Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Dawkins argument in that clip and in his book is that having separate schools is a big part of the problem, and that children should be taught to think rationally rather than being indocrinated into faith based belief systems .

Much as I have no interest in religion or religious schools, if a church or group of parents want to make a religious school then I guess that's fine, as long as they meet the required standards.  What I do object to is state funded religious schools. 

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

There are Orange Walks in places like Australia and Canada.
Are they also filled with bigoted, obese monstrosities? Or is that limited to Scotland?

The 'parade' in Toronto usually consists of no more than 200 Fraser Aird types and is no longer allowed down Yonge Street, the main street in the city. It's dwarfed by the annual Pride, St Patrick's Day and Carabana parades. It used to be the Orangemen ran all levels of government in York/Toronto, which led to many Catholics, Jews and first nations people joining the lodge to further their political and professional careers. There is even a Mohawk Orange Lodge, I'm sure the staunchest members  in the UK would spew into their wee white gloves at the thought. 

It thankfully seems to be dying out here

Edited by Torpar

3 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

Why does this thread discuss the quiet sport of cricket and the ‘debate’ causing orange walks?

I've asked that question before but can't remember the answer. Maybe they both have a propensity for bowlers (hats or balls). 

On 11/07/2018 at 08:13, Cerberus said:

There are Orange Walks in places like Australia and Canada.
Are they also filled with bigoted, obese monstrosities? Or is that limited to Scotland?

Been in Australia 29 years and never seen or heard of an orange walk.

Although cricket is quite popular

Currently on holiday in Spain, and with some Spanish friends watching coverage of the annual "Running of the bulls" festival in Pamplona. This invariably results in deaths and/or many serious injuries.

Asked by my Spanish friends if we have anything similar in Scotland, I reply that we have Orange walks to endure - and these certainly aren't for those of a nervous disposition.

19 hours ago, Torpar said:

The 'parade' in Toronto usually consists of no more than 200 Fraser Aird types and is no longer allowed down Yonge Street, the main street in the city. It's dwarfed by the annual Pride, St Patrick's Day and Carabana parades. It used to be the Orangemen ran all levels of government in York/Toronto, which led to many Catholics, Jews and first nations people joining the lodge to further their political and professional careers. There is even a Mohawk Orange Lodge, I'm sure the staunchest members  in the UK would spew into their wee white gloves at the thought. 

It thankfully seems to be dying out here

I recently discovered there is an Orange Lodge close to my house, although I have never seen any evidence of  an Orange walk taking place, presumably because they can't get a permit (we love permits up here in beurocracyville).  Interestingly (and amusingly) the lodge building has the letters L.O.L etched into the brickwork.

Edited by senorsoupe

4 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I never heard of orange walks at all growing up in Caithness, and folk think we were backward up there?

I did a bit of research into the religious demographics of Scotland. In areas where presbyterianism is still strong (Highlands, Angus, Aberdeenshire etc) there is no Orange activity. Only areas where there are significant Roman Catholic communities would appear to still have these marches taking place. Dundee, Fort William and the Western Isles seem to be exceptions to the rule...      

I did a bit of research into the religious demographics of Scotland. In areas where presbyterianism is still strong (Highlands, Angus, Aberdeenshire etc) there is no Orange activity. Only areas where there are significant Roman Catholic communities would appear to still have these marches taking place. Dundee, Fort William and the Western Isles seem to be exceptions to the rule...      

Hardly surprising

Roman Catholicism and Orangism in Scotland are both products of Irish immigration that was concentrated in the same areas

Disclaimer: yes this is a bit of an oversimplification

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hardly surprising

Roman Catholicism and Orangism in Scotland are both products of Irish immigration that was concentrated in the same areas

Orangism is a form of racism as a reaction to people of a different religion/ culture entering their communities then... 

Edited by Angusfifer

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I meant that it came over with Irish immigrants

Just the other sort of Irish immigrants

Not convinced about that. I don't think immigrants were wholly responsible for the anti-Catholic sentiment that still exists today...  

Sure Tom Devine has a quote along the lines of that in the late 18th century there were 30-odd catholics in Glasgow and 40-odd anti/catholic organisations. So dunno if it’s entirely correct to blame the OO’s enduring presence solely on the Ulster Scots.