Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

2 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Bro. K, always wondered why it’s Derry and not the Apprentice Boys of Londonderry?

Derry Bhoys sounds a bit iffy.

I think it's us, 'having our cake and eating it'?  No?  'They' hate us 'guarding old Derry's walls' and they hate us calling the town 'Londonderry'.

I see it as a win-win wind-up.  No?

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think it's us, 'having our cake and eating it'?  No?  'They' hate us 'guarding old Derry's walls' and they hate us calling the town 'Londonderry'.

I see it as a win-win wind-up.  No?

Asked the chap when i did the tour of the “Mem” but guy just laughed.

The cricket/marching season off to an early start up this way. No surrender right enuff.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/group-plans-march-in-inverness-city-centre-this-weekend-176424/

Why do we have apprentices from Derry marching in Scotland, they want to march in reference to Ireland they should f**k off and march there.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why do we have apprentices from Derry marching in Scotland, they want to march in reference to Ireland they should f**k off and march there.

There's yer flaw right there.  The gates of Londonderry were closed on behalf of those of us in Britain who respect parliamentary sovereignty over the caprice of Monarchical tyranny.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There's yer flaw right there.  The gates of Londonderry were closed on behalf of those of us in Britain who respect parliamentary sovereignty over the caprice of Monarchical tyranny.

You win some you lose some. The Stuarts were dodgy so i’d take hunting them as a win in the big scheme of things though the gap between 1689/1690 season and Joe Bloggs getting the vote 200 plus years later was a bit of a wait. Would have took a Napoleonic win a Century later to move things a bit quicker politically.

3 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

You win some you lose some. The Stuarts were dodgy so i’d take hunting them as a win in the big scheme of things though the gap between 1689/1690 season and Joe Bloggs getting the vote 200 plus years later was a bit of a wait. Would have took a Napoleonic win a Century later to move things a bit quicker politically.

I accept that, in terms of enfranchisement, Britain was in stasis from 1688 but supporting the Napoleon/French revolution robs me of my best line that we Brits are the very best Europeans as we rid mainland Europe of tyranny by dint of national heroes such as Nelson and The Irish Duke.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I accept that, in terms of enfranchisement, Britain was in stasis from 1688 but supporting the Napoleon/French revolution robs me of my best line that we Brits are the very best Europeans as we rid mainland Europe of tyranny by dint of national heroes such as Nelson and The Irish Duke.

And the aftermath of that story is still being played out at the present time.

Edited by Glenconner

Just now, Glenconner said:

And the aftermath of that story is still being played out at the present time.

Indeed.  It's actually one reason why I am so adamant that we keep close ties with the EU and why I despise the Balkanisation of Britain:  We have too much shared history to bow to the petty-minded.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  It's actually one reason why I am so adamant that we keep close ties with the EU and why I despise the Balkanisation of Britain:  We have too much shared history to bow to the petty-minded.

No doubt these stories will still be around long after the curtains close on us. There will be twists and turns and no doubt combinations of various unions still to be played out. Certainly bemused by how it’s turned out so far. Still trying to work out what became of Kilroy Silk.

Afghanistan and Sri Lanka come to Edinburgh for two ODI’s each next month as they prepare for the World Cup

There don’t seem to be any other international visitors lined up yet. Presumably because everyone else will be in England. I suspect we might see some other associates arriving here later. Probably the Netherlands

Irish readers of this thread will already be looking forward to their historic test match at Lords starting on the 27th July but if you’re in Northern Ireland around the 12th of July weekend then you’ll be able to catch some T20 action against Zimbabwe

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

The bigots have cancelled their walk, because they're not allowed to march past the catholic church where a priest was verbally and physically assaulted.  

They really are to a man, scum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47986670

Ah but they are marching for parliamentary democracy. A priest being spat on is merely collateral damage...

Well since I would need to drink copious amounts to watch a cricket match, yet I could happily watch a football match sober, I suppose it's fair enough. 

A 5 day test match where a draw looks inevitable after day two would test the sobriety of an Iman never mind a cardinal

You might just manage to stay sober through a T20 though

But why should you

• 1 month later...