Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

A storm in a tea cup to be honest. I don't imagine it will break the bank of the teams involved. It may of course bring in a few pounds with fans adding name, number and badges etc. Certainly if the price of this is the difference between a club staying in business or not then times really are hard.

They could also stick them on e-bay like a number of lower league clubs do in England at the end of the season. I'm sure they would make their money back.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understandable that Queen of the South fans generally oppose change - given the fanbase is already trapped in the 1950s with their pointless rattles.

Colour me surprised that within a week of dissolving the useless diddy organisation that was the SFL, clubs are already taking small steps to bring the product into the 21st Century.

About three or four Queens fans take rattles to games, so it's odd to base your view of an entire fanbase on this.

Nobody who calls football 'the product' deserves to live, let alone be listened to.

About three or four Queens fans take rattles to games, so it's odd to base your view of an entire fanbase on this.

Categorically false. Cappielow has to listen to your utter shite, 1950s racket all too often.

Nobody who calls football 'the product' deserves to live, let alone be listened to.

Yep, we'd all be better off having a yokel farmer at the helm, playing 2-3-5 and letting whippets on the pitch at half-time too.

Yep, we'd all be better off having a yokel farmer at the helm, playing 2-3-5 and letting whippets on the pitch at half-time too.

What an odd thing to say.

Still smarting from that 'literacy' hiding you took the other day, I'd imagine.

While I don't really have a great liking for squad numbers - it's a pretty minor issue and this and many other harmonisation issues were all more or less agreed during the various iterations of the rules that went back and forward between the SFL and SPL as negotiations went on over a number of months. The rules/articles of association were circulated for feedback to all the clubs and lots of alterations were made. All the stuff about club licensing, ground criteria, etc was examined and a broad consensus reached.

A storm in a tea cup to be honest. I don't imagine it will break the bank of the teams involved. It may of course bring in a few pounds with fans adding name, number and badges etc. Certainly if the price of this is the difference between a club staying in business or not then times really are hard.

They could also stick them on e-bay like a number of lower league clubs do in England at the end of the season. I'm sure they would make their money back.

Raith Rovers supporters sponsor the players shirts and receive them at the end of the season, this could spice things up a bit.

The packs of numbers, letters and sleeve patches from Sporting iD are actually not that expensive so as mentioned it wont mean the clubs are that much out of pocket.

You will more than pay for it by then selling them in the club shops to fans/kids on the back of replica shirts or whatever else they want it on, training wear, retro wear etc.

You'll need a proper press to put them on right though. I can imagine the efforts of some volunteer club shop helpers might render a few shirts as seconds.

Apart from fans at the games who's going to notice the difference? Media coverage would be as well coming out my japs eye with the coverage the lower leagues get. Once rangers are back in the top flight it will go back to the way it was.

We also sell the area above the numbers on ours.

Maybe one of the many reasons Scottish football doesn't have any media coverage is its old fashioned approach to these things? I was talking about English football earlier; the main reason the Premier League is seen by many as the best league in the world is because they call it the best league in the world. It's not about facts, it's about perception.

Marketing, man.

I was talking about English football earlier; the main reason the Premier League is seen by many as the best league in the world is because they call it the best league in the world. It's not about facts, it's about perception.

Marketing, man.

You're right.

I'd rather not play such a shallow, stupid game though.

Maybe one of the many reasons Scottish football doesn't have any media coverage is its old fashioned approach to these things? I was talking about English football earlier; the main reason the Premier League is seen by many as the best league in the world is because they call it the best league in the world. It's not about facts, it's about perception.

Marketing, man.

Aye. Names on the back will see media coverage sky rocket. When the product continues to deteriorate who cares. We have names on our strips. I'm sure those who are desperate to know who Montrose's number 7 is this weekend will be happy.

Understandable that Queen of the South fans generally oppose change - given the fanbase is already trapped in the 1950s with their pointless rattles.

I'm not a fan of the rattle myself, although I thought you would be a big fan of being trapped in the past given your passion for ancient history. ;)

Clubs will be charged for all this. And charged for applying them. It's not as simple as you are trying, and failing, to make it.

Again. Clubs will be charged to print all of the replica stuff. As it won't be large bulk orders the costs won't be nominal as orders will be extremely small. Clubs will not have the facility to print in house.

I'm not actually failing at anything as having had to deal with the process the last couple of years I know how the process works for the clubs.

Your right, all clubs will be charged for the packs, as they are now, and it's not that expensive as the SFL "did" and the SPFL "will" order in sufficient quantities to make it very affordable for the member clubs.

Most of the larger clubs have in-house shirt presses as that's how they apply the team kit now. They can be used for retail, which they are at Falkirk.

Some of the smaller clubs may use a local firm with such a heat press however id wager most have their own machines, as a for instance smaller teams such as Stenhousemuir and Queens Park do.

The SFL/Sporting iD don't print anything for the member clubs it's all done by each clubs Kitman or club shop staff.

The facts are the only downside to this new initiative is that Kitmen will have to use more shirts than ever before as each player will require a minimum of 2 per home/away/3rd.

We sell the space above the number to a sponsor. I assume that will be moved under the number now. Our shirts will be an utter eye rape.

With the shirts being on sale in the shop TM I don't see any sponsor now being moved.

It hasn't really posed a problem or an eye sore previously as when in the SPL we had back of the shirt sponsors.

2007-2010 - Land-Drill.com

2010-Relegation - Clark Erikkson

Well, there is a simple solution to that then!

Honestly, this is such a minor issue. They get their fair share of abuse and rightly so but this is a good call.

It is minor but this clamour to market a product reeks of such wannabe inferiority.

If I wanted my football to be some glossy package, I'd stick to the cool stuff on the telly.

I'm not actually failing at anything as having had to deal with the process the last couple of years I know how the process works for the clubs.

Your right, all clubs will be charged for the packs, as they are now, and it's not that expensive as the SFL "did" and the SPFL "will" order in sufficient quantities to make it very affordable for the member clubs.

Most of the larger clubs have in-house shirt presses as that's how they apply the team kit now. They can be used for retail, which they are at Falkirk.

Some of the smaller clubs may use a local firm with such a heat press however id wager most have their own machines, as a for instance smaller teams such as Stenhousemuir and Queens Park do.

The SFL/Sporting iD don't print anything for the member clubs it's all done by each clubs Kitman or club shop staff.

The facts are the only downside to this new initiative is that Kitmen will have to use more shirts than ever before as each player will require a minimum of 2 per home/away/3rd.

Can't be bothered replying to everything but there's no way most clubs in the SFL have their own printing machine. It makes absolutely no difference so there's no need to come out and lie.

With the shirts being on sale in the shop TM I don't see any sponsor now being moved.

It hasn't really posed a problem or an eye sore previously as when in the SPL we had back of the shirt sponsors.

2007-2010 - Land-Drill.com

2010-Relegation - Clark Erikkson

Personal opinion. I think it's a mess. The new shirt is a mess and this will add to the eye rape.

Archived