Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a case of being seduced. It's a small thing that won't cost much and makes the league look more professional. Whether you like it or not, it does help the perception of the "brand" Anything that can boost the profile of the Scottish leagues is welcome. I'm really struggling to see the negatives of such a move tbh.

We should be looking to be innovative though and trying different things as well. Never going to compete with English football and any attempt to do so with bring about unwelcome comparisons.

I doubt anyone outside the SFL knows or cares whether there names on the back. It's not even remotely innovative.

It's not a case of being seduced. It's a small thing that won't cost much and makes the league look more professional. Whether you like it or not, it does help the perception of the "brand" Anything that can boost the profile of the Scottish leagues is welcome. I'm really struggling to see the negatives of such a move tbh.

We should be looking to be innovative though and trying different things as well. Never going to compete with English football and any attempt to do so with bring about unwelcome comparisons.

It's not a huge change. It might cost clubs a few quid they'd rather keep though.

How the Hell does it boost the league's profile? Seriously, how does it?

You contradict yourself by prattling about the "brand", before accepting we should stop trying to measure ourselves against what happens in England. There aren't positives to this in any meaningful way.

Any supposed extra cost will be fairly minimal, I should think.

It'll look good and little things like this (yes, it is just a little thing) improve the overall image of the division.

Bit it does draw comparisons. From the new division name to the feeble mimicking by putting names on shirts. It draws comparisons, and not favourably.

Still waiting on the positives.

It will cost the teams in prininting. It will cost the teams quite a lot of extra shirts. It will cost teams quite a lot of time.

Positives? Arsehole players can try and brand themselves with zany names on their strips.

I look forward to spelling mistakes in players names.

Oh no, this is the future! It'll be called The championship and everything. If you half shut your eyes and play some recorded crowd noise it'll be just like the real thing.

Partick Thistle tried this last season IIRC.

Back on topic, I hope Cockwomble stops clubs from 'retiring' the number of a popular player, this may be the sentimental norm for our colonial cousins, but there are better ways to acknowledge players.

Follow Grant Russell on twitter and he's tweeted that the SPFL have asked the first division clubs to allocate numbers to players for this season.

Wonder what the reason for this being, simply for the play offs at the end of the season? Maybe some 1st Division games being televised?

Get the names on the back of the shirts like the lower league down south!

talk about nero fiddling while rome burns.

what a pileof utter w**k

The packs of numbers, letters and sleeve patches from Sporting iD are actually not that expensive so as mentioned it wont mean the clubs are that much out of pocket.

You will more than pay for it by then selling them in the club shops to fans/kids on the back of replica shirts or whatever else they want it on, training wear, retro wear etc.

Dead against this. There are no positives to it. Nothing wrong with the good old fashioned 1-11. All this does is put clubs to a lot of additional expense for very little point.

If the numbskull who thought this idea up can't see that there are far more important things that need sorting out then he is clearly in the wrong job, and should be removed from post immediately. It beggars belief that at a time when the game is dying on it's backside and people are deserting in droves; they can't come up with anything better than that!

The packs of numbers, letters and sleeve patches from Sporting iD are actually not that expensive so as mentioned it wont mean the clubs are that much out of pocket.

You will more than pay for it by then selling them in the club shops to fans/kids on the back of replica shirts or whatever else they want it on, training wear, retro wear etc.

Clubs will be charged for all this. And charged for applying them. It's not as simple as you are trying, and failing, to make it.

Again. Clubs will be charged to print all of the replica stuff. As it won't be large bulk orders the costs won't be nominal as orders will be extremely small. Clubs will not have the facility to print in house.

It makes the league look better cosmetically. If your product looks better then people are more likely to buy it. I know I think it looks pretty amateurish to see guys running around with no name on the back of their shirt.

Also, the clubs will have agreed to this when they signed up for the merger/takeover. Obviously they don't see it as an unnecessary expense.

Can't understand this.

Some clubs have three kits with players generally using 1 maybe 2 shirts per match. Probably about 60/65 kits to be named/numbered with a minimal commercial return for the D1 clubs.

Seems mad to me.

talk about nero fiddling while rome burns.

what a pileof utter w**k

I've asked before, and I'll ask again: what are these mythical pressing issues, that SPFL should devote 100% of its immediate attention to?

Be very specific.

Dead against this. There are no positives to it. Nothing wrong with the good old fashioned 1-11. All this does is put clubs to a lot of additional expense for very little point.

If the numbskull who thought this idea up can't see that there are far more important things that need sorting out then he is clearly in the wrong job, and should be removed from post immediately. It beggars belief that at a time when the game is dying on it's backside and people are deserting in droves; they can't come up with anything better than that!

So what are your ideas then?

Understandable that Queen of the South fans generally oppose change - given the fanbase is already trapped in the 1950s with their pointless rattles.

It makes the league look better cosmetically. If your product looks better then people are more likely to buy it. I know I think it looks pretty amateurish to see guys running around with no name on the back of their shirt.

Also, the clubs will have agreed to this when they signed up for the merger/takeover. Obviously they don't see it as an unnecessary expense.

Absolutely. It's one of the secondary elements that makes television coverage of the lower leagues look like a pub league kick-about: BBC Alba's piss-poor camera angle being the other.

Colour me surprised that within a week of dissolving the useless diddy organisation that was the SFL, clubs are already taking small steps to bring the product into the 21st Century.

Apart from fans at the games who's going to notice the difference? Media coverage would be as well coming out my japs eye with the coverage the lower leagues get. Once rangers are back in the top flight it will go back to the way it was.

We also sell the area above the numbers on ours.

Archived