Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

33 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Bought this PC today, upped the RAM to 32GB (I'm sure 16GB would have been enough but equally my current PC has 16 so I wanted moar from my new one).

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-enigma-enthusiast-ryzen-7-3700x-geforce-rtx-3070-fs-1dw-og.html

I called them and checked about delivery and they said as long as the bank authorises the card payment they'll deliver to any address.

Nice. Did they give you an ETA for it? I'm still in PSU purgatory but as far as I know I'm fine for everything else. I ordered about 4 weeks ago as well.

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

Nice. Did they give you an ETA for it? I'm still in PSU purgatory but as far as I know I'm fine for everything else. I ordered about 4 weeks ago as well.

Where are you getting your PC and what power supply are they waiting for? PSUs are dear but you can still get them.

On 08/01/2021 at 22:31, Quiet Riot said:

Where are you getting your PC and what power supply are they waiting for? PSUs are dear but you can still get them.

OcUK. I've confirmed they have the PSU and are just waiting for the systems guys to scan the final parts and then they'll start the build. About time it's been over a month.

Also my mate in Germany is wanting some of my spare parts including that 2070 Super but fucking Brexit is going to make getting it there expensive for me and for him. 15% import tax on value of gifts.

8 hours ago, GiGi said:

OcUK. I've confirmed they have the PSU and are just waiting for the systems guys to scan the final parts and then they'll start the build. About time it's been over a month.

Also my mate in Germany is wanting some of my spare parts including that 2070 Super but fucking Brexit is going to make getting it there expensive for me and for him. 15% import tax on value of gifts.

Graphics card prices are mental world-wide. Even old ones.  I put an RX 580 in a PC for a pal in September and it cost £150. Same card is now £220 minimum.  That's a 4-5 year old card.  It's fucking miners that's the problem again.  Looks like I will have to stick with my non-Super 2070 for now.

Never liked Overclockers, always thought they were expensive and they seem to be doing some serious scalping on new CPUs & GPUs compared with other retailers.  Can't believe it's a power supply they're waiting on.  They seem reasonable right now if you shop around.

Edited by Quiet Riot
Can't read what I'm replying to.

2 hours ago, Quiet Riot said:

Graphics card prices are mental world-wide. Even old ones.  I put an RX 580 in a PC for a pal in September and it cost £150. Same card is now £220 minimum.  That's a 4-5 year old card.  It's fucking miners that's the problem again.  Looks like I will have to stick with my non-Super 2070 for now.

Never liked Overclockers, always thought they were expensive and they seem to be doing some serious scalping on new CPUs & GPUs compared with other retailers.  Can't believe it's a power supply they're waiting on.  They seem reasonable right now if you shop around.

It's a full build. I'm not shopping for individual parts. Can't be arsed with it any more.

Also the power supplies are in almost as short supply as the GPUs since the new cards all have large power draw, and spikes that won't be handled by a 550-650W unit. So 750-850W PSUs are being snapped up to power the 3080s and 90s.

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

It's a full build. I'm not shopping for individual parts. Can't be arsed with it any more.

Also the power supplies are in almost as short supply as the GPUs since the new cards all have large power draw, and spikes that won't be handled by a 550-650W unit. So 750-850W PSUs are being snapped up to power the 3080s and 90s.

Fully Modular Corsair 850W 80+Gold for £115 on Amazon.  They have been cheaper but it's not mental.

And that's retail.

Edited by Quiet Riot

On 06/01/2021 at 22:07, GNU_Linux said:

The Halo Master Chief Collection on PC requiring a microsoft account when bought through Steam is really really dumb.

And it's happened again. Doom Eternal tries to force setting up a bethesda.net account in order to play the game. It's at least by passable by setting steam to offline mode & setting a few launch flags in the launch options of the game. 12 Ruel Street me Todd Howard.

Digital only gaming is some laugh eh.

And it's happened again. Doom Eternal tries to force setting up a bethesda.net account in order to play the game. It's at least by passable by setting steam to offline mode & setting a few launch flags in the launch options of the game. 12 Ruel Street me Todd Howard.

Digital only gaming is some laugh eh.
It's a fucking nightmare. I think I have half a dozen stores installed. I bought one game through Ubisoft but its installed on Epic (or maybe the other way round).

That's why I use playnite to organise all the games

I got my PC. That Suprim X card is ridiculously big. It's bigger than my keyboard. Dwarfs the 2070S I've got here.

