Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

Do they refund publishers for chargebacks on keys sold on their service with stolen card details? If not, they're taking money away from the people who made the game.

As far as I’m aware they just bulk buy games from different regions that have lower prices. Don’t think they’ve ever been nabbed on “stolen card details” like other stores…

55 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

As far as I’m aware they just bulk buy games from different regions that have lower prices. Don’t think they’ve ever been nabbed on “stolen card details” like other stores…

They aren't the ones who use the stolen cards; it's the people they buy from. They're also deliberately vague about where they get their products from.

You can do what you like, obviously, but I don't see the value in spending your money on games when (at best) the people who made them won't see any of it. You'd be as well to pirate then buy it through proper channels when the actual price drops down to what the resellers were listing it for.

• 3 months later...

Valve have cleared the Steam Deck backlog - if you order one you can expect it within a week.

Mine's is mostly a Game Pass streaming machine, but my two year old loves watching me play an emulated version of Crazy Taxi.

Getting into Disco Elysium as well, it feels like I've been on that for ages and still in the tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2022 at 19:15, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

+1 for the Steam Deck as well. I've pretty much used mine exclusively to play Outrun 2006 so far.

Outrun, a man of good taste! There was a brief time when the Vue in Inverness had an Outrun 2 cabinet (circa 2010) and I nearly shat my pants in excitement.

May I ask:

• is it the PC version or emulating a console version? 
  • If PC, how are your controls set up?
  • If PC, do you have problems with having your progress saved because the servers are offline?

I bought Outrun 2006 on Steam before I had a machine to play it on, I can't remember why I had that foresight but I'm glad I did now that it's de-listed. I have it on the Steam Deck now, but the progress saving issues I have stop me from playing it too much.

I think emulating the PS2 version might be the way to go but I've not tried a PS2 emulator yet.

Edited by bunglebonce

23 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Outrun, a man of good taste! There was a brief time when the Vue in Inverness had an Outrun 2 cabinet (circa 2010) and I nearly shat my pants in excitement.

May I ask:

• is it the PC version or emulating a console version? 
  • If PC, how are your controls set up?
  • If PC, do you have problems with having your progress saved because the servers are offline?

I bought Outrun 2006 on Steam before I had a machine to play it on, I can't remember why I had that foresight but I'm glad I did now that it's de-listed. I have it on the Steam Deck now, but the progress saving issues I have stop me from playing it too much.

I think emulating the PS2 version might be the way to go but I've not tried a PS2 emulator yet.

It's the PC version I've got running. I followed the instructions from this Reddit post and it worked a treat. https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xfe13d/having_trouble_running_outrun_2006/irmu45x/

There is a default control setting for an Xbox controller, which works pretty much the same the Steam Deck controls. I assume this comes from the Proton version you choose? You can also assign each button manually from the options screen within the game.

It saves you single player progress locally, so there's no issues with the servers being down

I've been playing the Steam-edition of Outrun 2006 for years without it saving locally for me 😬  It was fine until they scrapped the server.

My version never seems to recognise controller support either, I've always had to just emulate keyboard controls. I must try that version out, thanks SJB.

Edited by bunglebonce

On 07/10/2022 at 14:16, bunglebonce said:

Getting into Disco Elysium as well, it feels like I've been on that for ages and still in the tutorial.

That actually put me off a bit. I spent a few hours with it after getting it for free from Epic Game Store, and I'm all for plenty of content, but I barely got past the opening conversation with the wee c**t by the corpse. Saved the game, but I'd forgotten what I was supposed to be doing by the time I came back to it. Shame.

• 2 months later...
On 22/10/2022 at 21:58, BFTD said:

That actually put me off a bit. I spent a few hours with it after getting it for free from Epic Game Store, and I'm all for plenty of content, but I barely got past the opening conversation with the wee c**t by the corpse. Saved the game, but I'd forgotten what I was supposed to be doing by the time I came back to it. Shame.

I eventually played through Disco Elysium. It's excellent and unlike most games I've played before, but it needs patience because it was a real slow burner from my experience.

Currently playing Command and Conquer Remastered Collection on the Steam Deck. It (Red Alert) is as good as I remembered. 

Purchased Tomb Raider 3 from CD Keys and gave that a go last night. I was 8 when it came out. Loved the games but struggled as well. Not sure if I actually played it when it came out or whether I was a few years older. 

Can see a child would struggle when replaying it now. No guidance whatsoever, not even the controls. 

I managed to finish the first & 4th as a kid. Didn't have the second one. Played through a remaster of the original on the 360 that was delivered as two paid dlc pieces of content for one of the TR's released during that period..

TR3 is as blocky as a I remember. Can see why they appealed at the time though. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

17 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Can see a child would struggle when replaying it now. No guidance whatsoever, not even the controls. 

I played the first and a bit of the second. I kind of like the 'tank' controls of spinning around on the spot before moving, but that's only because I learned it at the time. I couldn't imagine someone new to those games wanting to use controls like that now.

Edited by bunglebonce

On 16/01/2023 at 21:07, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

TR3 is as blocky as a I remember. Can see why they appealed at the time though. 

They were superb in their time in the early days of fully 3D games, they have aged fairly poorly though, don't get me wrong I have a lot of nostalgic love for them but they are not games I ever went back too or ever want to, TR3 in particular was bathshit hard, you would just flat out die if you didn't touch the controller in the first 10 seconds but yeah a definite fondness for them, one of the best game series to come out of the UK. Be interesting to see how Tomb Raider Reloaded turns out 

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Stray on the Steam Christmas sale. Quite an engaging little game, not the longest game play and the second to last level really jumps the difficultly of finding the Easter eggs. Not bad at all on the PC EXCEPT the one scene trying to scamper down the drainage ditch while being chased the camera is fixed, which negates the mouse direction change and makes you use a ludicrous finger dance to complete. Turns out it’s easy on the game pad, but a real b*****d on the keyboard/mouse.

Very much enjoyed it and the concept is brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

After buying it in the winter sale in 2020, finally got round to finishing the first Dishonoured.

Cracking game, loved the gameplay and Victorian/steampunk setting. Ideally you can be as stealthy or as bloodthirsty as it looks like the ending changes depending on how you play through.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I can't understate quite how fucking good it is to have Championship Manager 01/02 running on the Steam Deck.

Did you have a mouse attached or is CM easier to control with the Deck's controllers? I tried one of the Football Managers and the Deck's controls were a bit finicky and it wasn't pleasant.

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Did you have a mouse attached or is CM easier to control with the Deck's controllers? I tried one of the Football Managers and the Deck's controls were a bit finicky and it wasn't pleasant.

I use the Deck's right trackpad as a mouse. I think the standard 'mouse only' config has the trackpad emulating a trackball as the default option. I use that, bump the sensitivity up a bit and have the triggers for the mouse's clicking buttons (which I think is also the default setting). I set the A button to emulate the space bar.

I find that set-up works pretty well. There is only so much interaction needed in the old CM games compared to the modern FM titles, which might explain why I am getting on with it so well.

Edited by bunglebonce