Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

"The Order sees itself as defending Protestant civil and religious liberties" Took me two seconds to find that. If "protecting civil liberties" isn't political I'm a monkey's uncle. That's before you even get to the "protecting Protestantism" stuff.

So do you view the marches in Scotland as political?

Conclusive evidence that NI is a horrible backwards state. Speak out against certain people and you put your life at risk.

I've never denied that some parts/attitudes are terribly backward; my contention has always been that the Family Guy quoting dullard is horribly wrong to brand all of NI as backward. I will not be judged by the standards of murderers and bombers.

Try speaking out against Glasgow gangsters and you'll get exactly the same result, but that doesn't mean that the Weege is completely backward.

It's presumably much easier to not only sit back and live among terrorists, bigots and criminals, but to fund, provide safe houses and even vote for them in your diddy Parliament elections.

Why didn't the fine upstanding majority of Norn Irish people move?

I'm content to live in an economically prosperous nation that isn't scrounging off the state, thanks for playing anyway. At literally no round of top trumps would the failed statelet come even close to the standard of living in Scotland.

I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. What a ludicrous contention at the start? Just because people don't go to the police and say "I think that big bad man over there is a paramilitary" does not in any way constitute the harbouring of terrorists, or the funding them, but thanks for the bigoted/racist allegation anyway. I see you can't even refrain from the usual insults as well, like diddy parliament. It has the same status and powers as the Holyrood one but, then again, perhaps you're right?

As for voting for terrorists, you should take a break from frantically creaming yourself about being better/bigger/richer than Northern Ireland and try a wiki search to see that there are other parties out there, not that I would be much inclined to vote for any of them.

How exactly are people going about their day to day business supposed to find the money to just up sticks and leave? I did, as did many others throughout the troubles, but plenty are trapped by their socio-economic status. We don't all have the Croesus like wealth of the lucky denizens of the gold paved streets of Greenock you know.

Why are you so insecure that you have to keep reassuring yourself about Scotland being so big and prosperous. Aah, prosperous Scotland? It evokes thoughts of Sighthill, Royston, Niddrie, Royston, Ferguslie Park, Possil, Keppochhill and the likes. You know, drug addled areas where funerals are cheaper than the norm, because they eat their dead instead of burying them. Thanks for the game of Top Trumps.

I'd love to say "Thanks for playing", but then I'd sound like a dick too.

If by "research all those stats" you mean 'read a fully referenced Wikipedia page that took a single Google search to find' then yes.

Perhaps had any of your collective losers carried out some basic research before making claims on here, you wouldn't have made a complete fool of yourself.

Assuming that we've all looked at the same wikipedia page you should have spotted that the claim about Chinese being the second most popular language refers to Cantonese as being the second most popular "First Language".

In this context people comparing the numbers of people claiming to be able to speak Irish on a census form with the number of people of chinese ethnicity isn't helpful.

Firstly not everybody who looks Chinese can speak Chinese

Secondly not everybody who says they can speak a language is fluent in it never mind it being their first language

If we're to make a valid comparison between the two there has to be some minimum level of fluency attained by an individual for us to count them. And that will be a relatively arbitrary choice by the counter.

The Census data is entirely based on a subjective self judgement of the individuals own skills and as the census data points out "An ability to speak, read or write Irish does not imply an ability to understand Irish unless stated. Persons in these categories may or may not have the ability to understand Irish".

The one independently verified measure available of linguistic competence that is available though is A level passes

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/newsroom/press/2012/press_160812.asp

and these show Irish Language lagging behind Spanish and miles behind French which would mean that, using that definition, you were absolutely right to say that Chinese isn't second. and also right to say that Irish isn't third (It's fourth ahead of German)

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

I'm not a fan of them by any means I just wouldn't really say they are political marches thats all, I actually think that calling them political marches elevates it to a status it doesn't really deserve.

Well, that's the thing. There are mirrors at work - 100 years ago and more in Ireland there was an issue about home rule and supporters of the union played 'the Orange card' quite effectively. The Orange institutions are quite vocal about opposing independence for Scotland and breaking up the union.

That's not political?

Edited by Dr Koop

• 3 weeks later...

Police have confirmed they are investigating reports of a threat allegedly issued by a loyalist paramilitary group to Catholic schools in north Belfast.

A man claiming to be a representative of the Red Hand Defenders group contacted the Irish News on Friday to say “military action” would begin on Monday morning if the parents, pupils and staff of three Catholic schools in north Belfast did not take the threat seriously.The man is said to have made it clear parents, pupils and teachers are not welcome at the three schools which he added were in “Protestant, unionist and loyalist areas”.

Police have confirmed they are investigating reports of a threat allegedly issued by a loyalist paramilitary group to Catholic schools in north Belfast. A man claiming to be a representative of the Red Hand Defenders group contacted the Irish News on Friday to say “military action” would begin on Monday morning if the parents, pupils and staff of three Catholic schools in north Belfast did not take the threat seriously.The man is said to have made it clear parents, pupils and teachers are not welcome at the three schools which he added were in “Protestant, unionist and loyalist areas”.

I think we can all just assume that Loyalist Paramilitaries aren't very nice and leave it at that. :) .

Police have confirmed they are investigating reports of a threat allegedly issued by a loyalist paramilitary group to Catholic schools in north Belfast.A man claiming to be a representative of the Red Hand Defenders group contacted the Irish News on Friday to say “military action” would begin on Monday morning if the parents, pupils and staff of three Catholic schools in north Belfast did not take the threat seriously.The man is said to have made it clear parents, pupils and teachers are not welcome at the three schools which he added were in “Protestant, unionist and loyalist areas”.

Fair shout. If Protestants can't walk through catholic areas then Catholics shouldn't waltz into protestant areas. No matter what the reason is. Republicans in ulster are causing the division, no one else.

Fair shout. If Protestants can't walk through catholic areas then Catholics shouldn't waltz into protestant areas. No matter what the reason is. Republicans in ulster are causing the division, no one else.

The cause of the division is two sides of absolute spackers continually fighting over ancient ideas. Old attitudes that sadly are showing no sign of being wiped out with each generation.

I tend to use the BBC NI news for reports of back home, and the PSNI are usually pretty sharp when it comes to verifying the potential behind Loyalist and Republican threats. Their reaction to this odious little dick leads me to believe their was no recognised code word when the threat was phoned in, so I suspect it is some bigoted boozed/drugged up little ballbag trying to make himself feel big.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24011548

Either way, it is deplorable.