I played an hour on Witcher 3 last night on ultra settings and I could only get it just warm enough for the fans to come on once, for about 10 seconds. Pretty pleased with the free upgrade since it was supposed to be a Gigabyte gaming OC like the card below it.

Spoiler

IMG_20210119_103646.thumb.jpg.39c12df2fb3b6af4f05e92a34905c174.jpg

I got my PC. That Suprim X card is ridiculously big. It's bigger than my keyboard. Dwarfs the 2070S I've got here.
I played an hour on Witcher 3 last night on ultra settings and I could only get it just warm enough for the fans to come on once, for about 10 seconds. Pretty pleased with the free upgrade since it was supposed to be a Gigabyte gaming OC like the card below it.

Spoiler

IMG_20210119_103646.thumb.jpg.39c12df2fb3b6af4f05e92a34905c174.jpg

Nice. Is it a 3080?

I've been playing around with the settings and reshades on rdr2. f**k me it looks good :)

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Nice. Is it a 3080?

I've been playing around with the settings and reshades on rdr2. f**k me it looks good :)

Aye. I might install Cyberpunk again for a bit just to see how it looks with everything dialled up. Still need to get a new monitor as well, once my mate has the 2070 that should fund it. Looking at the LG Ultragear, sounds about the best for my budget.

Aye. I might install Cyberpunk again for a bit just to see how it looks with everything dialled up. Still need to get a new monitor as well, once my mate has the 2070 that should fund it. Looking at the LG Ultragear, sounds about the best for my budget.
After reading how even a 3090 struggles with cyberpunk at 4k I've no desire to even try it lol

I've given up one the idea on playing on a monitor. Ive been using the Nvidia Shield to stream but for stuff like rdr2 in hdr ive just connected the TV direct.

Plus working from home means I'm sat at my desk all day as it is.

46 minutes ago, Mr X said:

After reading how even a 3090 struggles with cyberpunk at 4k I've no desire to even try it lol

I've given up one the idea on playing on a monitor. Ive been using the Nvidia Shield to stream but for stuff like rdr2 in hdr ive just connected the TV direct.

Plus working from home means I'm sat at my desk all day as it is.

3090 is the biggest overkill for gaming I've ever seen. By the time all those extra cuda cores and memory become useful we'll be onto the 40 series and it'll probably be outperformed by a more affordable card.

Not to mention it's twice the price of a 3080.

On some hardware forums I've seen people picking them up for no other reason than they couldn't get a 3070 or 3080. Mental.

Edited by GiGi

3090 is the biggest overkill for gaming I've ever seen. By the time all those extra cuda cores and memory become useful we'll be onto the 40 series and it'll probably be outperformed by a more affordable card.
Not to mention it's twice the price of a 3080.
On some hardware forums I've seen people picking them up for no other reason than they couldn't get a 3070 or 3080. Mental.
I know. I don't think it's any surprise that there's been reasonable availability of the 3090s through all this. Only the crazy and the rich aren't biuing them!

Makes it even more mental that even it struggles with cyberpunk

On 19/01/2021 at 15:24, Mr X said:

I know. I don't think it's any surprise that there's been reasonable availability of the 3090s through all this. Only the crazy and the rich aren't biuing them!

Makes it even more mental that even it struggles with cyberpunk

So I've just installed Cyberpunk again and played for about an hour and recorded performance along the way. With everything cranked up to ultra the game performs pretty majestically as it should on a good rig, but yeahhh it got hot. A liquid cooled CPU maxing at 80°C and GPU not far behind. It's a fairly cheap AIO cooler but even still. My case isn't one of the best for airflow and temps since I went with a lower noise setup but the difference between Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 when both played at max is staggering. Raytracing and DLSS will do that I suppose.

In the next year or 2 it probably won't be a bad idea for me to add at least another intake fan, newer games will make this a bit toasty.

Edited by GiGi

Just a moment to acknowledge how much it costs to buy a PSU for a modern gaming PC now. I still have it in my head that it's something you just bung £20 on, or use the one that came with your case.

Of course, along with supplying far more power, the expensive ones are also far less likely to form a suicide pact with your motherboard, CPU, memory, and anything else it can kill before the circuit breaker trips. Also, I got an OCZ (I think) power supply replaced under warranty when it died after six years of use. That's pretty impressive.

Just installed Outer Worlds for the first time. Temperature performance actually even worse than Cyberpunk 😂

I think I may get an extra 120mm fan sooner rather than later.