

I inadvertently posted this in the "Sectarian" thread within the Fran & Anna section.  

I believe the circus was coming to Glasgow city centre today. Any photos of the multi-coloured, ill-fitting clown outfits on display ??

This, I believe, is the correct place for the post.

When I was in loyal orders in Scotland the Glasgow walk was always the jewel in the crown.  This makes sense.  Although Edinburgh was the city of John Knox and, along with Rotterdam, Zurich and Geneva, kept the fire of the Reformation burning it was the Presbyterian city of Glasgow who gave short-shrift to the Polish-Italian fop and his ragtag army en route to their nadir at Culloden.

Good to see the lads and lassies celebrating shared sovereignty with our big southern pals since 1603 and the rule of parliament over the crown since 1707 in such a tuneful and colourful manner.

Edited by The_Kincardine

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

When I was in loyal orders in Scotland the Glasgow walk was always the jewel in the crown.  This makes sense.  Although Edinburgh was the city of John Knox and, along with Rotterdam, Zurich and Geneva, kept the fire of the Reformation burning it was the Presbyterian city of Glasgow who gave short-shrift to the Polish-Italian fop and his ragtag army en route to their nadir at Culloden.

Good to see the lads and lassies celebrating shared sovereignty with our big southern pals since 1603 and the rule of parliament over the crown since 1707 in such a tuneful and colourful manner.

Struggling to see a wid.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Was also nice to see them honouring William Campbell in a tuneful and colourful way.*

*William Campbell, convicted UVF terrorist who orchestrated the Glasgow pub bombings of the 70s.  Same William Campbell, who's nephew murdered a 15 year old in a sectarian attack. 

Nice bunch... 

D-yDvwUX4AIw8De.jpeg

55 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Was also nice to see them honouring William Campbell in a tuneful and colourful way.*

Shame on you for hijacking the thread.  As the OP asked...post images from yesterday's celebration.

If you want a discussion about some trivial incident from the 70s then there are plenty of other threads to raise it.