Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

I'm on to biome 5 (and have seen biome 6, which is yet uninhabited because they haven't finished it yet) after taking down the 4th boss. Was a bit tougher for a change. Starting to get to late game gear now I think.

How "heavy" is Valheim specs-wise?  It's rare nowadays that you get a complete PC exclusive that I really want to play, and I'm not really that well set up to enjoy them.  Got a desktop that could likely easily handle it, but I very rarely get the chance to sit down and use it for gaming.  Much easier just to chuck on the PS5 in a shared room.  But if it would work on a laptop...

How "heavy" is Valheim specs-wise?  It's rare nowadays that you get a complete PC exclusive that I really want to play, and I'm not really that well set up to enjoy them.  Got a desktop that could likely easily handle it, but I very rarely get the chance to sit down and use it for gaming.  Much easier just to chuck on the PS5 in a shared room.  But if it would work on a laptop...
Have a look at geforce now if you have a half decent Internet connection. Basically cloud gaming games which you own or have purchased in your steam/epic/ubisoft launchers.
Doesn't work with every title but Valheim is one of them.
There's a free version that let's you play in one hour sessions or £25 for 6 months let's you play for 6 hour sessions and also has added graphical effects like Ray tracing etc.

18 hours ago, forameus said:

• Processor: 2.6 GHz Quad Core or similar
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 950 or Radeon HD 7970
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1 GB available space

It's fairly demanding if you use high-ish settings. Those are the minimum specs on steam.

11 hours ago, GiGi said:
  • Processor: 2.6 GHz Quad Core or similar
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 950 or Radeon HD 7970
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1 GB available space

It's fairly demanding if you use high-ish settings. Those are the minimum specs on steam.

I'm surprised it's that beastly tbh

You know, I'd always dinghyed it because I thought I wouldn't enjoy that type of game. Will check out some videos 
The key premise of the game is interaction with other players. No set objectives, no kill feed, no rulebook.

You need to dedicate 3 or 4 hours at a time really, cant just jump on for half an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying Valheim purely for the amount of silly shit you can do/build.

Home base has a gigantic and deep moat of doom, houses with portals up trees in the swamp, running like hell from stone golems while unearthing entire silver nodes, underground bases in the mountains etc. It's a laugh. 

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Anyone else playing "Art of Rally"?

Don't be fooled by the cutesy graphics, it's not some arcadey Micromachines clone. It's a real challenge to get to grips with, but I'm having an absolute blast playing it.  A wee gem of a game.

That looks excellent 

Still having a ball with Art of Rally. Have unlocked about half the gated cars and I'm busy playing through the first 3 groups on time-trial to figure out which cars I like and which I don't.

Set some top 10 in the world times on a couple of the Finland stages.

Group 2 - das 220, Esky Mk1, and 119I are all quick and fairly easy to master

Group 3 - Pebble v2, Nono 313, both quick and easy to drive, Rotary 3 I think is even faster, but it's a bit easier to get tank-slappers on and lose it.

Group 4 - Das Whip I think is the fastest drivable car, Cinq is quick but it's twitchy because of the short wheelbase. Turbo brick is easy to drive but doesn't quite have the pace of the other two.

Nightmares to avoid - Meanie, too oversteery, hits the limiter early on the straights. Gorde, it's not too bad, but it's difficult to set quick times because the arse just wants to slide forever as soon as you put the power down. 119E - possibly a decent car, but I can't get to grips with the heavy arse end and weird handling. Hepta - like a brick on rails. Wedge - totally undrivable, suspect it's possibly quick in the hands of robot-like players, but I can barely keep the thing facing in the right direction. Super Montaine - ok I suppose, but not on a par with the others in class because you can't hit the throttle at all until the nose is straight on.

Looking forward to unlocking some Group B's and the remaining one or two from earlier Groups.

Seriously, if you are deliberating getting this game, stop delaying and give the guy your £15. It's a one-man show, and he's already put out one update and has another 'Kenya' themed one out in summer 2021.

Edited by Boo Khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Gears 5 on sale on Steam. Haven't played a Gears game since 2 or 3 on the Xbox, me and my mate used to play co-op campaigns in our teens, bit of nostalgia. They really haven't changed the formula either.

7 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Gears 5 on sale on Steam. Haven't played a Gears game since 2 or 3 on the Xbox, me and my mate used to play co-op campaigns in our teens, bit of nostalgia. They really haven't changed the formula either.

It's better than 4 but not by much. A great Game Pass addition tho as I can keep up with the series without paying anything. Think I'd have been much harsher on stuff like that or Outer Worlds if I'd had to pay 40 quid for the privilege of playing them over a weekend. Think it's stuff like that which will eventually make the difference between Xbox and Sony.

58 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's better than 4 but not by much. A great Game Pass addition tho as I can keep up with the series without paying anything. Think I'd have been much harsher on stuff like that or Outer Worlds if I'd had to pay 40 quid for the privilege of playing them over a weekend. Think it's stuff like that which will eventually make the difference between Xbox and Sony.

The only thing I'm not enjoying is looking at the Xbox profile name I made when I was still a kid. Logged in with my email address to be welcomed with some big cringe.

Edited by GiGi

23 minutes ago, GiGi said:

The only thing I'm not enjoying is looking at the Xbox profile name I made when I was still a kid. Logged in with my email address to be welcomed with some big cringe.

I'm sad in a way I regularly changed accounts but I'm glad I didn't get that. I still have some long-lost friends (and Limmy!) in my friends list and oof some of the names. 

25 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Is the number 420 involved?

So finally got round to the infamous Jeff level in Half Life Alyx.  It was fun, but not as terror inducing as I was lead to believe.  But that's more the fault of people telling me about it.  I knew what to expect.  It actually got me thinking about how I would do a VR game.  I have came up with a decent little idea.  I have zero art skill or computer programming skill.  I used to be close friends in school with someone who is in the industry.  So you never know.

Actually you do, I don't even have his number anymore.