Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falkirk are now using squad numbers only, no names.

I like this half-way house myself.

It's got some of the exotic allure of World Cups when I was a kid. I want certain teams to number their squad alphabetically, a practice that saw Argentina midfielder Ossie Ardiles playing as number 1 during the 1982 World Cup.

I like this half-way house myself.

It's got some of the exotic allure of World Cups when I was a kid. I want certain teams to number their squad alphabetically, a practice that saw Argentina midfielder Ossie Ardiles playing as number 1 during the 1982 World Cup.

This is all fair and well until a team signs a chap called Aardvark, then do you number him 0?

It will fall into masonary numbering aka the Ayrshire lodges 0, 00 etc

The rovers have new names and numbers on the home kit. But we kept last years away kit and have been playing in it preseason with the old numbers no names and irn bru patches on the sleeves. The whole thing is totally half arsed they should have left it until next season.

The rovers have new names and numbers on the home kit. But we kept last years away kit and have been playing in it preseason with the old numbers no names and irn bru patches on the sleeves. The whole thing is totally half arsed they should have left it until next season.

I think players should be allowed to use their existing names. Giving them new ones is totally ridiculous. What will their parents think of this?

Can't believe all the negativity to this. I used to spend the first 10-15 minutes of a match trying to work out who was who on the opposition team and remember their names. This will make things so much better and enjoyable. I'll be able to watch the football rather than the teamsheet for the opening periods of matches now.

Ice hockey teams in Scotland have had names on the back of jersey for years and years and there's never been any fuss about the cost of it before. Edinburgh Capitals, for example, will struggle to get above 500 fans during midweek matches and 900 on weekends, yet there's not even a mention of the cost of printing names. People will sponsor the players and win their shirt at the end of the season, just as normal.

This isn't going to cause clubs to go out of business for goodness sake.

At the end of giving us a comprehensive rogering this afternoon, Cowden replaced their right back. Sub was Number 28 (according to the tannoy), but he came to the touchline shirtless, and the man he was replacing had to peel his sweatsoaked Number 2 shirt off and hand it to his replacement, who took to the field wearing Number 2 (therefore also his predecessor's name).

Anyone Cowden fans know the story behind this odd occurence?

At the end of giving us a comprehensive rogering this afternoon, Cowden replaced their right back. Sub was Number 28 (according to the tannoy), but he came to the touchline shirtless, and the man he was replacing had to peel his sweatsoaked Number 2 shirt off and hand it to his replacement, who took to the field wearing Number 2 (therefore also his predecessor's name).

Anyone Cowden fans know the story behind this odd occurence?

Due to injuries and suspensions Liam Dunn would have been put on the bench at the last minute I would imagine as Thomas O'Brien failed a late fitness test due to a neck injury.

As he wouldn't have been expected to be in the team we mustn't have had a strip made up with his squad number and name. Grant Adam was only signed on Thursday night and we had the kit ready for him so Liam must have been a real last minute addition to the squad.

Edited to add

When I seen this happening I had a feeling you would be asking that question.

Due to injuries and suspensions Liam Dunn would have been put on the bench at the last minute I would imagine as Thomas O'Brien failed a late fitness test due to a neck injury.

As he wouldn't have been expected to be in the team we mustn't have had a strip made up with his squad number and name. Grant Adam was only signed on Thursday night and we had the kit ready for him so Liam must have been a real last minute addition to the squad.

Edited to add

So you guys were unaware all week that he may be playing?, even so you could have pulled a blank top out of the club shop for him to wear. Surprised you don't have a couple of blank tops lying around anyway, you see players put blank tops on quite often when they need to change as they've got blood on it or something,

So you guys were unaware all week that he may be playing?, even so you could have pulled a blank top out of the club shop for him to wear. Surprised you don't have a couple of blank tops lying around anyway, you see players put blank tops on quite often when they need to change as they've got blood on it or something,

I'm not the kit man I just saying what I think may have happened. He's a 16 year old who obviously wasn't expected to play as I said Grant Adam was signed on Thursday night and he was all kitted up with the name and number on his shirt.

Edited to add

No idea why they didn't have a blank top with them I would have expected for them to carry a few.

I'm not the kit man I just saying what I think may have happened. He's a 16 year old who obviously wasn't expected to play as I said Grant Adam was signed on Thursday night and he was all kitted up with the name and number on his shirt.

Don't you know, as a fan you are responsible for everything your club and fans of your club do?

Could at least given him one of your under 19s tops, or have they got season old tops like a lot of clubs do.?

Or even one of the unused subs tops. Ok. Still wrong name / number but your not forcing your player to wear a sweaty top, just seems unfair on the lad.

Falkirk's list taken from yesterdays match, the list excludes quite a few young boys who still need to be allocated numbers:

1. Michael McGovern (GK)

2. Kieran Duffie

3. Stephen Kingsley

4. Olumide Durojaiye

5. Johnny Flynn

6. Will Vaulks

7. Jay Fulton

8. Blair Alston

9. Phil Roberts

10. Craig Sibbald

11. Conor McGrandles

12. Graham Bowman (GK)

14. Ryan McGeever

15. Liam Dick

16. Thomas Grant

19. Luke Leahy

22. Kyle Turnbull

28. Michael Martin

30. Botti Bia-Bi

33. Rory Loy

Is it likely that a board will come up to show added time or not this season? I am an insane time keeper so would really appreciate it.

No.

It's not a daft question - if we're getting squad numbers, then why not give us fourth officials as well?

I don't think it's likely, not least because it means paying for an extra five referees each week, but I don't think you can instantly dismiss the idea either. We'll find out tomorrow or Tuesday when the referee appointments are published.

Edited to add

Understand the 'forgot the blank shirt' bit as it makes sense, however, my confusion is much why he had to use his teammate's (perspiration-soaked) shirt - not another substitute's, or for that matter O'Brien's?

Understand the 'forgot the blank shirt' bit as it makes sense, however, my confusion is much why he had to use his teammate's (perspiration-soaked) shirt - not another substitute's, or for that matter O'Brien's?

Don't honestly know HJ he could have worn Nicholson's jersey as he didn't come on. I will ask around and find out for you.

Archived