Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

It was an officeholder answering a far out hypothetical question from a journalist about 15 or 20 years ago, rather than anything worth taking seriously. We just had a referendum with pretty much zero signs of any pro-Union paramilitarism after all. Have to hand it to the Orange Order they manage to get people to completely lose the plot year after year. Maybe they serve a useful purpose in that regard in helping the rest of us identify complete cranks that are best ignored, but personally I'd rather they just gave the whole 1690 thing a rest, so we could move to a genuinely secular society with no sky fairy nonsense creating unnecessary divides between people.

You mean the grand secretary of the orange order was actually talking a load of shit that made his organisation sound more significant than it actually is? Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Fucking hell what a lot of utter drivel and pish , when did the orange order ever suggest paramilitary action in the result of a yes vote

This. Try and not greet about it, forever_blue.

It was an officeholder answering a far out hypothetical question from a journalist about 15 or 20 years ago,

No, it wasn't. They had an embarrassing climb-down afterwards as well. It was most amusing.

Maybe you should read it again

I read it and if you take it seriously then you're a fool.

Have you seen the cut of most blokes in loyal orders in Scotland? They make me look young, fit, lithe and healthy. The Maquis they are not.

I'd reckon that their biggest act of sabotage would be to pencil a Hitler moustache on Wee Nicola's photo on the Daily Record before skedaddling on their mobility scooters.

I read it and if you take it seriously then you're a fool.

Have you seen the cut of most blokes in loyal orders in Scotland? They make me look young, fit, lithe and healthy. The Maquis they are not.

I'd reckon that their biggest act of sabotage would be to pencil a Hitler moustache on Wee Nicola's photo on the Daily Record before skedaddling on their mobility scooters.

I read it, too, (it's the first time I've seen it) and shook my head.

He'd have been better saying nothing as coming out with that scaremongering nonsense.

I doubt that the cleverest of editing and "misquoting" could have come up with that - a typical PR disaster from the Orange Order.

Maybe the high heid yins have learnt a wee bit about PR in the last 15 years - although sometimes I doubt it.

women-on-march_2274984k.jpg

It sad when you have to put 'lol' on your drapes to prove you are having fun.

I would have put on ROFL personally, but that's me.

Is the lass on the far left, Kelly Marie from River City?

That seems very different from the last Orange Walk I saw way back in Nineteen-canteen - back then it was just a band with some folk in Rangers taps dragging their knuckles along the pavements at the sides - can anybody just join in now ? Looks like all you need is a wee plastic Gala Day flag and you're off and walking!

All those folk so utterly wrapped up in something so utterly insignificant.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

It sad when you have to put 'lol' on your drapes to prove you are having fun.

I would have put on ROFL personally, but that's me.

Is the lass on the far left, Kelly Marie from River City?

Ask people "hands up who's an idiot and a fanny" and they'll just sit there, but ask them "who wants to go on an orange walk" and loads of people will go for it. It's the same question, though.

Is an orange person allowed to attend the funeral or wedding of a Catholic friend (in the albeit unlikely event that they had one)? I keep hearing the orange order claim their organisation stands for religious freedom and tolerance. Surely they wouldn't have a rule against this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14920403

Two Ulster Unionists, including the leader Tom Elliot, are to face disciplinary proceedings by the Orange Order for going to the Catholic funeral of murdered policeman Ronan Kerr.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14939940

The "Qualifications of an Orangeman" state that a member should "scrupulously avoid countenancing (by his presence or otherwise) any act or ceremony of Popish worship".
Edited by Enrico Annoni