Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

6 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

I’m aware other faiths can study at catholic schools and also free to be excluded from any religious activities . Didn’t meant to come across as thinking that wasn’t the case at catholic schools on my post.

my point was basically that the church seems to be far more present and at times heavily involved at decision making within catholic schools than in modern non-denominational schools . Church presence in my school was practically zero apart from as I said the token Easter and Christmas assembly. From friends and colleagues who attended a catholic school they do state the church was far more involved and present in the school. 

The church also has a large say in the appointment of senior staff in RC schools.

It's perfectly possible, and indeed sensible, to disapprove of those who wish to participate in Orange Walks, while thinking that denominational state schools should have no place.

Indeed, you can be equally dismissive of those who wish to march in memory of hunger strikers, while actually being supportive of those who have a religious faith.

All of those stances can simultaneously be adopted without any need for contortion.

It's perfectly possible, and indeed sensible, to disapprove of those who wish to participate in Orange Walks, while thinking that denominational state schools should have no place.
Indeed, you can be equally dismissive of those who wish to march in memory of hunger strikers, while actually being supportive of those who have a religious faith.

All of those stances can simultaneously be adopted without any need for contortion.
Nah if you don't love the sash or support terrorists, you're ignorant and hate religion.

Absolutely no sky fairy clowns should have any part of our education system, every single one of these arseholes who have slimed their way into school buildings to try and recruit children into their horrific belief system needs kicked out.  

The fact the unelected fucks have got onto education boards is a pisstake that needs swift action.

42 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Absolutely no sky fairy clowns should have any part of our education system, every single one of these arseholes who have slimed their way into school buildings to try and recruit children into their horrific belief system needs kicked out.  

That's all rather silly.

An infantile deployment of language.

10 hours ago, Namond Brice said:

We already have laws to deal with public disorder and anti social behaviour.

Are you suggesting we introduce fresh legislation to specifically ban the OO from marching ?

9 hours ago, sophia said:

8 hours ago, Namond Brice said:

Lol.

I've stated that laws banning the OO and Republican marches would be used against others like BLM and you've just posted a link from the UK government that specifically mentions these new powers being used against BLM and Extinction Rebellion.

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill is absolutely something that should never be introduced in Scotland.

8 hours ago, sophia said:

I'll bid you good day

Saying "fair play" to Sophia accepting he's fucked it here you don't often see that on Pie and Bovril

I lived in Hebburn in South Tyneside for a number of years. I was very surprised to find a a Protestant Conservative Club there with some Orange Lodge attached. Just up the road was the Iona Club (the Catholic Club). Never saw or heard a vestige of sectarianism from any of the locals although, I suppose, the founders of these institutions originated from Ireland.

Apparently there was some 12th July celebration, but never heard or witnessed any marches. What I did hear and witness were the Juvenile Jazz Bands processing with their kazoos and making an infernal racket. I think these 'bands' have largely died out as a result of improvements in musical taste; if not, they should have been banned in my opinion.

I have a very good friend from West Belfast who tells me that, prior to 'The Troubles' he and his siblings would be brought to the Lisburn Road to watch the 12th marches, at a time when they could be passed off as colourful folk customs. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Saying "fair play" to Sophia accepting he's fucked it here you don't often see that on Pie and Bovril

I was simply pointing out that it is possible to legislate in a way that doesn't give the authorities carte blanche to apply it with all protesters.

But hey, don't let your antipathy towards me get in the way.

38 minutes ago, sophia said:

I was simply pointing out that it is possible to legislate in a way that doesn't give the authorities carte blanche to apply it with all protesters.

But hey, don't let your antipathy towards me get in the way.

Hang on, with both @NotThePars and you both being so cryptic on occasion, I thought he was on your side. Or am I getting whooshed again? 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hang on, with both @NotThePars and you both being so cryptic on occasion, I thought he was on your side. Or am I getting whooshed again? 

Perhaps we both have.

I'm too tired to interrogate so I'd just like to congratulate @NotThePars if they found my contribution to be helpful and if not I shall redouble my efforts to improve

2 hours ago, sophia said:

Perhaps we both have.

I'm too tired to interrogate so I'd just like to congratulate @NotThePars if they found my contribution to be helpful and if not I shall redouble my efforts to improve

Thank you. If you find yourself struggling, I like to set myself some Posting Goals for the month and try to look at posters who are regular Big Hitters for tips and tricks on good posting. You owe it yourself and the forum to always stay improving.

