The 50 Most Influential Posters in P&B History

Look at that word association thread. People have over 5000 posts on that. Yep the quality of the forum isn't going down at all.

That thread was started in 2008, champ.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be right. Can't say for any certaintly. Perhaps it just feels like the most tiresome fuckwits are all weans. Or perhaps I'm just auld!

Aye, I think we're just both auld and decrepit. After all, we both remember when all this were fields!

Pompey and Olaf got banned and I believe Joozy did at one point too. They crossed lines and got punted, the same as it is now.

In the case of Olaf and Joozy in particular, there was a certain sadness they were banned, however much it may have been justified. Does anyone really give a f*ck if magee or L4L never post again in here?

I know. A thread like that has lasted 5 years and still on the first page of General Nonsense. A proud moment for everyone who has posted there at some point.

Presumably an even prouder moment for 2008 P&B, which started the thread and didn't let it drop to Page 150 by the end of a hectic week of top-quality threads and serious business.

In the case of Olaf and Joozy in particular, there was a certain sadness they were banned, however much it may have been justified. Does anyone really give a f*ck if magee or L4L never post again in here?

L4L was funny, I liked him. Perthshire Bell is also funny. McKee could be a dick at times but was generally a good poster. Magee was a terrorist supporting arse to be fair.

Somebody called Erin Go Bragh is the 25th most influential poster on a Scottish football forum?

Like our national team P&B obviously lacking in strength in depth. Calling any Brazilian posters out there with a Scottish grandad.

#AlbaGuBrath

People maybe don't get as much personal abuse now as they're not stupid enough to let everyone read their psychotic misogynistic blogs etc. The rules are the same, people are just more savvy these days.

Really? Lets try making this as simple as possible. Why do you think more people are being prosecuted for extreme comments on facebook and twitter than there used to be? Lets deal with a couple things here.

1. People aren't any more offensive than they used to be. Therefore, it isn't due to the rise of these sites. People were highly offensive to each other on twitter right from the off.

2. It isn't due to numbers of offensive comments. After all the number of prosecutions is still pretty small.

3. So if people are equally offensive to others, and the number of prosecutions is considerably smaller than the number of offensive comments, that means that something must be different. What is different?

4. Well could it be the type of person who uses twitter? Maybe people who are a bit more sensitive? Well perhaps...except that there have ALWAYS been sensitive people on the internet, and right from the off, people have complained.

5. So if people are still as offended, and the level of offensiveness is unchanged, then surely it can only be that making incredibly abusive comments on the internet is less acceptable than it used to be. Would you agree with that?

I think it's a dilution of quality, rather than a lack of it. It used to be that you could quite easily read every thread on General Nonsense (before all the other sub-forums, too) at a fairly leisurely pace, but now it's just too busy to even think of doing that without devoting a serious amount of time to it. It meant you read quite a lot of shit, but it also meant you had a much higher chance of stumbling across some of the real gold that does crop up fairly regularly.

Also, the forum is so popular now that it's hard to keep a track of who everyone is and get a general feel for people's "personalities", apart from the prolifi-trolls who appear in every thread, regardless of relevance.

I'm not sure how much of the above truly is down to how P&B has changed, and how much of it is just a change in my browsing habits, right enough.

Magee pretending to be L4L though is another level of crazyness

I think the Fives this year shows that P&B, has changed since it started out. Most years the fives were discussed weeks in advance, and often were talked about for the majority of the close season. People didn't bother this year, so much so that Div has decided that this year was the last one. Posters did meet up with each other more often when I started posting, doesn't seem to happen as much these days it would seem.

I think the forum is as good as it has ever been if I'm honest. I love the #dece patter merchants (#marshmallo, #mhak, #lexi), but I can also understand why folk get annoyed at it.

I think it's a dilution of quality, rather than a lack of it. It used to be that you could quite easily read every thread on General Nonsense (before all the other sub-forums, too) at a fairly leisurely pace, but now it's just too busy to even think of doing that without devoting a serious amount of time to it. It meant you read quite a lot of shit, but it also meant you had a much higher chance of stumbling across some of the real gold that does crop up fairly regularly.

Also, the forum is so popular now that it's hard to keep a track of who everyone is and get a general feel for people's "personalities", apart from the prolifi-trolls who appear in every thread, regardless of relevance.

Yip, on reflection, I agree with this.

Also, it's another reason why sub-forums were needed. If there was no sub-forums, GN would be simply impossible to keep up with these days, particularly for people like me who can't access it at work anymore.

Christ, what a bore.

We are talking about this forum, not Facebook or twitter. Unless by the rules changing you meant Facebook and twitter.

Either way, I'm sensing a lot of bitterness and resentment from you over the forum tbh.

You know when I said that the way the rules have changed on here is the same as the rules have changed on social media generally. This means that I was referring to them all. As I've made clear several times. You're no the sharpest needle in the park, are you?

Also, I've said several times that I don't think there is any change in the quality of poster. The only sadness I have is that people choose to go to other places like Twitter etc. for instant reactions rather than straight to p&b, but thats the evolution of the internet rather than anything specific to this forum.

The only sadness I have is that people choose to go to other places like Twitter etc. for instant reactions rather than straight to p&b, but thats the evolution of the internet rather than anything specific to this forum.

My fantastic (#betterthandece) patter is far more appreciated on Facebook than it is by the ignorami on here.

I'm a veritable like junkie.

This forum is infinitely better due to social media and the setup is different due to the great reputation the place has. It's far better now than it used to be.

If they posted more in the actual football sections they might stay relevant.

So basically the place is not as good as it used to be because you don't like the sub-forums? Nobody is forcing you to visit the site :lol:

Pompey and Olaf got banned and I believe Joozy did at one point too. They crossed lines and got punted, the same as it is now.

People maybe don't get as much personal abuse now as they're not stupid enough to let everyone read their psychotic misogynistic blogs etc. The rules are the same, people are just more savvy these days.

I really don't understand what you are moaning about here. It's a football forum first and foremost. if you want stimulating political or current affairs debate then find a forum that suits.

Christ, what a bore.

We are talking about this forum, not Facebook or twitter. Unless by the rules changing you meant Facebook and twitter.

Either way, I'm sensing a lot of bitterness and resentment from you over the forum tbh.

You are still a cock of the highest order.Corpus Christi

Yip, on reflection, I agree with this.

Also, it's another reason why sub-forums were needed. If there was no sub-forums, GN would be simply impossible to keep up with these days, particularly for people like me who can't access it at work anymore.

Aye, I'll have to concede the point as well. I suppose it helps that I'm a particularly fast reader (not arrogant, just saying), so I can read the forums quickly. But yeah, I'll concede to you both that my fragmentation argument was a bit weak. So I think my complaint is just purely the evolution of the internet in my case.

I think the Fives this year shows that P&B, has changed since it started out. Most years the fives were discussed weeks in advance, and often were talked about for the majority of the close season. People didn't bother this year, so much so that Div has decided that this year was the last one. Posters did meet up with each other more often when I started posting, doesn't seem to happen as much these days it would seem.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've been thinking about this, and figured it was because people were meeting up more for fives and subcrawls etc. So I'm not sure why the fives died out quite so dramatically!

Archived