Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

The seethe continues. Ruth Dudley Edwards' book, The Faithful Tribe, seemed to go down quite well amongst some of them despite being written by a woman from Dublin from an irish Nationalist background:

http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Tribe-The-Loyal-Institutions/dp/0002558637

Think that book could be viewed as an attempt at intelligent discussion of Orangeism.

Not a lot of point following up the LOL related posts, because I seriously doubt that most of the people spewing bile about that particular organisation are actually interested in intelligent discussion of the topic as opposed to an exchange of tribalistic insults. If anyone is interested in how the UK's Glorious Revolution related constitution shapes its modern politics and culture in a way that makes it markedly different from most other western countries (the LOL is just one manifestation of that) I'd recommend the writings of Tom Nairn as being worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nairn

Funnily enough I've studied constitutional law and already know a great deal about the Glorious Revolution and can see that it was largely a good thing (for everyone apart from Irish Catholics at least), and yet I haven't started a single triumphalist sectarian organization.

Edited by The OP

The seethe continues. Ruth Dudley Edwards' book, The Faithful Tribe, seemed to go down quite well amongst some of them despite being written by a woman from Dublin from an irish Nationalist background:

Think that book could be viewed as an attempt at intelligent discussion of Orangeism.

That's all well and good. Would you say, however, that an in-depth knowledge of the events leading up to and following the Glorious Revolution, and its impact on the UK Constitution, is known to a great extent by the majority of LOL members?

That's all well and good. Would you say, however, that an in-depth knowledge of the events leading up to and following the Glorious Revolution, and its impact on the UK Constitution, is known to a great extent by the majority of LOL members?

Not in my experience anyway. I've spent a lot of time researching Scottish constitutional and Covenanting literary history c. 1660-1689 and some of the arguments I've gotten into with OO members are a frightening indictment on their knowledge of the period. These are definite OO members, before anyone asks, the kind who post photos of their fun shenanigans in Belfast on Facebook. I once walked out the pub after being called a "Jacobite b*****d" whilst discussing the finer nuances of Charles II's viceroy set up in Scotland. Utterly abysmal levels of debate in my experience.

Do Northern Ireland have a cricket team?

You could say that they've currently effectively got two

The Northern Cricket Union covers Belfast and that end of NI. While the North Western Union is based around Londonderry/Derry and takes in a few places that are technically Connaught

This year the inaugural Irish provincial championship featured just the North, Northwest and Leinster which is one more pro team than Scotland or Holland can currently manage.

Belfast Tim and Jacks Grandad will be glad to know that the "Northern Knights" won the 2013 interprovinvial championship "Leinster Lightning" ran them close while the "Northwest Warriors" finished bottom

Funny enough one of the most popular places for cricket in Northern Ireland in the late 60's and early 70's was Falls Park, a friend of mine organised tournaments there many years ago in the summers, used to get very large numbers there too but think it was seen as a bit too British-y for the local politicians/hoods.

There still are lots of leagues here though, junior cricket is flourishing ,my son plays for our local team.

Think Egg Chasing is the same IIRC.

Weird they have some sports are deemed worthy of partition and some are not.

All part of life in a borderline failed state that's riven by sectarian, fairy in the sky conflict, I suppose.

Do you mean the Irish Republic?

Not a lot of point following up the LOL related posts, because I seriously doubt that most of the people spewing bile about that particular organisation are actually interested in intelligent discussion of the topic as opposed to an exchange of tribalistic insults. If anyone is interested in how the UK's Glorious Revolution related constitution shapes its modern politics and culture in a way that makes it markedly different from most other western countries (the LOL is just one manifestation of that) I'd recommend the writings of Tom Nairn as being worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nairn

Aye, I'm sure these guys are just fascinated by "how the UK's Glorious Revolution related constitution shapes its modern politics and culture".......give over.

BelfastRiotingJuly122013PA_large.jpg

I have it, and it is a very interesting piece indeed.

Of course, Dudley Edwards was dismissed as being too British by SF shortly after the book came out. They sure don't do irony, given her background.

George Galloway today submitted the following motions which should appear on the order paper tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.British soldiers and sectarianism That this House condemns the reprehensible and ill-disciplined behaviour of members of the Armed Forces including some Royal Marine soldiers at Ibrox Park, the home of Glasgow Rangers, on Saturday 28th September 2013 on what was dubbed an “armed forces' day”; notes the sickening scenes as they chanted songs attacking Catholics, embraced braying fans and held up sectarian banners; questions the role of the senior officers who apparently sanctioned the event and appeared to take no action to halt the behaviour; and demands that those marines who joined in this hatefest are severely disciplined.

George Galloway today submitted the following motions which should appear on the order paper tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.British soldiers and sectarianism That this House condemns the reprehensible and ill-disciplined behaviour of members of the Armed Forces including some Royal Marine soldiers at Ibrox Park, the home of Glasgow Rangers, on Saturday 28th September 2013 on what was dubbed an “armed forces' day”; notes the sickening scenes as they chanted songs attacking Catholics, embraced braying fans and held up sectarian banners; questions the role of the senior officers who apparently sanctioned the event and appeared to take no action to halt the behaviour; and demands that those marines who joined in this hatefest are severely disciplined.

Surely that'll be the end of these armed forces days at Ibrox now. Not a bad thing as they are crass and only fuel the notion that most of the soldiers are bigots.

Make up your mind, George. Are you a Muslim or a Cafflik? You can't be both.

Or can you?