5 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I lived in Hebburn in South Tyneside for a number of years. I was very surprised to find a a Protestant Conservative Club there with some Orange Lodge attached. Just up the road was the Iona Club (the Catholic Club). Never saw or heard a vestige of sectarianism from any of the locals although, I suppose, the founders of these institutions originated from Ireland.

Apparently there was some 12th July celebration, but never heard or witnessed any marches. What I did hear and witness were the Juvenile Jazz Bands processing with their kazoos and making an infernal racket. I think these 'bands' have largely died out as a result of improvements in musical taste; if not, they should have been banned in my opinion.

I have a very good friend from West Belfast who tells me that, prior to 'The Troubles' he and his siblings would be brought to the Lisburn Road to watch the 12th marches, at a time when they could be passed off as colourful folk customs. 

It's almost like Scotland is out of step with other places where catholics and protestants co-exist. It moves me to wonder.... What could we possibly attribute the amplification of hostilities to........

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It's almost like Scotland is out of step with other places where catholics and protestants co-exist. It moves me to wonder.... What could we possibly attribute the amplification of hostilities to........

Orange walks

The real victims as always 

THE Grand Secretary of the Orange Order in Northern Ireland has urged Nicola Sturgeon not to introduce a Parades Commission - claiming it would be "biased" against Protestants.

Rev Mervyn Gibson, said the introduction of a commission in the mould of Northern Ireland would result in more “division” and “intolerance”.

He urged SNP ministers “not to dance to the tune of a small number of Roman Catholic protestors who don’t want a Protestant about the place”.

The First Minister said on Thursday that she was considering setting up a Northern-Ireland style commission following 14 arrests at Orange walks last weekend.

James Dornan (below), the SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, raised the issue at FMQsand outlined his case in an article for The National on Sunday.

Speaking at Holyrood, Dornan noted reports of “disgraceful anti-Catholic singing during the Orange Order marches throughout Glasgow” and said at least three had marched past Roman Catholic churches, causing “great distress”.

He asked the First Minister to consider “the creation of a Parades Commission, similar to that in Northern Ireland”.

Set up in 1998, that Parades Commission has the power to cancel, re-route or amend marches, including by barring the playing of music or the banning of certain individuals from attending.

Sturgeon said she has instructed Justice Secretary Keith Brown to assess the merits of the proposal.

But Gibson told the Belfast News Letter a Scottish Commission would be biased and counterproductive, and using hate crime legislation would be fairer.

He said: “We think it would be a bad idea. It sustains division and here it used to reward the threat of violence.

“Parading by-and-large is a cultural activity of the Protestant community, thereby any body created to look at parades by extension has a bias against that community.

“Whereas hate crime legislation applies to all intolerance and bigotry, irrespective of race, creed or gender. We believe there’s enough laws to do with antisocial and hate crime.

“A Parades Commission only introduces another layer of unnecessary and unhelpful bureaucracy that encourages intolerance.”

Writing for The National, Dornan said: “Most of us will remember the annual battles at the Garvaghy Road and other places throughout Northern Ireland, so why don't we see this on our screens every year anymore? Because, not without some initial pain to be sure, they introduced a Parades Commission.

“I'm not saying this is a magic bullet; what I am saying is that it's worth looking at calmly. Moreover, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would fear it. Let's be clear here, in a democracy, people have the right to assembly and free speech.

“However, places of worship and other important places also have the right to be respected.”

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
There has to be room for compromise. Encourage them to focus more on the “walk” part and less on the “orange” part. 

Money off vouchers for treadmills?

The treadmills could play a selection of their favourite party/march tunes as they use them. 

15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There has to be room for compromise. Encourage them to focus more on the “walk” part and less on the “orange” part. 

Like this idea. Make them march up a munro and they'll have not have the lungs to indulge the classic songs that go along with them. 

• 3 weeks later...

More importantly the T20 world cup has started

Scotland and Ireland have to fight their way past some other middleweights in the preliminary rounds to get a shot at the big guns but we're off to a good start with a narrow victory against Bangladesh which the BBC had the nerve to describe as a "shock". Papua New Guinea and Oman stand between us and the group stage proper and with the top two going through there may be a margin for error.

Over in the other preliminary group it looks like a good day for green and a bad day for orange as Ireland are making quick work of chasing down the Netherlands 106. With all due respect to Namibia it's Sri Lanka who will be the bigger obstacle for the Irish