Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

Just installed Outer Worlds for the first time. Temperature performance actually even worse than Cyberpunk [emoji23]
I think I may get an extra 120mm fan sooner rather than later.
How does it look? I played it on my old pc but never really got the impression I was missing out on much graphically.

First thing I had to do when I built my PC over Christmas was putting more fans in it

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

How does it look? I played it on my old pc but never really got the impression I was missing out on much graphically.

First thing I had to do when I built my PC over Christmas was putting more fans in it

Looks good I think. It's obviously a bit more comic book with the colour palette but I think most of the textures and lighting look very nice.

I'll grab some screenshots and report back.

Edited by GiGi

13 hours ago, Mr X said:

Spoiler

264216035_2021-01-22(7).thumb.png.4be503c4d44eeffd91afd5833fc01999.png

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Looks good :) 

Doesnt look a massive jump from what I had before but maybe thats because its screenshots rather than seeing it run.

I might stick it back on at some point, think I got bored of it though

Aye it's hardly groundbreaking, but it is good. As you say those are just still images, a lot of the flora and lava and shadows etc look good in motion.

58 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Just watched a tutorial for Hearts of Iron 4. Jesus f**k that game looks complicated. 

Does anyone play it? 

Believe me I've tried. 

It has a really dedicated community though which has intensive guides and wikis and Reddits for helping with accessibility. Kaiserreich is a good subreddit and mod for the game as well although The New Order is better if you still want the cool alternate history but want less of an intensive focus on war. It even has an independent Scotland as the last democracy in Europe!

Anyone I've asked for advice just said to play a mod I liked and abuse console commands so I don't have to worry about materials and that.

23 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Believe me I've tried. 

It has a really dedicated community though which has intensive guides and wikis and Reddits for helping with accessibility. Kaiserreich is a good subreddit and mod for the game as well although The New Order is better if you still want the cool alternate history but want less of an intensive focus on war. It even has an independent Scotland as the last democracy in Europe!

Anyone I've asked for advice just said to play a mod I liked and abuse console commands so I don't have to worry about materials and that.

So just buy the cadet version and play vanilla but fire up mods? Could handle that at a fiver tbh, not losing much after all - then install the mod.... Or so you have to negotiate various paid dlcs on top of that? 

Think I'll watch some let's plays - the dlc seem pretty unmissable (some of it anyway - they appear to add a lot to it.) but given my understanding is so limited it's hard to work out what is fluff and what is meat and bones. 

Edited by madwullie

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

So just buy the cadet version and play vanilla but fire up mods? Could handle that at a tuver tbh, not loosing much after all - then install the mod.... Or so you have to negotiate various paid dlcs on top of that? 

Think I'll watch some let's plays - the dlc seem pretty unmissable (some of it anyway - they appear to add a lot to it.) but given my understanding is so limited it's hard to work out what is fluff and what is meat and bones. 

I asked on a Discord and got this from "Gaddafi Stan Account" so not sure on his choice of stan but seems decent enough

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 23.10.52.png

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I'm guessing KR and TNO are acronyms for mods? 

Kaiserreich and the New Order.

From what I gather the mods for naval combat and espionage are pretty useful and a few others are more flavour for specific powers and regions. I haven't played really any of the base game though as it doesn't interest me haha. The mods are where it's at for me in a way it's not for Europa, CK2, or Victoria.

On 22/01/2021 at 03:15, GiGi said:

Just installed Outer Worlds for the first time. Temperature performance actually even worse than Cyberpunk 😂

I think I may get an extra 120mm fan sooner rather than later.

I ended up getting an extra 140mm since that was already what was installed, stuck with be Quiet and got an extra Silent Wings 3. Turns out you can install it with rubber pins and washers rather than metal screws to dampen vibration and make it a ton easier to install as well. The difference in idle thermals  is pretty good even with all the fans turned down, better than I expected. Hopefully bodes well for performance at the other end when they switch to faster settings.

I was putting the support bracket in for the graphics card as well, I noticed there was a bit of sag just due to the size and weight of the thing and how much it overshoots the motherboard, when I saw the silent/gaming bios switch I'd forgotten was there. It's been on silent as default, so flipped that switch while I was at it.

That should be me done fannying about it with it for the next 10 years now, can even take the film off the glass window!

Edit to add under load it's about the same, so in general running roughly 10 celsius cooler, +/- a couple either way. The main thing I've noticed isn't even the CPU/GPU running cooler but my SSDs, they are both down a lot.

Edited by GiGi

Picked up Gunfire Reborn today for £7.33. Early access Roguelite FPS. Seems proper good fun, had a couple of pals on and had a good laugh getting our arses handed to us by the first boss most of the night before finally getting past him and chucking it. Can see this being popular.

Pre-ordered (I know 😬) Humankind yesterday because I was reading an old article that said you got to try 150 turns with a pre-order. Turns out that offer was only during December. Oh well. Does look genuinely #dece and they've not been scared to let people play it so I'm pretty hopeful it won't turn out to be utter crap 

Edited by madwullie

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought the early release of a super indie game called NIMBY rails and it's weirdly addictive, even though it really should not be.  Basically you have an actual map of the world and you can build your own rail empire, mostly with lines and arrows on a map.  You can build your tracks pretty much anywhere with the only obstacles being roads and water.  I have built a transportation empire in Canada and parts of the USA (a part of the world with shitty passenger rail transport).  

A closeup of part of my glorious empire

image.thumb.png.e2c6e51840f3f339d1cc6ad5f63c0762.png

And my overall empire

image.thumb.png.34bb1579a9fa545f219a5b24bf2d7151.png